New A/T Tire recommendations, help!

BKLC

📛 Founding Member
Aug 20, 2024
Los Angeles
Vehicles
2024 Land Cruiser - Land Cruiser w/Premium Package
Hi!

I purchased a brand new LC, LC trim - 18" stock wheels. I'm looking for my first set of A/T tires but there's so many options out there, candidly - I have no idea where to start. Can someone point me in the direction of where to find some data/statistics to start my research? I'm looking to add A/T tires, priorities are ranked in order:
  • Preserve my MPG, without additional road noise
  • 3-peak rated as I snowboard often
  • I'll likely spend 80% of my time on-road, so highway comfort > off road capabilities. I'll do some light trails to explore off-roading and when I navigate fishing/hiking routes - think fire trails at best
  • I'd like the largest tires that'll fit stock, without a lift, without rubbing
  • No crazy rock climbing in my future
There's no shortage of anecdotal feedback, everyone seems to have brand loyalty - but the difficulty is that opinions go both ways. Where do I start?

Hi!

I purchased a brand new LC, LC trim - 18" stock wheels. I'm looking for my first set of A/T tires but there's so many options out there, candidly - I have no idea where to start. Can someone point me in the direction of where to find some data/statistics to start my research? I'm looking to add A/T tires, priorities are ranked in order:
  • I'll likely spend 80% of my time on-road, so highway comfort > off road capabilities. I'll do some light trails to explore off-roading and when I navigate fishing/hiking routes - think fire trails at best
There's no shortage of anecdotal feedback, everyone seems to have brand loyalty - but the difficulty is that opinions go both ways. Where do I start?
I’m looking for similar. I liked the Michelin. Ice-X - seemed like it fit most of my categories. Only drawback I’m thinking is its appearance is not very aggressive.

It matters how they wear, will some if the aggressive Tires be loud after 15K whatever ..
I thought about open country but I do think I watched Tyre video I was thinking it hurts MPG .
I’m in the same boat with you. I have analysis paralysis on which tire to choose. I am fine with running my stock tires for a while but at some point, I’d like to have a tire in mind so that when it’s time to trade out I can be looking for the better deals out there as well as availability issues.
My son just moved Montana. I ordered ice X Michelin tires for his 4runner, in June from my local store-just came in yesterday. I realize it wasn’t a popular month to order them, but still that’s a wait, due to the wait, it’s a shipping thing now.

Yokohama Geolandar AT has been my go to for what you're describing for years on my Tacoma. I don't put extra weight in the back and I've never had any trouble driving through the Colorado mountains to go snowboarding. As far as size, just keep it stock 265/70r18, those are damn near 33s.

Do NOT get Michelin Ice X unless there is snow and ice on the ground most of the year. It has a very soft rubber compound and will get destroyed on the pavement. I used them in Idaho on my Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R during the snow and ice months of the year, they worked great in snow and ice!!

Toyo Open Country ATIII are very good. And have the ‘triple peak snow and ice’ rating. Many people used them year round in Idaho. I will put them on Miss Daisy when the stock Michelins are worn out, or i find the need to the snow and ice rating once I am finally moved to NC from Fla. They are not much heavier than the stock Michelins, so should not kill the fuel economy, unless you get the LT labeled tires, E rated tires, which are significantly heavier, and won’t ride as well as the Toyo Open Country ATIII’s., which like the Michelins, also have a quiet ride. Several here have given them the thumbs up. There are several videos on YouTube that go over the Toyo’s very well. They, like many other tires, might not do so well in the Missouri wet mud gumbo. You may need a tire that is specifically designed for use in mud, which will probably be louder and give you a ruff ride.

I might be wrong. Just ask my X.

Good luck!

I have a set of Toyo open country 33" tires that will be replaced with 34" Toyo open country. I live in San Diego and you can pick them up in a week if your interested. I'm asking $650 for the set.

Do NOT get Michelin Ice X unless there is snow and ice on the ground most of the year. It has a very soft rubber compound and will get destroyed on the pavement. I used them in Idaho on my Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R during the snow and ice months of the year, they worked great in snow and ice!!

Toyo Open Country ATIII are very good. And have the ‘triple peak snow and ice’ rating. Many people used them year round in Idaho. I will put them on Miss Daisy when the stock Michelins are worn out, or i find the need to the snow and ice rating once I am finally moved to NC from Fla. They are not much heavier than the stock Michelins, so should not kill the fuel economy, unless you get the LT labeled tires, E rated tires, which are significantly heavier, and won’t ride as well as the Toyo Open Country ATIII’s., which like the Michelins, also have a quiet ride. Several here have given them the thumbs up. There are several videos on YouTube that go over the Toyo’s very well. They, like many other tires, might not do so well in the Missouri wet mud gumbo. You may need a tire that is specifically designed for use in mud, which will probably be louder and give you a ruff ride.

I might be wrong. Just ask my X.

Good luck!
I’m not off Roading here. So I don’t need to deal with mud Tires at all. Though I do know what you’re saying. So it’s all nice weather, though we do experience snow, freezing rain, and ice in the winter, but our winters are significantly smaller than a place like Montana. But .. takes a little longer to melt - our snow does not melt as fast as a place like Colorado. Where my daughter lives near Denver and says the snow is gone in a day.
But when in Colorado we do mild /mod off road trail driving were you encounter some washouts and some rocks for sure- 4WD only paths for sure -
90% of my driving is here where it is a mix of seasons. Summer feeling like it’s the longest🥵
Thanks for ur advice-and your opinion, opinions are always welcome for me!

Yokohama Geolandar AT has been my go to for what you're describing for years on my Tacoma. I don't put extra weight in the back and I've never had any trouble driving through the Colorado mountains to go snowboarding. As far as size, just keep it stock 265/70r18, those are damn near 33s.
Ok, thanks I’ll look at those also. I’m not sure what tire my daughter chose for Colorado driving (Subaru ) but I do know they typed her tires and that made a huge difference..
thanks for ur advice!

Hi!

I think you and I are after the same tire! Let me know what you decide on

Ok, thanks I’ll look at those also. I’m not sure what tire my daughter chose for Colorado driving (Subaru ) but I do know they typed her tires and that made a huge difference..
thanks for ur advice!
Tire siping makes a huge difference!!

I would avoid LT rated tires, unless you are willing to take a hit on fuel economy.

I installed Falken Rubitreks 265/70/R18. They’re a great A/T but weight much less than the Wildpeaks. I didn’t see a big MPG difference. In fact, just did a 600 mile road trip and saw 21.9-23.1 MPG. I believe they are more quiet of the highway too.

I installed Falken Rubitreks 265/70/R18. They’re a great A/T but weight much less than the Wildpeaks. I didn’t see a big MPG difference. In fact, just did a 600 mile road trip and saw 21.9-23.1 MPG. I believe they are more quiet of the highway too.
Not trying to hijack BKLC OP-
But glad for these options to look at - I only knew of wildpeaks - I’ll be looking at these also

I have a set of Toyo open country 33" tires that will be replaced with 34" Toyo open country. I live in San Diego and you can pick them up in a week if your interested. I'm asking $650 for the set.
what's the load on the 33s? 265/70/R18?

Hi!

Here is a link that may help you.

Hi!

See the spreadsheet linked in my signature.

Back