New 2024 Land Cruiser

Ginabrockinton

πŸ“› Founding Member
Jul 15, 2023
Media
Hi, i just got the first Land Cruiser in my area and I love it. My only complaints are that i had to pay a 10,000 over MSRP and when i asked if they were marking it up and they said no but when I picked it up they didn't have the sticker and i missed it on the paperwork. I know duh! But I was so excited I didn't realize it was marked up. They said there would be no more till probably next year. Now I'm seeing more are available. I'm wondering if they will be marked up?
The only thing I don't like is the console is a cool box and tiny.
IMG_1593.jpeg

Congratulations. Outstanding Landcruiser. Great color as well.
Re the window sticker and the dealer not showing it to you. That is very shady. They must provide the window sticker with the delivery of the vehicle.
I presume you have emails indicating there would be no markup and you would pay MSRP.
I would press the issue as $10k is a significant amount of money. If need be, I would discuss with legal counsel.

Don't let it sour your Landcruiser. As It is absolutely gorgeous and well done. I would collegiately call the manager
and discuss your concern and see what they are planning on doing. If they do not respond positively, simply have
your attorney give them a call and let he/she do their work.

I take if from your responses you are happy with the car, had a shady dealer take advantage of your excitement but are ready to just move on and enjoy the cruiser. Some things in life are worth fighting for- 10k is all relative in the grand scheme of things. I know people that have paid 15k over so you can look at it as if you got a deal- ha. The only thing is I hate, seeing the dealer just get away with it. Enjoy the new ride- it is awesome.

I agree with you that at the end of the day, it's not the end of the world in the grand scheme. However, the issue I see is the dishonest/lying that the dealer clearly did. Whether it's a lie about $10.00 or $10M, it's still a lie and this should be addressed.

Just like when a person lies to you about the smallest thing, you don't trust a word they say and you quickly get away from this person.

I would address this issue with this shady dealer.

Wow! She is one handsome lady!!!

Absolutely get advice from an attorney.

My dealer had a 5K mark up but let me choose product add-ons in that amount! Perhaps they would do that to make you happy.

As pointed out, over the life of your ownership, it is still worth it.

I agree with you that at the end of the day, it's not the end of the world in the grand scheme. However, the issue I see is the dishonest/lying that the dealer clearly did. Whether it's a lie about $10.00 or $10M, it's still a lie and this should be addressed.

Just like when a person lies to you about the smallest thing, you don't trust a word they say and you quickly get away from this person.

I would address this issue with this shady dealer.
I did talk with the sales person who I really liked and told him I believe in transparency and I might have waited had I known and he was apologetic since he knew I had asked him on the front end. He cited that it was on the paperwork and most dealerships were charging more than $10,0000. I chose to keep it. I saw more were available and I was just curious if they were marking them up. Then I would complain to dealership since they also told me they didn't expect to get anymore this year.

I did talk with the sales person who I really liked and told him I believe in transparency and I might have waited had I known and he was apologetic since he knew I had asked him on the front end. He cited that it was on the paperwork and most dealerships were charging more than $10,0000. I chose to keep it. I saw more were available and I was just curious if they were marking them up. Then I would complain to dealership since they also told me they didn't expect to get anymore this year.
Hi Gina! Beautiful truck! I would say 5k over is at least paying because you can’t wait. 10k is upsetting, this isn’t California, Seattle, or the Northeast. It’s Arkansas (not a large market). Sounds like taking advantage of you with a smile on their face. I will say i have the same exact truck and it took me a couple weeks to get over the price / horrible dealer experience, so hang in there. Now I’m just in love and I think you will be too. I can only hope they didn’t get you for financing, warranties, service packages, theft protection, windshield replacement etc etc. if they did we’re talking about well over 100k. please let me know and I’ll get sassy for you if needed! I submitted a formal detailed complaint on Toyota.com about my dealership experience and then decided to move on. I would say at least proceed with that. This country is ruthless :(. I’m here for you Gina! Take care !

Just because everyone is doing it doesn't make it right or legal. If they did not clearly advise you while negotiating the purchase price that there would be a $10k increase above the MSRP due at the date of the sale, then it was a unilateral contract and as such, not a valid contract.

You do have a duty, of course, to read the contract. However, if you relied on numerous statements and writings from the dealer that it would be sold to you at MSRP, then you have been damaged.

Now, is it worth doing anything about it. That's up to you. I, personally, would do something about it. And if the dealer is wise at all, they will make it right to you (whatever that would be to you) in order to preserve their reputation.

It sounds like you are highly impressed with the LC and that is great. So, you may be content with paying it. I wouldn't be content base on the lie told and the misrepresentation.

Geeez, until you sign a contract the dealer can raise or lower the price however many times they want and it's NOT illegal to do so! It is also not illegal for you to change your mind and back out of a deal, unless you've signed a contract and even then there are so many loopholes for high pressure sales etc.......

The bottom line is....... you do not have to buy the vehicle if you don't agree on the price. All this talk about legal action ....yadda yadda...... unless there isn't a charge for the legal consult, you would be wasting money.

Now reporting them to Toyota for shoddy sales practices, not a bad idea.

"just my 2cents"

Geeez, until you sign a contract the dealer can raise or lower the price however many times they want and it's NOT illegal to do so! It is also not illegal for you to change your mind and back out of a deal, unless you've signed a contract and even then there are so many loopholes for high pressure sales etc.......

The bottom line is....... you do not have to buy the vehicle if you don't agree on the price. All this talk about legal action ....yadda yadda...... unless there isn't a charge for the legal consult, you would be wasting money.

Now reporting them to Toyota for shoddy sales practices, not a bad idea.

"just my 2cents"
There very much are legal consequences to a party for failure to follow the terms of a purchase agreement.
If a party relies on promises, they have damages.

Last edited:
There are very much are legal consequences to a party for failure to follow the terms of a purchase agreement.
If a party relies on promises, they have damages.
So you're saying that if I call a dealer on the phone and they state to me that they'll sell at MSPR and I go to the dealership and they write up a deal that's over MSRP, that I can sue for damages, even if I don't agree or sign?.... Nuts

Until a contract is signed (purchase agreement is a contract) there are no binding terms that must be followed.

Without a signed contract (purchase agreement is a contract) you would be entitled to zip compensation.

Last edited:
Hi Gina! Beautiful truck! I would say 5k over is at least paying because you can’t wait. 10k is upsetting, this isn’t California, Seattle, or the Northeast. It’s Arkansas (not a large market). Sounds like taking advantage of you with a smile on their face. I will say i have the same exact truck and it took me a couple weeks to get over the price / horrible dealer experience, so hang in there. Now I’m just in love and I think you will be too. I can only hope they didn’t get you for financing, warranties, service packages, theft protection, windshield replacement etc etc. if they did we’re talking about well over 100k. please let me know and I’ll get sassy for you if needed! I submitted a formal detailed complaint on Toyota.com about my dealership experience and then decided to move on. I would say at least proceed with that. This country is ruthless :(. I’m here for you Gina! Take care !
Thank you so much. I wish I had made more of a fuss. They told me they had an offer for $20.000 over MSRP so I do feel manipulated. I think I'll just move on, enjoy my truck and learn an expensive lesson

Thank you so much. I wish I had made more of a fuss. They told me they had an offer for $20.000 over MSRP so I do feel manipulated. I think I'll just move on, enjoy my truck and learn an expensive lesson
I don't think you made a bad deal at all! It's far better than mine. I have seen a majority of dealers at 10K over MSRP.

At the end of the day, it's all about the "Grin Factor" (how big is your grin when you're driving your new LC).

Congratulations. Outstanding Landcruiser. Great color as well.
Re the window sticker and the dealer not showing it to you. That is very shady. They must provide the window sticker with the delivery of the vehicle.
I presume you have emails indicating there would be no markup and you would pay MSRP.
I would press the issue as $10k is a significant amount of money. If need be, I would discuss with legal counsel.

Don't let it sour your Landcruiser. As It is absolutely gorgeous and well done. I would collegiately call the manager
and discuss your concern and see what they are planning on doing. If they do not respond positively, simply have
your attorney give them a call and let he/she do their work.
Agreed. There is absolutely no way shady dealers should be allowed to walk. Not sure if there is a governing body that oversees the industry there, but here in Canada there are provincial automotive dealership watchdogs to ensure this kind of crap doesn't happen without consequences.

Enjoy your truck Gina. Hope you have a great summer :)

I'm not a lawyer and I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but this just sucks!

1. Don't blindly trust ANY dealer
2. Read everything before you sign it (maybe nobody does, but that is on us then)
3. Check all the numbers
4. Make sure that you fully understand everything you sign
5. See #1

Back