My short test drive

spyderman01

📛 Founding Member
Feb 20, 2024
Rockledge, FL
I finally was able to get out and test drive a LC this weekend. It was a short around the block drive, though I could get up some speed on one of the roads. As such, I don't have any feedback on highway driving.

When I arrived at the dealer, I was amazed that they had so many in stock, I think about 20, 9 of which were 1958's, 9 were FE's and 2 LC both without premium. With this many in stock and they have many more on the way, I can only hope that prices will be reasonable soon. My main complaint is that I get to deal with the SE Toyota distributor and they like to put useless stuff on there. When I asked the salesman if I reserved one that is in transit, could they have the port leave all the junk off and they were unwilling. I think it might be possible, but I was passed down to a new salesman when I came in as I said I only wanted to test drive one.

Anyway, around town it was quiet and smooth. There was this clicking/rattling sound in the engine and not sure what that is. It was a little disconcerting to hear that on a new car! It was bigger than I thought, but easy enough to drive around and park. The interior has lots of space and the backseat was plenty. I see what others have been saying about the space the battery takes up, it just makes it a bigger jump into the cargo area. I wish I had pulled up a current gen 4runner next to it to compare as it did seem bigger, but that might be because of the higher roof line. Could easily car camp in it overnight, would just need something to level out the floor, maybe a well designed air mattress to fill those gaps to provide the needed support.

Power seemed like plenty and you have to remember that it is a hybrid with regenerative brakes, though they seemed a little aggressive to me at times, but could probably easily get used to it.

Overall, I liked it, but would definitely wait for the premium. He said they've had a few but not as many on their allocation as of late. I did ask about the 4Runner and they had no information on that.

Sadly, it appears the SE Toyota distributer is allowed free reign in regard to add-ons. Thankfully here in the West they seem to be minimal. The lack of concern by Toyota is disturbing, or just arrogance. Regarding the engine noise, have noticed several posts in this regard. One owner is receiving an engine (short block) replacement. Would be heartbroken if our future $70K LC had engine issues. Seriously considering cancelling our order until this resolved. Agreed, for sure, the Premium package!

Yes .. I like my premium… it has the “bells and whistle” I prefer in a vehicle… some like less… but I do hate when dealers add on alleged “paint protection” and “tint”… and charge $1300 extra

I have the same extra ~3 inch lift in the back of my Tahoe because Chevy used that space for foldable 3rd row seat hardware. So it seemed normal to me in the LC. At least it creates space for some enclosed storage.

Back