LOOKING AT LC 1958 THIS WEEKEND

trek805

πŸ“› Founding Member
Aug 29, 2024
Media
Camarillo, ca
Vehicles
2024 Land Cruiser 1958
Im a current Jeep Gladiator eco diesel owner, 2023 with 3rd gen ecodiesel looking to save money on 1958 edition. Purpose of switching is overland build and sleeping in back. My Jeep has been great, no issues, but with a shell on it, i have to sleep with tailgate down. Im 6 3". I like the LC and drove one. Love the comfort and power. My concern is, the cloth seats and lack of front sway bar disconnect. Im not willing to jam out 70k for next level up. I just cant seem to get over paying 58K for cloth seats. I have some questions about what you guys think the wear will be like on the cloth seats, and any regrets on buying a 1958 edition. Thank you in advance. I like the space in back for storage, as I carry a lot of gear for my side gig as Search and Rescue ops with Sheriff Department.

I bought a 58 in June have 5K on it now. I have no regrets about the cloth seats. They seem extremely durable. I absolutely love driving this rig. With that said, I am meeting with a Lexus Dealer tomorrow about purchasing a GX 550 OT+ and giving the 58 to my son. Now that I am an old man, I think I would appreciate a few more of the luxury amenities, although I really want the round headlights - I may hold out for an FE. Decisions....Decisions...

I love the round headlights too. If i do this, first thing im doing is 275/70/18 KO3's and maybe very small lift kit. I love the heritage blue color though, but thats next level up $$$$$$

Why not a Bronco? You probably fit at your height.

Winch is a big issue on the LC. I'm not sold that the hybrid is the way to go for more adventurous vehicles. But Toyota historical reliability is a big plus..

I have the LC Trim and I kinda wish I could have gotten it with cloth seats. It’s not as big of a deal as folks seem to make it.

(FYI, the LC trim starts at $64k, not $70k. Still a big jump from $58k for 1958 though)

I don't have any regrets with getting the 1958. I was hesitant about the cloth seats too, my first choice would have been softex. Personally, I would choose the cloth over leather. The 'cloth' appears to be a woven, thick/wide thread synthetic. So it doesn't look like it's going to wear in the way that other fuzzy fabric seats do. Liquid would still go through some though. The only thing I don't like about my 1958 is the trash stereo system, and will need to put out some money for an upgrade at some point. But I'm not sure I'd be totally happy with the LC trim stereo either. The one caveat I'd add is that I wanted a utility oriented LC, so cloth seats, flat white paint, etc fit what I was looking for. The cool thing about this LC is you can take it either direction, utility or luxury, depending on trim and aftermarket mods.

I love my 1958 and really like the cloth seats. I'm in Washington DC and they call it a swamp for several reasons including the weather, so it's nice to get in the car during the summer and not immediately stick to the seats. I also like the classic looks of the cloth seats.

Only issues I had with the 1958 were the lack of roof rails and the odd tire size both of which are easily fixed. I was initially looking for an LC in Heritage Blue, but my preference for the round headlights won out over my color preference, I was able to get a 1958 at MSRP early on so I bought it. I think you're going to like either trim.

Great feedback. Thank you. Ive only had leather in trucks and jeeps so im feeling kinda spoiled and its easy to clean up spills etc.. I have dumped coffee and other things accidentally so im curious if these seats have a repellent of some sort to help with this. IDK. Stereo situation sounds like it does suck though.

I like the Bronco, but im interested in Toyota quality and long term value. If this holds up like a 5th gen 4runner, then win win.

I love the cloth seats in my 1958. I came from a Lexus GX with fancy, buttery leather seats (and a lot of other luxury BS that is more appropriate for a sedan) and I don't miss it for a second. I like that I can wipe down the interior plastics with nothing more than a wet cloth and can shop vac the floor and seats in no time. If you're worried about spills you can always scotch-gard the fabrics.

There are pros / cons between cloth and softex but I certainly disagree with the view that softex is an upgrade. It’s basically vinyl. Again, that might be advantageous for a given buyer but the cloth shouldn’t be viewed comparatively as budget spec.

On that note, when I bought a β€˜12 Tundra w the Work Truck package, I actually saved money by opting for those vinyl seats!

I pulled trigger on a demo 1958 meteor shower last night with 526 miles on it. Heated seats work super fast and hot. I will try cloth seats and maybe get cat skins later on. So driving home, the tire pressure yellow light goes off. I read manual and tried everything to reset. Nada. Message says see dealer. WTF. Uggh

Speaking about Katzkins, I just saw one of the nicest installs I have ever seen. No wrinkles. It was on a new 1958.
IMG_5011.jpeg
IMG_5012.jpeg
IMG_5014.jpeg
IMG_5015.jpeg

Owned for less than 24 hrs and just dropped off at dealer for TPMS system malfunction. They said they need it all day. AArrrggg. Hopefully an easy fix. First impressions: Lots of power, fun to drive, Safety Sense stuff is annoying as hell

Im a current Jeep Gladiator eco diesel owner, 2023 with 3rd gen ecodiesel looking to save money on 1958 edition. Purpose of switching is overland build and sleeping in back. My Jeep has been great, no issues, but with a shell on it, i have to sleep with tailgate down. Im 6 3". I like the LC and drove one. Love the comfort and power. My concern is, the cloth seats and lack of front sway bar disconnect. Im not willing to jam out 70k for next level up. I just cant seem to get over paying 58K for cloth seats. I have some questions about what you guys think the wear will be like on the cloth seats, and any regrets on buying a 1958 edition. Thank you in advance. I like the space in back for storage, as I carry a lot of gear for my side gig as Search and Rescue ops with Sheriff Department.
Howdy! San Diego County Sheriff's SAR here, so far very pleased with my 1958. Great on space, I've carried four-person field teams out to assignments with loads of space in the rear seats for legs and in the back for field packs plus my recovery gear. I've never enjoyed going out with folks with second- and third-gen Tacomas for anything more than a five-minute run out from the command post.

No issues with articulation on the trails I've been on so far, between the range on the rear axle and the locker back there I've gotten a solid push through everything. I can recommend the 275/70R18 KO3s you've been looking at, they're heavy but they stroll through everything off road.

I'm also telling myself that cloth is considered a luxury in many other countries, like how the top-of-range Toyota Century in Japan lets you upgrade from leather to wool for breathability. Plus even with cloth you still get heaters on the seats and steering wheel. It's not a cheapo rig, it's optimized for simplicity and durability.

A welcome bonus over Jeeps is every outer panel except the hood is steel, so you can actually apply magnets. Folks in my unit with JKs only have the rear quarter panel to play with for identification signage.

Maybe we'll catch each other on a mutual aid one of these days! Stay safe in the heat this weekend.

1725736401926.jpeg

Thanks for SAR post, and great looking 1958!! I do a lot of mutual aid towards LA and Santa Barbara. Im building mine for overland and sleeping in back. Im leery on the heavy tires though due to a lot of communing and trying to maximize mileage. Looking at WP AT4's in a 265 70 18. Its a lighter tire and almost 33". We will see. Thank you for your service!!!

Back