Looking at buying a laptop....

My key question would be if a "Restored" machine comes with a generous and comprehensive warranty. Sorry El Chorizo, as a retired IBM'er, a Mac is not in my blood, especially in light of the fact some of my software only runs comfortably on a Windows machine.

My key question would be if a "Restored" machine comes with a generous and comprehensive warranty. Sorry El Chorizo, as a retired IBM'er, a Mac is not in my blood, especially in light of the fact some of my software only runs comfortably on a Windows machine.
I was a Microsoft certified engineer working for a fortune 500 company maintaining 10,000 servers worldwide. Retired two years ago, and I won’t have Microsoft in my house.

Go for the Mac el chorizo. A new one is $899, just $140 more.

• Admin
I have purchase a refurb Mac before, though it was direct from Apple. I'm assuming these are the same. It has the same Apple warranty as brand new machines and they are GREAT about warranties. I couldn't tell it was a refurb, so I'm not too scared on that.

I was a Microsoft certified engineer working for a fortune 500 company maintaining 10,000 servers worldwide. Retired two years ago, and I won’t have Microsoft in my house.

Go for the Mac el chorizo. A new one is $899, just $140 more.
This man gets it.

What is everyone else running? I'm an Apple guy... except for gaming PC. I'm thinking about picking up an M2 Macbook air. Seems like a deal here: Walmart.com: Restored Premium 2022 Apple MacBook Air Laptop with M2 chip: 13.6-inch Liquid Retina Display, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD Storage, Starlight (Refurbished)
I am happy running a dual boot Asus
ROG Strix G713RW_G713RW (2022)
Purchased: 2023/04/13 Costco Online $2,400 -$400 -$300 (trade in GL703GE-IS74)
Running Windoz 11 with KDE Neon (linux)

I like that the 1 TB SSD that runs cool. Just a buffalo singin' the dinosaur blues. Old VM/CMS mainframer. My children use Apple Products much to my chagrin.

Old VM/CMS mainframer. My children use Apple Products much to my chagrin.
An IBM mainframe CE myself, the last of which was a 3081 and 3084 with lots of DASD attached. My second career, IT director for a small school district, and we encountered a lot of hardware grief with the Mac workstations. And yes, some of our children use Apple products., to my dismay. Well, possibly a good thing, as if they get in a computer bind, it won't be dad helping. I go way back, to a mainframe language called JOVIAL.

An IBM mainframe CE myself, the last of which was a 3081 and 3084 with lots of DASD attached. My second career, IT director for a small school district, and we encountered a lot of hardware grief with the Mac workstations. And yes, some of our children use Apple products., to my dismay. Well, possibly a good thing, as if they get in a computer bind, it won't be dad helping. I go way back, to a mainframe language called JOVIAL.
They won't let me fool with their stuff as I will only cludge it up. Had not heard of JOVIAL. I started with FORmula TRANsformation on MVS at an IBM test site at VATECH running on a WATFIVE compiler.

I went Mac a few years ago and never looked back. I don't miss PC at all.
To paraphrase the famous words of Satchel Paige, "Never look back. You'll see who's gainin; on you."

I've worked for Microsoft as a software engineer (Azure IoT) for the past 5 years and I still use a mac at home. My 2022 macbook air M2 does everything I need, without the constant issues my windows work machines encounter. I also have a linux box, but that's not something most people need/want.

I've worked for Microsoft as a software engineer (Azure IoT) for the past 5 years and I still use a mac at home. My 2022 macbook air M2 does everything I need, without the constant issues my windows work machines encounter. I also have a linux box, but that's not something most people need/want.
Everyone needs linux. They just don't know it yet.

While I like apple products, I'm a IBMer. I own some expensive CAD/CAM software that will not run well on an Apple. My automotive Dianostic is also on the PC platform......... Just have too much invested in PC software to switch.

Sort of a similar situation here EOD Guy. Have some pricy embroidery software that Apple users struggle with.

Sort of a similar situation here EOD Guy. Have some pricy embroidery software that Apple users struggle with.
It took me six months to write a "Post Processor" to allow my CNC wood carving software to work on my CNC plasma..... getting the torch to turn off and raise the "Z" axis, then touch and raise to cutting height between cuts was a bear!

It took me six months to write a "Post Processor" to allow my CNC wood carving software to work on my CNC plasma..... getting the torch to turn off and raise the "Z" axis, then touch and raise to cutting height between cuts was a bear!
Would be interesting to tell ChatGPT what you wanted and see what it gives you to compare. It's pretty amazing what it can do. Needs someone who knows what they are looking at to confirm it is done correctly but its very useful for things like this.

Would be interesting to tell ChatGPT what you wanted and see what it gives you to compare. It's pretty amazing what it can do. Needs someone who knows what they are looking at to confirm it is done correctly but its very useful for things like this.
I use the chatGPT plugin for visual studio at work sometimes. It can be useful for writing a code block outline, but always has bugs I need to correct or misses entire concepts that are crucial like error handling. It's still a huge leap forward over what was available just a couple years ago, so I assume it's going to replace me entirely before long ;)

I’ll bite. Get a MacBook Pro and install VMWare Fusion on it with Windows if you want to use both operating systems.

Or there’s always the new CoPilot Surface with Recall once it’s broadly released, if you want to spice things up..

Back