Lift & leveling kit options

Draper

📛 Founding Member
May 7, 2024
Denver, CO
Vehicles
Porsche Macan Turbo, BMW M4 Comp
Last edited:
Ready Lift has a similar kit, and they list some tire size options for the Tacoma...which may be similar to what will fit on the LC.

Note: They say sizes are based on Nitto tires.

Screenshot 2024-05-13 at 12.51.57 PM.png

I would not put that cheap crap on a $70k+ vehicle.. if you want the cheaper option, at least wait for Wescott to release theirs. At least they test the shock to make sure its not over extended etc. (Still not comparable to actual upgraded suspension)

Both of these are strut spacer lifts which attach to the top of the strut and don’t affect the overall amount of travel or spring rates.

There are also other coil spacer collars which will affect the amount of travel, which affects the ride.

From what I can tell both of these companies seem fairly well liked, but I don’t have personal experience with either.

You could certainly replace the entire strut itself if you want more travel, but it seems this is more typical when you want to raise both front and rear.

Problem is with those cheap spacer lifts, is they override the suspension geometry on full extension/compression and damage multiple items.
For example:
-Bump stops are no longer effective, so if you hit a huge bump, your shock takes the hit. (Which it's not designed to do)
-At full extension you can have binding of upper control arms and ball joints.. metal on metal doesnt work.
-Your ride will be noticeably worse.. as you have thrown the suspension design out the window.

For other vehicles there are budget oriented lifts like Bilstein 5100.. which may cost you less than $500 more...and will certainly not cause the damage these universal parts will. Fair to assume all major suspension manufacturers will have some excellent mid range products that give the desired lift results while also not sacrificing durability. (Ignoring suspension rebuilds on the high end kits)

I can't imagine taking a 70k vehicle and slapping on a $200 part that will make it less reliable and give a worse ride...

Buy once, Cry once.

For those interested, I found this article which has an overview of the 3 different options. Pretty good write up actually, and I learned quite a bit.

Looking at Westcott, most of their Toyota kits are the pre-load collar type with ~2.5in of front lift. They have one listed for the 2024 Tacoma which may be similar to the LC, but I've reached out to them to see what they have coming for the Land Cruiser.

Jeff Westcott (Owner) posted pictures of a LC in his shop on Facebook, said they arent allowed to release info on the LC setups until thursday, some sort of agreement with others involved in the project.

Interesting! Do you have a link?

This is the response I got back from Westcott today.
We are currently developing a preload collar lift for the platform. We actually have three here right now for development purposes! So Stay tuned, we will release soon.

As a side note, a preload collar will absolutely be the preferred lift. A Strut spacer tends to introduce less than idea suspension angles and CV angles and will definitely prematurely wear all of those components.

Jeff Westcott (Owner) posted pictures of a LC in his shop on Facebook, said they arent allowed to release info on the LC setups until thursday, some sort of agreement with others involved in the project.
...and all involved are all at the Overland Expo this weekend. Thursday may be media only day to publish and talk about new products.

Westcott design’s kit is up for pre-order.

2.5” front and 0.75” rear.

I put an order in yesterday and they told me they will have them available within 60 days.

Planning to pair this with a set of 35s which matches the blue LC and the GX550 on their site. Likely going with K02s which are available in a C load rating.

ASAP-LC-2.jpeg

Last edited:
Is Wescott kit considered higher end compared to other level kits? Tundras forum WD is kind of a joke.

No. Preload collars are considered cheap ways to get lift.

From what I’ve read, collars are a reasonable option for leveling things out. I know a lot of the Bronco Raptor guys use them on the Fox suspension those come with.

I have seen a few posts about ride quality, but I would wager 9/10 times it’s because they swapped their 6-ply tires for 8 or 10-ply. If you watch a few of Westcott’s vids, he tends to point out they intentionally stayed with 6-ply to keep the ride quality.

All-in for this setup you’re looking at a touch over $1K for parts and labor (not including wheels/tires obv), so IMHO not a big risk here.

Im not knocking the collar for what it is, but it will absolutely sacrifice ride quality. It works by compressing the springs so they sit higher. If your springs are already compressed, there's less room for them to compress further.

It's a lift to fit tires. It's not a performance lift. That's fine though for what it costs.

Im not knocking the collar for what it is, but it will absolutely sacrifice ride quality. It works by compressing the springs so they sit higher. If your springs are already compressed, there's less room for them to compress further.
I would think so too, but there are people who say it doesn't change much. 🤷‍♂️

I haven't driven an LC yet but I generally find the ride of most non-performance type SUVs to be too squishy, so even if it did firm up some I probably wouldn't mind.

At the Toyota dealership now and they just installed a leveling kit on the new Tacoma. Parts guy says it should fit the LC250 as well. +1.5in in the front.

Attachments

• IMG_2512.jpeg
    IMG_2512.jpeg
    206.4 KB · Views: 94
Back