LC250 vs GX550 vs other?

shwazz714

📛 Founding Member
May 5, 2024
Media
san diego
Vehicles
2024 LC
Curious why folks decided to go with LC250 vs the Gx550 or other cars?

I have both an lc250 LC trim w/ premium package reserved and an gx550 luxury reserved - both at msrp. LC is on qc hold and gx is supposed to get there in 1 month.

When I compare the vehicles I like the looks of the LC better but with the luxury package you do get a few more features from the gx - front massage seats, pano roof, rear buckets seats & 3rd row option, heated 2nd row seats, kick sensor for tailgate. That comes at a hefty price of $15k extra & worse gas mileage - not sure that’s worth it IMO.

I’ve sat in the LC and thought it felt really nice inside, for folks who have sat in both did the Lexus feel a lot nicer or pretty similar.

What other cars did folks consider?

Also anguished over the decision between the GX and LC. A question, is the V6 in the GX the same as in the Tundra? I am sure you have read regarding the issues with the Tundra engine? However, allegedly all resolved...

Also anguished over the decision between the GX and LC. A question, is the V6 in the GX the same as in the Tundra? I am sure you have read regarding the issues with the Tundra engine? However, allegedly all resolved...
It is the same engine.

Looked at Ineos Grenadier, GX550 Overtrail and LC250, Ford Bronco. Grenadier styling is the best but too many quirks they need to work out before I would pull the trigger. I like the hybrid setup in the LC250 for heading into the back country with the battery and inverter built in. Longer range on the 250 than the GX. Exterior styling of the LC250 is more appealing to me with some of the nods to the older cruisers. I like the two tone Trail Dust and Heritage Blue colors better than the GX550 color options.

People keep trying to say this is just a Prado. It is a Prado in other markets but I like this better than the 300 LC and this is not based on the old Prado platform. The LC250 is closer to the 300 than the 150 Prado since they are both based on the new TNGAF platform. Toyota knows they moved the top end LC into a bloated luxury vehicle that moved away from its original intent which was an affordable off road vehicle. The LC250 is still expensive but more accessible and closer to its original roots than the LC300. The GX550 Overtrail is nice but if you have sat in both, the top trim LC 250's are very similar layout and feel inside. I prefer the manual control buttons on the LC dash over the touchscreen controls in the GX. I would have liked a few more options on the interior leather colors for the First Edition rather than dark gray/black but the leather is good quality. At some point I will probably look into having an upholstery shop take the seats and add some nice custom details into the existing seats/leather. I think having some custom matching details on the interior panels would be nice as well. Interested to see what the aftermarket comes up with for customization options.

I can see the appeal of the GX550's power train for some over the LC250 but I like to be able to fix and work on my vehicles and the 4 cylinder hybrid looks to be much easier to service. Spark plugs will be easy to change, the turbo is accessible. The hybrid system tends to make transmission issues almost non existent. There is a lot to like about the LC250.

For me, the only GX trim I would have considered is the overtrail. Taking that a starting point: I think the Land Cruiser looks better, it gets better mpg, prefer the Toyota badging and front end immensely, think the Toyota will be easier to tinker with, stock skid plate on the FE looks better than the one for the GX, and I prefer the (slightly) fewer electronics.

Probably depends on your use case, I don’t baby my daily driver and it needs to be suited to driving on caliche, pavement as well as on north central Texas loose rock roads, plus through some mesquite. But I also like to take my wife out to dinner from time to time. Land Cruiser was a better match for me.

All that said, the biggest thing was probably aesthetics.

These are all good points…. Just rolled up to gym and saw a gx parked and man it looks really good in person. The engine issues def give me pause. I really like the idea of a hybrid too.

Attachments

• IMG_5586.jpeg
    IMG_5586.jpeg
    494.1 KB · Views: 143
These are all good points…. Just rolled up to gym and saw a gx parked and man it looks really good in person. The engine issues def give me pause. I really like the idea of a hybrid too.
I just don’t like the grill and overhang at all. Also feel like the side panels have too many goofy angles. I think it’s going to age worse than the new LC, which is still pretty utilitarian (in a good way) externally.

For me, the only GX trim I would have considered is the overtrail. Taking that a starting point: I think the Land Cruiser looks better, it gets better mpg, prefer the Toyota badging and front end immensely, think the Toyota will be easier to tinker with, stock skid plate on the FE looks better than the one for the GX, and I prefer the (slightly) fewer electronics.

Probably depends on your use case, I don’t baby my daily driver and it needs to be suited to driving on caliche, pavement as well as on north central Texas loose rock roads, plus through some mesquite. But I also like to take my wife out to dinner from time to time. Land Cruiser was a better match for me.

All that said, the biggest thing was probably aesthetics.
Yeah I’m not an off-roader but live an active outdoor lifestyle- surfing, hiking, mountain biking, etc. have a dog and 1 young kid (15 months) with another coming in a year or so.

I’m also a fairly successful business man and like luxury items too.

I do feel the LC fits the lifestyle the best but the gx is damn nice too.

IMG_3174.jpeg

Such a better side and front profile to me.

Yeah I’m not an off-roader but live an active outdoor lifestyle- surfing, hiking, mountain biking, etc. have a dog and 1 young kid (15 months) with another coming in a year or so.

I’m also a fairly successful business man and like luxury items too.

I do feel the LC fits the lifestyle the best but the gx is damn nice too.
I’m not an off-roader per se, but I do hunt and fish a fair amount, both in Texas and in Louisiana, in addition having 3 boys, 2 dogs and a professional career. It does make for a different use case, can’t imagine strapping a buck on top of a Lexus….

I do like the overtrail and did consider it, especially when I was thinking I would have to get a 1958 to get the round headlights I preferred. But I found an FE in the color I wanted and that made the math easy. Cost is about the same really, GX’s are maybe even harder to come by.

Was at a friend’s place yesterday and his wife had a new LX, and while I know that’s as close as we can get to a 300, man the grill and overhang are awful. Lexus styling drives me crazy.

While I understand why Toyota limits options to trim levels, I wish they would allow, for a fee of course, something like Chevy did back in the day "COPO". There are a few things I'd opt out on.... ie.. the sunroof, the roof rack and can't see where the cool box will be used much after the novelty wears off, for anything other than a storage box.

I went through same debate. Have a longstanding deposit on an Overtrail in Atomic Silver but bought a First Edition yesterday in Meteor Shower. Fun truck and I do like the front end better than the GX550.
First world problems! Good luck!

For me it's the same reason I never bought the 100/200 series. After the FJ80, they didn't fit my taste. I thought they were pretty ugly honestly. Enter the LC250. Right back on track to my style. More like a modern FJ80/FJ60. I love it. The lexus has an ugly grill and I'm a Toyota guy. Never cared for lexus.

My points in favor of the LC Premium/FE over GX Overtrail: fuel economy, inverter, digital mirror and the rear A/C controls for the passengers. I also prefer the dash layout of the LC.

I had to work hard to find my FE and had the GX arrived first, I would have prob convinced myself to pull the trigger.

I've been on the list for a Heritage Blue Land Cruiser grade with Premium Package since last summer. I didn't really care if it had a sunroof or not. Really did NOT want cool box, and was not happy about being forced into that option, and didn't care whether I had leather or SofTex. However, once I found out there was NO lumbar control on the front passenger seat, I realized there was no way the LC would work for us on long road trips. So, we have decided to go with the GX 550 Overtrail +, and have put a deposit down on that.

It's going to cost us close to $10k more, and I actually prefer the look of the LC over the GX. Also, I prefer the LC dash layout to the GX, but road trip comfort is the most important factor for us now. I'm still a bit peeved that we had to switch over, but, if the wait for our GX goes into 2025, and Toyota adds, at a minimum, passenger lumbar control to the LC, we might be able to switch back to the LC. However, I've been wanting massaging seats for years, since I'm always changing body positioning on the longer road trips, so that could become the 2nd most important factor that keeps us on the GX.

I've been on the list for a Heritage Blue Land Cruiser grade with Premium Package since last summer. I didn't really care if it had a sunroof or not. Really did NOT want cool box, and was not happy about being forced into that option, and didn't care whether I had leather or SofTex. However, once I found out there was NO lumbar control on the front passenger seat, I realized there was no way the LC would work for us on long road trips. So, we have decided to go with the GX 550 Overtrail +, and have put a deposit down on that.

It's going to cost us close to $10k more, and I actually prefer the look of the LC over the GX. Also, I prefer the LC dash layout to the GX, but road trip comfort is the most important factor for us now. I'm still a bit peeved that we had to switch over, but, if the wait for our GX goes into 2025, and Toyota adds, at a minimum, passenger lumbar control to the LC, we might be able to switch back to the LC. However, I've been wanting massaging seats for years, since I'm always changing body positioning on the longer road trips, so that could become the 2nd most important factor that keeps us on the GX.
The lack of some of this features is a bit disappointing. I really want massage seats and would love if the passenger seat had lumbar support.

But I also want the durability of the Land Cruiser and less flashy interior as I have a 15 month old, a dog and hoping to have another kid soon. The lux features of the Lexus are super attractive, but not sure it matches lifestyle right now.

For folks that know more than me about cars - could you add in massage seats after the fact? Guessing it’d be pretty expensive but is it $10k more expensive?

The recall of the twin turbo V6 engines in the tundra and some lexuses from 2022-23 that was announced today!

I’m really wanting back into a ‘truck’ & Toyota makes the only BOF midsize SUV’s. At least fixed roof ones. Ford won’t sell me an Everest here. Full size are perhaps just a little large for going around the city with but I do find them comfortable.

So considering LC, GX, &4R. I go back & forth on price. The LC is expensive enough, but the extra step up to the GX can be a lot more. But if I’m going to pay for the car & drive it into the ground, the cost isn’t as much amortized as you think.

I’m also considering an actual truck again, even if I don’t use it for hauling that much anymore. Ranger of course as a Ford guy. But I really like the look of the new Taco, which of course is shared with the 4R. I admit too, though I’m against going full electric, I do like Toyota’s approach with hybrids.

Just waiting until all are readily available in showrooms to go check out in person.

People keep trying to say this is just a Prado. It is a Prado in other markets but I like this better than the 300 LC and this is not based on the old Prado platform. The LC250 is closer to the 300 than the 150 Prado since they are both based on the new TNGAF platform.
Nobody said this is "just a Prado". Prado was always an amazing car. Almost the same size with the big brother (or sister I am not sure....) almost the same reliability, less power but way more efficient, affordable and cheaper to run. LC250 is a continuation of the LC150 and for most markets is coming with the same 2.8L engine. LC300 is crazy expensive. I have a friend who bought one for 135 kEuro. Toyota does not sell it officially in the European Union. In US you can get the LX at lower cost ! :sick:

Have a look. I do not know another SUV with such a 3rd row. Just brilliant. LC120 and GX470. And Toyota is not using it anymore :unsure:

Back