LC250 oil smells like gas during oil change

They actually advise against warming the engine.

View attachment 8176
That is not against, they simply said "unnecessary". One is neutral statement, against is a negative statement.

Most of the time vehicle manual is taking a position for normal usage condition within its design scope. It is not wrong. But from what I read in various places if we are talking about minimizing the wear and maximizing the vehicle life cycle, there are things that can be done differently to help. I believe that is what we are talking about here? Basically proactive maintenance I'll say.

Toyota never give you an expectation that the car can last 200K or 300K miles, it's service manual only go as far as 120K I believe. But if you want to drive a legend you have to treat it as a legend

That is not against, they simply said "unnecessary". One is neutral statement, against is a negative statement.

Most of the time vehicle manual is taking a position for normal usage condition within its design scope. It is not wrong. But from what I read in various places if we are talking about minimizing the wear and maximizing the vehicle life cycle, there are things that can be done differently to help. I believe that is what we are talking about here? Basically proactive maintenance I'll say.

Toyota never give you an expectation that the car can last 200K or 300K miles, it's service manual only go as far as 120K I believe. But if you want to drive a legend you have to treat it as a legend
On a modern engine, idling to heat it up causes more wear than driving it off after 10-15 seconds because engine idles at a low operating temperature for an extended period of time, rather than heating up much quickly during the drive.

Time it takes to back out of your driveway is more than enough to warm the engine to a driveable state.

On a modern engine, idling to heat it up causes more wear than driving it off after 10-15 seconds because engine idles at a low operating temperature for an extended period of time, rather than heating up much quickly during the drive.

Time it takes to back out of your driveway is more than enough to warm the engine to a driveable state.
The drive train on LC is more complicated than that. It has a hybrid battery there. The engine shuts down from time to time so I don't know the control logic on LC given I don't have the car yet.

One theory I read is that the reason you want to warm up the engine is actually not for the engine itself but for transmission fluid to warm up. But again I never even had a Turbo engine vehicle before so I am still learning everything

Last edited:
The drive train on LC is more complicated than that. It has a hybrid battery there. The engine shuts down from time to time so I don't know the control logic on LC given I don't have the car yet.

One theory I read is that the reason you want to warm up the engine is actually not for the engine itself but for transmission fluid to warm up. But again I never even had a Turbo engine vehicle before so I am still learning everything
Transmission heats up from friction and through the heat generated by the engine transmitting through the torque converter. Some heat may also be transferred by the trans cooler capturing heat from the radiator. It will take forever to heat the transmission by idling the engine since it takes so long to heat the engine by idling to start with.

You are free to do what you want with your car. But heating up the engine will cause more harm than good.

Transmission heats up from friction and through the heat generated by the engine transmitting through the torque converter. Some heat may also be transferred by the trans cooler capturing heat from the radiator. It will take forever to heat the transmission by idling the engine since it takes so long to heat the engine by idling to start with.

You are free to do what you want with your car. But heating up the engine will cause more harm than good.

You don't have to agree. I don't have a position on this neither. But I found he is a reputable source of information when it comes to Toyota

You don't have to agree. I don't have a position on this neither. But I found he is a reputable source of information when it comes to Toyota

He is talking about extreme cold here though. 0-20W oil is rated up until -40F, that is a once or twice a century even event even in here in Wisconsin. Yet he says you can skip warming the oil and drive gently, which is common sense.

He is talking about extreme cold here though. 0-20W oil is rated up until -40F, that is a once or twice a century even event even in here in Wisconsin. Yet he says you can skip warming the oil and drive gently, which is common sense.
I don’t see keep engine idling for a min more is hurting at all. We allow the engine to run hot for an hour or two everyday, how much of that additional 1 or 2 mins at mildly running condition will wear it off early? The oil get thicken in low temperature is common sense, it’s not like it’s a switch on -40F, in winter many part of US can get to -10 or -20 easy.

and there is the transmission that you also have to allow the fluid to warm up for the machine to run smmothly

Immediately after I start Miss Daisy in the morning, if I just sit for 30+ seconds, the engine shuts off, and the AC runs off of the hybrid battery (I guess) until I put it in gear, and back out of the carport. So in that time, the engine is not ‘warming up’.

Immediately after I start Miss Daisy in the morning, if I just sit for 30+ seconds, the engine shuts off, and the AC runs off of the hybrid battery (I guess) until I put it in gear, and back out of the carport. So in that time, the engine is not ‘warming up’.
There are certain parameters that must be met before engine turns off. The engine is probably warm enough to shut down. The AC compressor is most likely 12V. The hybrid system keeps the 12v battery charged.

There are certain parameters that must be met before engine turns off. The engine is probably warm enough to shut down. The AC compressor is most likely 12V. The hybrid system keeps the 12v battery charged.
Yep I bet in the winter the engine will run for more than a minute from cold start anyway to warm it up. Perhaps once the engine is shut down it is a good indication that engine is ready to run for real work?

This is completely different from the Prius I drove. Usually it start in EV mode and engine only slowly turns on when I pick up enough speed. I guess for gas engine drive it into a steep boost from cold is not really an issue?

Last edited:
My point being, it is pretty difficult to let the engine ‘warm up’ when the ECM shuts it off thirty seconds later.

My point being, it is pretty difficult to let the engine ‘warm up’ when the ECM shuts it off thirty seconds later.
What does the temp gauge show. Mine has never shutdown until it’s warmed up. These engines has a recirculating valve in place of a thermostat to allow faster warm up.

Yep I bet in the winter the engine will run for more than a minute from cold start anyway to warm it up. Perhaps once the engine is shut down it is a good indication that engine is ready to run for real work?

This is completely different from the Prius I drove. Usually it start in EV mode and engine only slowly turns on when I pick up enough speed. I guess for gas engine drive it into a steep boost from cold is not really an issue?
My regular hybrid starts gas only in WI, and hybrid system doesn't engage until engine is fully heated. In extremely cold weather (lower than -15F) engine almost never turns off.

Back