Land Cruisers are easily stolen.

Any RF signal can be captured and reproduced. You don't even need a physical fob, just the chip, which can be added to the vehicle via OBDii.

My understanding is......... only so many keys can be added to any vehicle, let's say 7 and if all seven slots are full, the system can be erased wiping out all 7 slots and a master key is the only way to add keys back into the system (a master key is one of the keys originally programed when the vehicle was made). If a non-master key is attempted it "bricks" the system and the security module must be replaced. That's why you must have all keys fobs present when adding a credit card key in order for existing keys to continue to function after the CC key is added.

That being said, my theory is: if funds were not an issue one could purchase the max amount of keys and have them programmed to the vehicle, thus filling up any available slots and severely hamper a surreptitious key addition. True professional thieves have another way to steal your vehicle (I won't discuss this method on this forum) and there's not a lot you can do about it.
Still, inquiring minds do inquire.. but lets not tell the world..

Bullock was my car theft security when I lived in Czech Republic for 7 years after getting a car stolrn my first year. Many in Prague use this. imo it’s better than steering wheel devices as a thief can easily cut a steering wheel, pull off the device and drive off. They won’t be able to hack thru the solid metal clamp that wraps around the brake and its metal shoe.
Arrived today from Amazon for my LC. Not cheap at $122, but worth it.

Attachments

• IMG_6567.png
    IMG_6567.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_6553.jpeg
    IMG_6553.jpeg
    618.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_6548.jpeg
    IMG_6548.jpeg
    169.3 KB · Views: 38
One other note.. if you do have access (Toyo employee) you can make another key fob with just the VIN. Hoping dealerships have some process in place to prevent unauthorized use?

Also, a smaller scam that occurs is the 'duplicate title' scam. If they can collect enough info/docs, go to the DMV and get a 'duplicate title' for your car. Take said title to the dealership and have a key cut using the duplicate title as proof of ownership. My buddy almost had their Lexus GX stolen this way. The only way they stopped it was his wife happened to be home and noticed a locksmith and a stranger in the driveway. The scammer tried to get a key cut at the dealership, and they said 'no' (not sure why they said no?). Then tried to get a mobile locksmith out to my buddies house to get the key made, but this was stopped by his wife intervening. The scammer still insisted when the cops showed up the they were the rightful owners (showing them the title) and that my buddies wife had stolen it from them and changed the locks and this is why they had to come out with a mobile locksmith to 're-aquire' their vehicle. The officers sniffed out the truth... and, eventually, that crew did wind up getting arrested and prosecuted, although not for this particular event. Crazy times we live in!

They finally busted a ring of thieves that were stealing F150s out of the DIA parking lot for several years. My buddy has one and got approached and questioned by an officer as he was parking. Once the LEO surmised he was in fact the owner, he told them not to park his truck at the airport anymore or take a different vehicle/uber. He also told him the process by which they were stealing them. I don't remember the specifics, but if you installed an OBD lock... or moved the actual OBD to a hidden in the dash location and installed a dummy port, this would have gone a long way in preventing the theft. I think they had a means to get the door open electronically, but needed to fabricate a cloned key to the vehicle using the OBD port. Once they've done that.. turn off all tracking and un-link the apps/service and drive off.
They got mine at DIA. They pop the door lock and get inside to obtain whatever they need to make a new fob so they actually have to leave and come back. The DIA police spend all day driving around looking for popped door locks on F150’s and fortunately they saw mine and towed it to the impound lot before the thieves came back with the new fob. DIA either need to make one lot for trucks only so it’s easier to patrol or do a much better job of making the issue known to the public.

Back