Land Cruisers are easily stolen.

A simple thing that my Tesla had I always used was a PIN code to drive mainly had this to prevent car jacking even if I hand over my keys and run away. Doors unlock the same but to actually drive you need the PIN code. I don't know why car companies have not implement this. I Use my phone only for my Land Cruiser.

The rear driver window was blown out. Does anyone have a part number for that? I’m gonna try and get it ordered and installed ASAP.

Last edited:
None of these AirTag suggestions will help. Vehicle theft in Toronto/Ontario is due to organized crime (I lived there for ten years). They target vehicles that can be stripped for parts and most end up overseas. Motorcycle theft was extremely bad there too.

Faraday pouches, ODB2 port locks, encrypted CAN-BUSes, steering wheel locks, etc help eliminate the dumbest criminals.

Canada's theft rate is high but still better than the US'

Motor vehicle theft - Wikipedia (and more data from How Canada became a car theft capital of the world)
View attachment 14561
I agree an air tag won't prevent a vehicle from being stolen. It will however assist in tracking the tag as long as the tag in the vicinity of an I-phone. If it was taken to a chop shop, the tags location can be tracked, same with taken to a container......"last seen in the vicinity of" will come up on the I-phone tracker.

In a WILD turn of events they have located my vehicle. I just got home to Buffalo, NY and received a call that they found my car in Toronto. So, I am going back to Canada tomorrow.
Hopefully you will find the vehicle in the same condition that you left it, sans the broken window.

I agree an air tag won't prevent a vehicle from being stolen. It will however assist in tracking the tag as long as the tag in the vicinity of an I-phone. If it was taken to a chop shop, the tags location can be tracked, same with taken to a container......"last seen in the vicinity of" will come up on the I-phone tracker.
Pro tip: Disable the AirTag speaker before hiding it. Takes 30 seconds.

So it wasn't towed. I wonder how they started it up. Or was it towed and they broke the glass to get inside.

It wasn’t towed as far as I know. They broke the glass in the hotel lot and drove it away. I’m still trying to get access to the video.

Happy for you that they found your truck and the scumbags didn't make off with it.
Now the big question is how did they steal it. So much for the theories that they had scanned your fob or towed it. Appears to be old fashioned break glass and hot wire, but I am sure with modern technologies there must be another way.
So without the fob they smashed a window....how did they drive it? No alarm? My alarm went off once and it was deafening. Or did people just ignore the screaming alarm and let the thieves do their work as we see so often today? And is it easy to jump start this vehicle somehow?

In a WILD turn of events they have located my vehicle. I just got home to Buffalo, NY and received a call that they found my car in Toronto. So, I am going back to Canada tomorrow.
That is GREAT news! I'm smiling ear to ear.

Let's hope the broken window is the only blip.

I hope they got the guy who did this . . . or got his fingerprints and know who he is. He deserves to be punished.

I just texted the officer that was investigating asking if he saw the video and how they took it. From what I gather the alarm was ignored because the hotel employees were in on it.

That is GREAT news! I'm smiling ear to ear.

Let's hope the broken window is the only blip.

I hope they got the guy who did this . . . or got his fingerprints and know who he is. He deserves to be punished.
They didn't catch them and I doubt they dusted the car. We will see when I pick it up.

A theft of a new Land Cruiser is terrible, as everyone has said.

After reading in this thread that it is preferable to lock the LC using the inside button on the door to avoid the key fob signal transmitting a lock/unlock code, I am wondering whether hitting the lock button on the outside door handle is also recommended.

Great news, except for how the car was started.

Well, so much for "nothing can be done" . The car likely would not have been targeted with a disclok on the stearing wheel. A simple airtag would have likely worked to locate the vehicle.

Without further info, I'm going with the assumption that the FOB was cloned. So back to using a faraday pouch while traveling.

I put an airtag in the forward camera assembly today.

The rear spoiler is plastic, and might be an excellent place for an airtag or a GPS tracker

A theft of a new Land Cruiser is terrible, as everyone has said.

After reading in this thread that it is preferable to lock the LC using the inside button on the door to avoid the key fob signal transmitting a lock/unlock code, I am wondering whether hitting the lock button on the outside door handle is also recommended.
The lock signal isn't the problem. Its the signal that the keyfob emits to allow you to keep your key in your pocket.

You may not be aware that you don't have to unlock your door with the key fob. Just lift the door handle.

Jeez - the employees were in on it! Insane. Could this have been all about a joyride in a new Land Cruiser with plans to dump it after driving it for a short time?
Would using the physical key to unlock/lock the doors be more secure to prevent the cloning of the signal?

When we insured ours recently, it was relatively expensive versus our other vehicles and the insurer gave the excuse that it was because it was higher theft risk. I assumed that was just a Toronto excuse. Sorry for your loss. Hope it was well insured
My new LC actually costs less than my 2021 RDX every six months. It boggles the mind.

If they cloned the key they wouldn’t have had to smash the window to gain access. This was likely an exploit in the OBD port.

Either way I’ll have my baby back tomorrow and will update you all on her condition.

Stay safe out there!

Back