Land Cruiser Trim headlight swap to First Edition Lights

The wiring harness and connectors are the same. The dealers saying its not plug and play have clearly not looked at the repair manuals in TIS. There are two separate sections, but the removal and installation steps are literally identical because the wiring harnesses and mounting points are identical. The only reason they have separate listings in the repair manual is because the disassembly instructions to take the headlights apart are very different. The most involved part they may have to do is recalibrating the front sensors and cameras if they jostled the bumper around too much.

Some of yall need to find dealers who don't have 2 brain cells competing for 3rd place.

1721938661803.png

1721938720320.png

1721938740253.png

Last edited:
The wiring harness and connectors are the same. The dealers saying its not plug and play have clearly not looked at the repair manuals in TIS. There are two separate sections, but the removal and installation steps are literally identical because the wiring harnesses and mounting points are identical. The only reason they have separate listings in the repair manual is because the disassembly instructions to take the headlights apart are very different. The most involved part they may have to do is recalibrating the front sensors and cameras if they jostled the bumper around too much.

Some of yall need to find dealers who don't have 2 brain cells competing for 3rd place.

View attachment 5953

View attachment 5954
View attachment 5955
Wonder if we can get those instructions printed for the DIY ppl

Attachments

• headlight initialization.pdf
    105.1 KB · Views: 85
  • light install.pdf
    142.7 KB · Views: 57
  • light removal.pdf
    281.2 KB · Views: 59
  • bumper removal.pdf
    486.8 KB · Views: 116
I’m not deterred I’m looking forward to getting diagrams and I’m going for it .
I haven't finished down loading all the connectors form TIS yet, but I think the wiring diagrams listed one plug. I haven't researched this yet, just scanning as I was dwlding the pages.

I haven't finished down loading all the connectors form TIS yet, but I think the wiring diagrams listed one plug. I haven't researched this yet, just scanning as I was dwlding the pages.
That’s great. I’ve worked out a swap and that news is good news. 🤓

Yep there’s only one plug. The vehicle side has all of the pinning enabled, and the headlight side will only have the pins they need. The initialization process in one of the PDFs I posted tells the vehicle which version of the lights are installed

I have the LC trim and am not a big fan of the rectangular lights. I spoke to the parts department at my local dealer and they ordered me the round headlights. The service department is going to swap them out for me next week. They said that it shouldn't take more than an hour or two. I'll ask lots of questions once they're done and let you guys know. In the meantime, does anyone know how to remove the standard roof rack that comes with that trim? I'm hoping that it's easy so I can do it myself otherwise I'll just let the dealership handle that too.

I have the LC trim and am not a big fan of the rectangular lights. I spoke to the parts department at my local dealer and they ordered me the round headlights. The service department is going to swap them out for me next week. They said that it shouldn't take more than an hour or two. I'll ask lots of questions once they're done and let you guys know. In the meantime, does anyone know how to remove the standard roof rack that comes with that trim? I'm hoping that it's easy so I can do it myself otherwise I'll just let the dealership handle that too.
This might help....

Attachments

• ROOF RACK.pdf
    8.2 MB · Views: 55
How much did they quote you for the round headlights?

Labor included?
Unfortunately not. That's just for the parts. They said that it should only be about an hour or two worth of labor though. Someone posted the instructions on another thread though which may help you do it yourself if you'd like. I can find the thread or instructions if you'd like.

Unfortunately not. That's just for the parts. They said that it should only be about an hour or two worth of labor though. Someone posted the instructions on another thread though which may help you do it yourself if you'd like. I can find the thread or instructions if you'd like.
No I’ve seen the instructions and not something I wanted to tackle. I likely will buy the parts and have Toyota Service swap them out for me. Thank you though!

This might have been discussed somewhere, but do the 1958 / FE headlights have a little dip slightly to the left of the driver. It fills in with the fog lights and is not visible with high beams. Just something I noticed coming from a vehicle with wicked aftermarket lighting 😂

This might have been discussed somewhere, but do the 1958 / FE headlights have a little dip slightly to the left of the driver. It fills in with the fog lights and is not visible with high beams. Just something I noticed coming from a vehicle with wicked aftermarket lighting 😂
Yes. In another post someone mentioned that it looks to be in the area of oncoming traffic so as to not be blinding to them.

Yes. In another post someone mentioned that it looks to be in the area of oncoming traffic so as to not be blinding to them.
Thanks I figured. Would me cool to have matrix lighting and not a permeant gap. Interested to see what the aftermarket comes out with considering these designs aren't that bad in general.

Back