Land Cruiser Road tests - what questions u want answers for?

If you can 3d print a nice one I'm sure you would have a lot of buyers. Shot of TRD Jon and Kirk Kreifels video.

View attachment 1420

Awesome, the minute I get my hands on one it will be a priority. Along with blacking out the front lower and rear valance they left silver doh!

If you can 3d print a nice one I'm sure you would have a lot of buyers. Shot of TRD Jon and Kirk Kreifels video.

View attachment 1420

Near the end of the TRD Jon and Kirk's video, they mention that the GX will be offering (likely) the same hybrid powertrain soon as the LC (next year??). I would think that would certainly squeeze sales of LC in North America, with 4Runner as the volume seller and GX as the premium seller.

Also those tires on the Trail Dust dont appear to be the Michelin LTX trail. look a bit more off-roadish.

Near the end of the TRD Jon and Kirk's video, they mention that the GX will be offering (likely) the same hybrid powertrain soon as the LC (next year??). I would think that would certainly squeeze sales of LC in North America, with 4Runner as the volume seller and GX as the premium seller.

Also those tires on the Trail Dust dont appear to be the Michelin LTX trail. look a bit more off-roadish.

I saw that one Trail Dust with the Toyo Open Country tires. Looked good. Seems like all the regular LC 18" wheels and 1st Ed were the Michelin LTX Trail. The 1958 and 20" wheels were Bridgestone or Yokohama.

Did you get any answer from all the new reviews and articles? I did not ! :rolleyes:
Quite annoying and disappointing that certain dimensional specs are still unknown (cargo area) or simply still quoting questionable numbers (rear/front legroom, etc). Pretty much all were a rehash of already known common Toyota talking points and subjective opinions. 🥱🥱

Someone please take that hideous trailer hitch cover off and get a picture of what they are hiding. First order for me will be to 3d print a better looking alternative for sure.
I remember reading on an earlier review there was a clearance issue on the LC inserting and removing the hitch pin from the receiver - I haven't seen any comments since this - Most interested in a review that looks at trailering with a reasonably heavy travel trailer - i.e. 4500-5000 pounds.

Yes - that cover is not a thing of beauty

Did you hear about these features ?
  • a shutter in the upper grille which closes at high speeds to inhibit the flow of air into the engine compartment, reducing air resistance and lift force
  • rear camera washer

When ever you have them available I would order 1
My FE has been on a train for a week hopefully just shy of two weeks out now. Making something that looks better will be a priority along with Tint. Might just use my Cricut and make a Pampers stencil for the stock one =)

Around the 4:00 mark they start doing some pretty technical off roading. Impressive that the stock Land Cruiser bested the modified 4 Runner. You can click on closed captions and also change them to auto translate to whichever language you want under the settings option if watching on native Youtube. Ultimately he doesn't like that its too good from a software stand point and takes away the need for a good driver which I understand. Technology taking the place of human interaction has its benefits but we lose something in return. As he says, for 99% of people, they will opt for better technology.

Last edited:
With the upcoming embargo ending and reveal of road tests/review for LC what top questions do you want answered? My top would be:

1. what is the 0-60 time?
2. how does it drive and handle on-road (quiet/refined/driver position...??)
3. dimensions/real specs of cargo area with seats up/seats tumbled, backseat legroom...etc
4. what features are available for towing & trailer hookup
Full time 4WD… so example. I pull off a state road and onto a fire road in the Sierra foothills… I’m already in 4WD, correct. I don’t need to change anything but MODE if I want. If I see an area I want to explore that is “off road” I would stop, put into ‘N’, and change to 4 LO?

Just not really seeing a lot of information out there (like a good YouTube) for 4 wheeler newbies with 24 Land Cruiser.

Full time 4WD… so example. I pull off a state road and onto a fire road in the Sierra foothills… I’m already in 4WD, correct. I don’t need to change anything but MODE if I want. If I see an area I want to explore that is “off road” I would stop, put into ‘N’, and change to 4 LO?

Just not really seeing a lot of information out there (like a good YouTube) for 4 wheeler newbies with 24 Land Cruiser.
When in Full-Time 4WD mode (this is always for this vehicle), locking the Center Differential would be the first course of action when encountering more difficult terrain. This changes the power distribution from 60:40 Rear:Front to 50:50 (thus increasing front traction), and can be used at freeway speeds.

If you are then having wheel spin problems you could initiate the MTS system, and set it either to Auto or to the type of surface you are navigating (sand, rock, etc.). This uses the ABS brake system to inhibit wheel spin when one wheel is in the air, which robs the tire with traction of drive force, as all power is being sent to the spinning wheel (this electronic system 'fakes' locking a differential, both front and rear; it generally works quite well for moderate terrain). This system works in both 4High and 4Low.

Typically 4Low is used when slowly crawling around over very rough terrain, but I mostly get use out of it when descending steep grades to control speed without having to ride the brakes (using your transmission in Manual mode should become a habit offroad, particularly when descending).

Lastly, locking the rear differential will give you maximum traction from the rear, and is critical to have/use on more extreme terrain; 5mph maximum. You don't want to drive with the rear locked on road surfaces.

This is a generalized course of action(s) offroad, with this vehicle.

When in Full-Time 4WD mode (this is always for this vehicle), locking the Center Differential would be the first course of action when encountering more difficult terrain. This changes the power distribution from 60:40 Rear:Front to 50:50 (thus increasing front traction), and can be used at freeway speeds.

If you are then having wheel spin problems you could initiate the MTS system, and set it either to Auto or to the type of surface you are navigating (sand, rock, etc.). This uses the ABS brake system to inhibit wheel spin when one wheel is in the air, which robs the tire with traction of drive force, as all power is being sent to the spinning wheel (this electronic system 'fakes' locking a differential, both front and rear; it generally works quite well for moderate terrain). This system works in both 4High and 4Low.

Typically 4Low is used when slowly crawling around over very rough terrain, but I mostly get use out of it when descending steep grades to control speed without having to ride the brakes (using your transmission in Manual mode should become a habit offroad, particularly when descending).

Lastly, locking the rear differential will give you maximum traction from the rear, and is critical to have/use on more extreme terrain; 5mph maximum. You don't want to drive with the rear locked on road surfaces.

This is a generalized course of action(s) offroad, with this vehicle.
Thanks. This helps a lot

Here is a deep dive. Enjoy:

Back