Land Cruiser - On-road driving experience

SG1234

📛 Founding Member
Jun 15, 2024
California
Vehicles
Land Cruiser
I plan to use the Land Cruiser (1958 trim) primarily as an on-road vehicle, and not for off-road driving.

Between Lexus and the 4Runner, this appeared as a great option and chose to get one.

I understand that the off-roader is designed to handle rough terrains, but at what cost to the on-road driving experience? I do not know the subtle differences.

I have had Acura MDX for a long time, wondering, how the LC experience will be compared to an MDX.

Do most people who buy this only use it mainly for off-road driving?

I test drove one and thought it drove pretty good for being a body on frame vehicle. Not as planted as the MDX but the MDX has great steering due to the rear steering of the SH-AWD. The bigger issue is if you never plan to off-road, you're taking a considerable fuel economy hit going with a live axle BOF SUV to do the same thing as your MDX. You also lose out a lot of passenger and cargo space. But it should have better early acceleration than your naturally aspirated V6 MDX so would feel more spirited in city driving.

I am curious how well it would do on a washboard? That is the most annoying experience I had and I am hoping LC wouldn't be too bumpy on that.

I test drove one and thought it drove pretty good for being a body on frame vehicle. Not as planted as the MDX but the MDX has great steering due to the rear steering of the SH-AWD. The bigger issue is if you never plan to off-road, you're taking a considerable fuel economy hit going with a live axle BOF SUV to do the same thing as your MDX. You also lose out a lot of passenger and cargo space. But it should have better early acceleration than your naturally aspirated V6 MDX so would feel more spirited in city driving.
Thanks. This really helps. I was thinking about the fuel economy as well, but most SUVs in this size category seem to have similar fuel economy range and some are hybrid versions.

MDX 2024: 19/26
Lexus GX 550: 15/21
Lexus LX: 17/22
4Runner 2025: 21/25
4Runner 2024 TRD Pro: 16/19
Land Cruiser: 22/25

It’s not going to drive on the road like a MDX or most other suv/crossovers these days. They are all essentially cars with a lift. It’s feels better than I would have thought, solid and comfortable but it’s a heavy body on frame truck. Most people will just drive it only on the road, which is fine. It’s really really good looking. Including me driving 1-7 hours just to get to a particular mountain spot to off road / hike in Colorado. But anyways. Not a sports luxury suv. A well mannered truck. That I do love though ❤️

I am curious how well it would do on a washboard? That is the most annoying experience I had and I am hoping LC wouldn't be too bumpy on that.
It’s pretty solid on washboard. You can carry a conversation for sure haha

In my 40+ years of off-roading, with some exceptions, I have found slow to moderate speed works best. Fast, while thrilling, gets you stuck, quicker.

My advice to those new to off-roading, start slow and stop when you get uncomfortable. Too many think it's just like driving on road but in the dirt, many end up very stuck, very quick.

Last edited:
Back