Land Cruiser Jon tests Regular vs Premium gas mpg

He said it was due to the different drivers. One was more heavy footed and the other went slower? This was not a conclusive video at all. Not even worth recording it or making it public?

I wonder if it is really tuned for 93 or 91? 93 octane fuel is not readily available in most west and Midwest states, where premium is 91.

Last edited:
I’ve been using 93 octane E0 fuel. Daisy likes it. Two trips of 110 miles each, Michelins at 33 psi, AC running, 60 mph except brief stints through towns (45). I’ll go faster once it’s ’broken In’.

He said it was due to the different drivers. One was more heavy footed and the other went slower? This was not a conclusive video at all. Not even worth recording it or making it public?
Yeah, multiple variables on the two runs. Driver/speed, octane, wind direction? I think his overall point was that same vehicle same distance you can end up at 19 or at 23 MPG. I don't think he was trying to make much more of a point than that.

Good article from Progressive Insurance on premium vs regular fuel.

... "Also, premium gas is more resistant to engine knock in luxury and performance vehicles with turbochargers or high-compression engines, so you can hit that horsepower smoothly."

So I did some digging. It turns out, the engine has 11:1 compression ratio. I assume this is the effective max compression of fully boosted engine (otherwise the effective compression would be above 20:1 with 15 psi boost).

Recommended octane to fully utilize 11:1 compression is 92 octane.

Back