Lack of Cargo Space

Hi all, Happy New Year. Please do not forget, new 4Runner is coming with 3 rows as standard. Thus, cargo space will be severely limited.
"Please do not forget..." as if this is common knowledge that we may have forgotten with all the other details we have regarding the new 4Runner.

We technically don't even have confirmation f/ Toyota we're getting a new 4Runner in '25... right? Granted, I've seen "sources" in the 4Runner forums, that have been correct about the Land Cruiser, confirm it's coming. With that said, we have zero official info except that it's certain it's coming w/ 3 rows standard? I would be ecstatic to be corrected as I've been eagerly awaiting a new 4Runner to compare w/ the LC - care to post a link? There's several 4Runner and 4Runner-adjacent forums so I may have missed something, but this news would be yuge if you have this info.

@LC-120 - interesting, I didn't think the current 4Runner had any 3rd row seating. Hypothetically, if the new 4Runner comes w/ "standard" third row, not sure how that will mix w/ the Hybrid (I'm assuming the 4Runner would have the same drivelines as the Tacoma & LC). IMO, that would obviously create some tension w/ Land Cruiser buyers who'd want a 3rd row, don't get it, while the 4Runner, w/ the same hybrid (and likely smaller), gets the 3rd row.

I'd think from a PR standpoint - the controversy a 3rd row would create w/ the 4Runner, for Land Cruiser buyers, wouldn't be worth it for Toyota to deal with but again, I'd certainly love to be informed on this one.

I was talking about 2024 4Runner. The existing model. 4.0 V6 with a 3rd row optional. And it is not bad how they fit it.
As you say, there is no information about a completely new 4Runner coming soon.
In my opinion there is no reason to come with another new model now. 4Runner will keep many buyers. Old school, reliable, proven, real off-roader, 3rd Row available, full time AWD available.... many people are still not concerned about fuel efficiency.
Land Cruiser 250 will have a different market, more modern and more comfortable car, more features, better efficiency, made in Japan :cool:.

I was talking about 2024 4Runner. The existing model. 4.0 V6 with a 3rd row optional. And it is not bad how they fit it.
As you say, there is no information about a completely new 4Runner coming soon.
In my opinion there is no reason to come with another new model now. 4Runner will keep many buyers. Old school, reliable, proven, real off-roader, 3rd Row available, full time AWD available.... many people are still not concerned about fuel efficiency.
Land Cruiser 250 will have a different market, more modern and more comfortable car, more features, better efficiency, made in Japan :cool:.
Yep - I understood you talking about the current-gen 4Runner. I'm coming around to the idea of a 3rd row - would be gravy on top of the Land Cruiser for me but not having the 3rd row certainly isn't a deal breaker. I was mostly responding to @FarooqMCSE and it just seems wild to me that:
1. a 3rd row is standard on a new 4Runner (that would include the Hybrid), and...
2. that FMCSE sounds certain that this new 4Runner coming w/ a 3rd row when we have no official info that a new 4Runner is even coming in '25 (though I'm assuming it is - but to be fair, I've seen "sources" have been speculating the new 4Runner was coming since '20-'21 (example megathread here) which may have been delayed due to covid but it's all been speculation to this point).

Last edited:
Is anyone else concerned with how small the cargo area is with the hybrid battery? When I look at pictures of the cargo area of the U.S. model with the hybrid battery compared to the German LC with no battery the difference is huge. Even looking at the GX the difference between the models with third row with is similar to the battery and that with no battery is massive. Looking at the vent on the right hand sign you can really see the difference in depth.
GX with third row 76.9 / 40.2 / 10.3 cu ft
GX no third row 90.5 / 45.6 / - cu ftView attachment 625View attachment 626
Thanks for the video and info, It seems that all hybrid SUV's in this class have this same issue with rear cargo space affected by the battery locations and not just the Toyotas. Fuel economy is a top concern for me in this SUV class so I am willing to sacrifice some cargo space to get the hybrid capabilities of increased power and economy. (some of the independent non-EPA mpg ratings for the LC are coming in at an impressive 27mpg combined). However the hump in the back seats when folded may be a deal-breaker for me personally, I have a strong preference to have the seats folding completely flat as a comfortable area for dog bedding and a place that I can stretch out completely and take a nap on longer road trips. For some people this may not be of much concern but I am somewhat of a minimalist and have no desire to build a platform for the already compromised rear space and dealing with another gadget to take in and out or stow away in my garage when not using or trying to make room for extra cargo. Also, there is something unsettling about sleeping or riding long distances in such close proximity to all of these electrically charged metallic substances, harmful EMF radiation levels especially at maximum regenerative energy, ?? I have been researching the 2025 hybrid 4Runners and they are apparently built on the exact same rolling chassis / frame with very similar hybrid components (TNGA-F, 2024 Tacoma and LC) so my impression is that the performance, interior and cargo room of the new 4Runner will be very similar or possibly a bit worse once available in late 2024. Aside from these potential concerns and some cost considerations, I think these are truly amazing vehicles.

Thanks for the video and info, It seems that all hybrid SUV's in this class have this same issue with rear cargo space affected by the battery locations and not just the Toyotas. Fuel economy is a top concern for me in this SUV class so I am willing to sacrifice some cargo space to get the hybrid capabilities of increased power and economy. (some of the independent non-EPA mpg ratings for the LC are coming in at an impressive 27mpg combined). However the hump in the back seats when folded may be a deal-breaker for me personally, I have a strong preference to have the seats folding completely flat as a comfortable area for dog bedding and a place that I can stretch out completely and take a nap on longer road trips. For some people this may not be of much concern but I am somewhat of a minimalist and have no desire to build a platform for the already compromised rear space and dealing with another gadget to take in and out or stow away in my garage when not using or trying to make room for extra cargo. Also, there is something unsettling about sleeping or riding long distances in such close proximity to all of these electrically charged metallic substances, harmful EMF radiation levels especially at maximum regenerative energy, ?? I have been researching the 2025 hybrid 4Runners and they are apparently built on the exact same rolling chassis / frame with very similar hybrid components (TNGA-F, 2024 Tacoma and LC) so my impression is that the performance, interior and cargo room of the new 4Runner will be very similar or possibly a bit worse once available in late 2024. Aside from these potential concerns and some cost considerations, I think these are truly amazing vehicles.
Where are you seeing 27 mpg ratings?

"Also, there is something unsettling about sleeping or riding long distances in such close proximity to all of these electrically charged metallic substances, harmful EMF radiation levels especially at maximum regenerative energy, ??"
Not doubting at this juncture, but curious. Is there good evidence that EMF can be harmful to the human organism? I can understand a possible concern if one has any metal within their body, but otherwise?

I've been driving a 1958 edition for two weeks and I'm thrilled with the cargo space. Coming from a DCSB Tacoma (mine) and Crosstrek PHEV (wife's), and with two kids and lots of summer roadtrips, we needed more space. The LC's hatch area seemed just as big as the 5th gen 4Runner I test-drove back to back at the dealer. Definitely clear that the battery takes up some space, but FAR better executed than the Crosstrek...that's for sure. Subaru took out a ton of space with that thing. Just my $.02.

The models we are getting in UK with the 2.8 diesel engine has 3 rows and so 7 seats but the 3 rd row seems to fold into the floor neatly if slowly on a motor leaving a larger cargo area

From the images I have seen the hybrid’s battery occupies a fairly large amount of space and Toyota have fitted the rear seat side pods with cup holders etc which takes away even more space - the battery issues is just the way things are these days with the larger less efficient battery tech but the side pods for non existent seats is a little wasteful

Is anyone else concerned with how small the cargo area is with the hybrid battery? When I look at pictures of the cargo area of the U.S. model with the hybrid battery compared to the German LC with no battery the difference is huge. Even looking at the GX the difference between the models with third row with is similar to the battery and that with no battery is massive. Looking at the vent on the right hand sign you can really see the difference in depth.
GX with third row 76.9 / 40.2 / 10.3 cu ft
GX no third row 90.5 / 45.6 / - cu ftView attachment 625View attachment 626
I took my 2016 GX460 with me to measure the cargo hold against the 1958. The 1958 is actually 5 inches deeper to the second row seat fold line. 1958 is 4 inches less on the overall door hole width than the GX but that's because the 1958 has a hatch that raises instead of the swing open door so needs room for the shock pistons. 1958 has the same pop open/raise up rear window that I love on my GX too. The interior width is about the same between wheel well bumps. With second row seats folded up, 1958 measurement is the same up to the back of the drivers seat but flat folded seat does have a 4 inch step up from rear cargo surface. The GX has maybe 1 inch difference so sliding large items in does not usually require going around to lift item up on GX like 1958. 1958 center seats do have a full second tumble forward though, if you prefer (even with the head rest attached) that my 2016 does not have, that clears a deep hole where you would climb back to the third row (if it had one). That space is ideal to slide in tall items or place super heavy items (for low center of gravity) behind the double folded seats.

Last edited:
While we are talking storage space, can anyone give info on how much storage the center console storage has with and without the "coolbox" (part of the Premium package and FE)? I have no need for a "cool box" and would rather have the storage space, but wondering what it looks like in terms of space without one (I presume the 1958 trim is a good example)

Back