Josh’s Cars of Japan - Land Cruiser Review

We bought a 1958. Have had it two weeks and put on a little over a 1000 miles. First Toyota. The LC fitted our requirements perfectly. A capable rugged reliable vehicle that is as at home on a highway as it is on a forestry road.

The video that convinced me was “The car care nut” review on you tube.

To me the cloth seats and hard plastic were a feature -I have an active dog.

I am really impressed with the drive train and we are getting better that the advertised fuel economy. It is a different drive train and there is a lot going on. It sounds and behaves completely differently from any drive train I have experienced. I think that really unsettles many reviewers. It does its job very well- lots of torque on demand, reasonable power without turbo lag, and impressive city economy if you drive it like a hybrid.

There are times where it gets a little lost between the two motors and its gear selection. I have found that changing the driving mode or simply putting your foot in it corrects that. While the vehicle is a smooth cruise, the drive train is a time busy which is not is smooth.

This is one soft ride much more Ford than Porsche. The biggest compromise is the soft suspension which means it handles like a body on frame truck. It is not a vehicle that wants to be hustled.

However it is a vehicle that is very comfortable, very capable both on and off road which to me fits the Land Cruiser reputation, and reasonably economical to operate. Our build quality is excellent and I have no doubt it’s is rugged enough, and durable for our use.

We did take a bit of a leap of faith in buying a year one model, and with the supposed added complexity of a hybrid powertrain, but hey real risk is owning a German car out of warranty.

Geez C'mon man, he even complained about not seeing a cone in front of the car. This guy doesn't even look like he off roads. Complained also about the steering feel! Really? I love the steering feel. Next he will complain about how high he has to step up to get in.

Back