Is there any way to backup the user settings in the LC?

exabyte

๐Ÿ“› Founding Member
Apr 24, 2024
Page, AZ and Wallowa Lake, OR
Vehicles
LC with LC trim, Meteor Shower with black interior
I have tweaked lots of settings in the LC (LC trim) to my liking and wonder if I add a dash-cam and need to disconnect the 12V battery or any electrical glitch, will all of those settings be lost? Is there a backup battery equivalent that stores enough voltage to save settings in memory? Does the hybrid battery provide the backup? I found nothing in the manual. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Great question, as it is preventive maintenance (check/add water) time for our 2021 Highlander, and I wonder what will be lost when disconnecting the 12V battery.

Back in the day, we used to hook up a 9v battery into the cigar lighter and that was enough voltage to preserve settings. (POS is the center of the socket and Neg is the side of the socket. It appears there is a gadget that plugs into the OBDII port. I would suggest you fool the vehicle into thinking the door is closed BEFORE you disconnect the 12 battery! These auto dome lights will drain a small backup battery in an instant. ie... open the door, relatch the door striker, wait till all the lights go out, then disconnect the 12v.

But to be honest, why not just pull the fuse or just be careful if tapping into the pins.

(edit) If the hybrid battery is providing power to preserve settings while the 12v battery is disconnected, it would stand to reason it's also providing power to other circuits as well. That is an area that I plan to explore....... what is isolated from what on the two systems. I've never owned or worked on a hybrid, but I am fluent in electrical circuits.

Last edited:
That would be interesting to determine. It seems there must be some crossover, exactly how much will be interesting to know. I look forward to the results of your research.

That would be interesting to determine. It seems there must be some crossover, exactly how much will be interesting to know. I look forward to the results of your research.
There's cross over for sure as the Hybrid motor charges the 12v battery

A lot of your profile settings are stored in the cloud. That includes radio settings, seat, settings, radio preferences. Also, if you go into another vehicle and sign in a lot of of your settings, will download to that vehicle also.

I had a Lexus that I traded in for the Land Cruiser and a lot of the settings for my Lexus came down to the land cruiser.

That is nice to know. I was also wondering if settings like the three different dashboard display configurations or the particular settings like back door opening height, etc. would be able to be backed up as well. I wondered if those type of settings were also stored in the cloud.

That is nice to know. I was also wondering if settings like the three different dashboard display configurations or the particular settings like back door opening height, etc. would be able to be backed up as well. I wondered if those type of settings were also stored in the cloud.
Dash display settings, door opening height, etc are not backed up. Only stuff thats configured via head unit is backed up

Back