Is The New Toyota Land Cruiser a Towing Champ or Chump?

We good. Actually pretty damn impressed towing mountain grades and easily holding 60ish at 3500rpm on at least 6-7% grades.

Attachments

• IMG_3745.jpeg
    IMG_3745.jpeg
    345.3 KB · Views: 63
TFL needs to get their collective heads out of their a$$es, and own the fact that they couldn't operate the tow/haul system and never admitted it was their fault, subsequently putting out this trash video focusing on software. So many people are now quoting them, and yet when you actually assess the LC's towing ability near max, it arguably did quite a bit better than the GX550. They also recently suggested in another video that the towing software in the Tacoma was different/better than that in the LC; I doubt that is true, but don't have a Tacoma to check.

Coming from a 5th Gen 4Runner, I want to know how much better the LC tows, and TFL pretty much ignored the actual towing capabilities in favor of hyperbolically trashing the inconveniences of the software and kludgy hitch.

100% agree. I’ve had zero software issues towing with LC. Hitch is tighter than a truck, but in no way impacted my ability to tow or create any additional frustration.

They did however do the TFL Toaster Test with a Tacoma iForceMAX yesterday and it did pretty damn good at max towing whereas full size trucks struggled with derates and errors as well as not even at max towing.

TFL needs to get their collective heads out of their a$$es, and own the fact that they couldn't operate the tow/haul system and never admitted it was their fault, subsequently putting out this trash video focusing on software.
^^^^^THIS^^^^^

I can’t stand them, and quit watching their videos a couple of years ago..

100% agree. I’ve had zero software issues towing with LC. Hitch is tighter than a truck, but in no way impacted my ability to tow or create any additional frustration.

They did however do the TFL Toaster Test with a Tacoma iForceMAX yesterday and it did pretty damn good at max towing whereas full size trucks struggled with derates and errors as well as not even at max towing.
I saw that; they really need to take the LC up there before it cools off, but as of yesterday probably missed that window. I think this video was where they stated that the Tacoma software was better than the LC's. [eyeroll]

Seems like ..... "Lies, damned lies, and statistics" .... come into play with this topic!

Some Youtube towing videos... may fall into some personal statistics....

I like some of TFL stuff, like Ike Gauntlet but couple of these guys are super annoying. Its hard to watch sometimes. I enjoy watching the dude in Canada much more, TK truck king. Him and his dad are way more advanced in their knowledge and understanding of offroading

^^^^^THIS^^^^^

I can’t stand them, and quit watching their videos a couple of years ago..
I totally agree - that dad is soooo annoying to watch. Horrible camera shots and talks over the person that's supposed to be reviewing....

Poor commentary, bad recommendations & reviews, repeatedly recycled content - next!

I honestly didn’t watch the video. I prefer to read text.
I towed my sxs today ~20 miles. It weighs around 2000 pounds. I averaged 16 mpg. The lc pulls just as well as my 5th gen 4Runner perhaps a little better because I believe it is heavier. Braking was significantly better.
Overall, for my needs, I won’t tow anything much heavier and not for long distances. Towing is not the primary reason I purchased the lc. I probably hook up a handful of times a year. It’s a good fit for me and that’s what matters.
I usually don’t tow the sxs but wifey burnt the belt on the weekend, wear and tear basically.

Attachments

• IMG_2958.jpeg
    IMG_2958.jpeg
    610.8 KB · Views: 31
I towed my 21' 2600lb camping trailer. Phoenix to Flagstaff AZ and back . It was a better ride than my 2020 5.0 f150.
I was pleasantly impressed.
Lost half my MPG overall.
Same situation as pulling with my truck

I honestly didn’t watch the video. I prefer to read text.
This is me as well. I’ve taken to a couple you tube channels now that I can watch, or at least have playing in the background while I work, but for most I’d rather just read an article than watch a video.

We good. Actually pretty damn impressed towing mountain grades and easily holding 60ish at 3500rpm on at least 6-7% grades.

Nice! Looks like you got it dial in as the trailer is sitting level. What's the tongue weight and total weight?

Back