📛 Founding Member
Aug 12, 2024
Media
Bluff City, TN
Vehicles
2024 Toyota Land Cruiser Premium, 2021 Toyota Venza Limited
Howdy all,

2024 Land Cruiser LC premium package with Toyota Integrated Dashcam

I've looked everywhere to see what the provided 16gb MicroSD card could be upgraded to/with, but I've found almost zero accurate information...
I read on another Toyota Forum that a guy successfully used a 256gb card formatted to FAT32, but I had no success with that... (He used a Mac to format the card, I used a PC, not sure that makes any difference?)
I did finally read in the manual where a max of 128gb is supported, but nothing about speed, brands, etc... I also read that a max card size of 32gb could be used for firmware upgrades if not done via WiFi through your phone app.

Has anyone successfully upgraded theirs? If so, what brand, size, etc. did you use?
I have ordered a Samsung Pro 128gb card to see if that will work...

I've attached the manual here for convenience/reference.

Attachments

• Toyota_Integrated_Dashcam.pdf
    3.3 MB · Views: 55
I had no problems with upgrading to a larger SD Card (that I had from my previous vehicles dash cam). You have to download the app on your phone and once you connect to it to the dashcam, there is an option in settings to format the card and it is done.

A word of warning. A LOT of people have rated the Toyota camera app poorly because of connectivity issues. While it has trouble, so did my BlackVue Dashcam App. Here is the problem. You are using the phone's wifi to connect to the camera and it is not really an internet source. So, your phone may try to reconnect to your home internet (assuming you are in the driveway or garage). Also the CarPlay constantly fights with the Camera App.

So, I drove to a gas station down the street and filled up (premium of course) so my home internet is no longer a problem. Then, you need to disconnect the phone from the Toyota. There is a setting on the Toyota to Disconnect the phone. If you do not do that, you will constantly have a dropped connection on the Camera as it searches for better connections.

Sadly this is not well discussed in the manual, but only wasted a few minutes as our BlackVue has a similar issue.

I had no problems with upgrading to a larger SD Card (that I had from my previous vehicles dash cam). You have to download the app on your phone and once you connect to it to the dashcam, there is an option in settings to format the card and it is done.

A word of warning. A LOT of people have rated the Toyota camera app poorly because of connectivity issues. While it has trouble, so did my BlackVue Dashcam App. Here is the problem. You are using the phone's wifi to connect to the camera and it is not really an internet source. So, your phone may try to reconnect to your home internet (assuming you are in the driveway or garage). Also the CarPlay constantly fights with the Camera App.

So, I drove to a gas station down the street and filled up (premium of course) so my home internet is no longer a problem. Then, you need to disconnect the phone from the Toyota. There is a setting on the Toyota to Disconnect the phone. If you do not do that, you will constantly have a dropped connection on the Camera as it searches for better connections.

Sadly this is not well discussed in the manual, but only wasted a few minutes as our BlackVue has a similar issue.

Were you getting the non-stop beeps & all 3 lights flashing prior to formatting the card?
What size/brand card are you using?

You can read my take on the integrated dash cam here on my post: Impressions After 6000 Miles

The issue with connectivity is that connecting the Dashcam Wifi requires the vehicle to be on. If the vehicle is on, the vehicle wifi (not CarPlay) is set up to auto connect on your phone's wifi setting. This causes your phone to reconnect to the Toyota app wifi and los the dash cam connection. Turn the wifi setting on your phone to NOT auto connect to the Toyota wifi. I have had no problems since then with either app.

Also, there is no reason a reasonably skilled software engineer would create a limit on the SD card size for writing files. They do have pre-defined folders and obviously have to ensure the emergency dash videos do not run out of space. But having a larger size card should be better.

Were you getting the non-stop beeps & all 3 lights flashing prior to formatting the card?
What size/brand card are you using?

all the lights blinking and beeping is "normal". The big issue I had is with the app, the wifi kept dropping the camera. I am using a BlackVue SD Card (From my old DashCam). For what it is worth, make sure you are using Class 10 memory. With the nature of the camera constantly recording, cheaper memory leads to a lot of trouble.

all the lights blinking and beeping is "normal". The big issue I had is with the app, the wifi kept dropping the camera. I am using a BlackVue SD Card (From my old DashCam). For what it is worth, make sure you are using Class 10 memory. With the nature of the camera constantly recording, cheaper memory leads to a lot of trouble.
Check you phone wifi config for the Toyota wifi and make sure it's not set to auto connect. Mine was and every time I managed to connect the Dashcam, it would auto switch over to the vehicle within a few seconds. Every time.

I'm attempting using a SamSung Pro 128gb card, I've formatted it FAT32 as recommended elsewhere with no success.

I am also going to upgrade my SD card by the way you suggested. I'm confident it will work especially with these new super Duper fast hypersonic supersonic SD cards. Sandisk is my favorite.

I turned Bluetooth off and I had no issues connecting to it after trying unsuccessfully to connect to it with Bluetooth on. There is even a warning that said to disconnect from other Bluetooth devices to avoid connectivity issues.

I love my Black view as you can see in the video I posted of my collision with my Tacoma. At the bottom it tells you it was the 750 LT.

My next one will not be a Blackvue that issue alone. Mine survived that 90 mph crash and is still going strong. The built-in dash cam seems to be working OK but I'm still mounting my Blacvue for a secondary front camera and I also have a rear camera for the blackvue.

I also think I'm gonna get another two channel camera to put on the two rear side windows that do not function. I've had issues in the past with idiots on the side.
PS I'm using 18 font on a MacBook Air. Does it look gigantic on a desktop monitor?

I am also going to upgrade my SD card by the way you suggested. I'm confident it will work especially with these new super Duper fast hypersonic supersonic SD cards. Sandisk is my favorite.

I turned Bluetooth off and I had no issues connecting to it after trying unsuccessfully to connect to it with Bluetooth on. There is even a warning that said to disconnect from other Bluetooth devices to avoid connectivity issues.

I love my Black view as you can see in the video I posted of my collision with my Tacoma. At the bottom it tells you it was the 750 LT.

My next one will not be a Blackvue that issue alone. Mine survived that 90 mph crash and is still going strong. The built-in dash cam seems to be working OK but I'm still mounting my Blacvue for a secondary front camera and I also have a rear camera for the blackvue.

I also think I'm gonna get another two channel camera to put on the two rear side windows that do not function. I've had issues in the past with idiots on the side.
PS I'm using 18 font on a MacBook Air. Does it look gigantic on a desktop monitor?
Looks okay to me..

Attachments

• IMG_8013.jpeg
    IMG_8013.jpeg
    31.5 KB · Views: 10
That did the trick with the Samsung Endurance Pro 128gb card. :) Thanks for the suggestion.

Just some speculation, but I think if you insert a newly formatted SD card, the dash cam is looking for certain folders and It can’t find them.

When you do a format in the dash cam itself I think it creates those folder structures and that’s why it works this way.

Pretty sure I ran into this before, but nowadays, I forget more than I retain.

Just some speculation, but I think if you insert a newly formatted SD card, the dash cam is looking for certain folders and It can’t find them.

When you do a format in the dash cam itself I think it creates those folder structures and that’s why it works this way.

Pretty sure I ran into this before, but nowadays, I forget more than I retain.
I believe this is correct. However, I think the key is the Dashcam app keeps metadata about the folders, photos, and video, and if the card does not match the app metadata -- as in I deleted a few videos with the SD card on my Mac and not using the app --- then the app will say no bueno and stop working.

Back