Impressions After 6000 Miles

laughnpup

đź“› Founding Member
Jul 19, 2024
Media
Virginia
Vehicles
1994 2nd Gen 4Runner, 2015 Grand Cherokee Overland, 2024 J250 Land Cruiser
Sorry for the long post but a lot to pack into our thoughts on our new Meteor Shower Land Cruiser which we have had only since July 10.

We absolutely love our new Land Cruiser. We just got back from a 5600 mile drive across the west visiting friends and seeing places in the Dakotas, Wyoming, and Montana that we missed when we lived in Utah and Colorado a ways back. We are off-road , fire road, gravel road, and beach drivers, not rock crawlers for intro.

She has an excellent driving experience, more comfortable than we expected for both passenger and driver. She never hesitated and could easily accelerate up steep mountain passes even in Eco mode. Our overall total mileage is 20.3 mpg after 6100 miles. I drive the vehicle pretty hard, and we have done a lot of highway and interstate miles, a bit of higher elevation driving during our three weeks out west often at 75-85 mph on roads in the Dakotas and Montana. We have done very little city or suburb driving so far though that will change. I had her in Normal mode for the first half of the big trip and switched to Eco mode for the second half just to see how it would drive which was fine! It is hard to say if she would have had much higher mileage if all the driving was in Eco mode.

My lone item to recommend to Toyota is that because of the small fuel tank, I would really appreciate a dash message reminder or dash alarm for less than 100 miles left in the tank. When I was covering 400+ miles in a day, it was easy to forget the fuel level and there are definitely some places out west where there’s no fuel service for 50 or more miles. And we stayed almost all on paved road.

We did not really use the cool box and would have preferred more storage space. A printed tray like we have seen on some posts here would be useful.

I connected the Toyota app when I picked up the vehicle with the help of the sales person. However, the digital key did not load properly, and I did not have time to get this addressed until I got back after our extended first big trip. To get the digital key working, we had to re-connect the phone using Bluetooth holding it next to the start button which took several tries. The digital key works pretty nicely but I do not depend on it. It’s great to know it’s there in case I forget the key or forget to bring it with me as a convenience when I need something in the car.

Even after getting the digital key connected, however, the Toyota app left me hanging in “Remote Activation Pending” mode. My local dealer rep who was relatively savvy about the app told me to call Toyota’s support number directly. Toyota answered within a minute and quickly solved the problem. Interesting, I mentioned to support that I had trouble setting up my wife’s app connectivity. The Toyota support person told me just use the same app login user credentials and do not create another log in. We have not tried this yet for driver settings, so we are wondering how we will get her profile settings customized.

On our trip out west, I spent a lot of time fooling with the dash settings and concluded, as mentioned elsewhere on the forum, that the Toyota features like map and music sources are not well integrated or even simply switchable with CarPlay. The most egregious is SiriusXM and CarPlay which we used day-in and day-out for three weeks. It takes at least 3 plinks of your fingers on some mechanism like the screen or the mode to switch to Sirius from Carplay.

We got the Toyota Integrated Dashcam which isn’t really integrated with anything from an application perspective. It surprisingly takes up a lot of windshield space. After a little bit of directly messing around the storage card, I learned you can screw the app up by deleting files directly. I had to re-format the drive to get it working again. Since the Toyota Integrated Dashcam app and the Toyota application (for iPhone) are not integrated, the key to pulling video files is to make sure the Toyota app wifi setting on iPhone is not set to auto connect. Otherwise, whenever I successfully connected to the Dashcam using the Dashcam app via wifi, within several seconds, my phone would reconnect to the Toyota system since the vehicle has to be powered on to use the Dashcam. The Dashcam app has a clunky user interface which requires selecting the video files you want and then downloading to the app. Then, you have to select the video files in a separate part of the Dashcam app to share them to your phone. I have not found a way load them to the Apple photo app directly. Ugh

One more thing - you cannot swap in a larger micro-SD card since it is directly attached to the plug device. Does Toyota wants you to buy larger cards directly from them? That’s ridiculous.

The dash cam takes up a lot of driver-side windshield which I found occasionally irritating when rounding sharp turns. Someone on IH8Mud moved his to the passenger side so that seems like an option.

Next steps are getting some new all terrain tires since we get some tricky weather here in Virginia, and we often are driving down to the mountains in south west Virginia and to North Carolina. Lots more on the back burner after that.
BigHornCanyon-FavGemiAtBigHornPullover-DSCF0598.jpeg
BigHornCanyon-GemiLookingNorth-DSCF0699.jpeg
Gemi-BisonSideEyeInDoorMirror.jpeg
GemiWithDevilsTower-DSCF0488.jpeg
GemiWithTriceratops.jpeg
IMG_6746.jpeg

Attachments

• BigHornCanyon-FavGemiAtBigHornPullover-DSCF0598.jpeg
    BigHornCanyon-FavGemiAtBigHornPullover-DSCF0598.jpeg
    408.9 KB · Views: 350
  • GemiWithDevilsTower-DSCF0488.jpeg
    GemiWithDevilsTower-DSCF0488.jpeg
    380.5 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Great write up thank you for posting. I can definitely see the short comings with the dash cam. I’m not liking it at all on mine, but it came with it when I bought it so it is what it is. Curreim at roughly 600 miles on my 58 edition, most driving has been done in normal mode and seeing about 20.2 ish mpg, honestly I can live with that considering I came from a 2013 Tacoma TRD Sport with little mpg. I have enjoyed the Apple CarPlay app on mine, haven’t really messed with the satellite XM feature. Short list mods for me is the tires, I want the all terrain’s. In addition little things like the iforcemax badge delete and replace it with an old style badge, and an all weather cargo mat, and cargo cover.
Again thank you for the write up!

You could use up to a 128 GB card. Make sure it’s industrial grade or high endurance for the heat aspect.
Yes read that in the manual and agree that temp range is critical. However it makes zero sense that there’s an upper storage limit. It’s probably just the max size that Toyota sells. I can’t tell or find on the web what card Touota is reselling as they have it white labeled as a Toyota part number. The issue is the plug connected it’s attached to that slides into the DashCam
You could use up to a 128 GB card. Make sure it’s industrial grade or high endurance for the heat aspect.

Attachments

• IMG_6850.jpeg
    IMG_6850.jpeg
    218.2 KB · Views: 105
Yes read that in the manual and agree that temp range is critical. However it makes zero sense that there’s an upper storage limit. It’s probably just the max size that Toyota sells. I can’t tell or find on the web what card Touota is reselling as they have it white labeled as a Toyota part number. The issue is the plug connected it’s attached to that slides into the DashCam
I am using a Samsung and a sandisk with no problems.

When you pull the card assy out of dash cam the card slides out of the card assy.

I am using a Samsung and a sandisk with no problems.

When you pull the card assy out of dash cam the card slides out of the card assy.
Good to know. My SD card appears to be glued or fixed in some fashion to the card assembly.

Great write up thank you for posting. I can definitely see the short comings with the dash cam. I’m not liking it at all on mine, but it came with it when I bought it so it is what it is. Curreim at roughly 600 miles on my 58 edition, most driving has been done in normal mode and seeing about 20.2 ish mpg, honestly I can live with that considering I came from a 2013 Tacoma TRD Sport with little mpg. I have enjoyed the Apple CarPlay app on mine, haven’t really messed with the satellite XM feature. Short list mods for me is the tires, I want the all terrain’s. In addition little things like the iforcemax badge delete and replace it with an old style badge, and an all weather cargo mat, and cargo cover.
Again thank you for the write up!
Thank you for the thoughtful summary. A real world owner’s perspective.

Sorry for the long post but a lot to pack into our thoughts on our new Meteor Shower Land Cruiser which we have had only since July 10.

We absolutely love our new Land Cruiser. We just got back from a 5600 mile drive across the west visiting friends and seeing places in the Dakotas, Wyoming, and Montana that we missed when we lived in Utah and Colorado a ways back. We are off-road , fire road, gravel road, and beach drivers, not rock crawlers for intro.

She has an excellent driving experience, more comfortable than we expected for both passenger and driver. She never hesitated and could easily accelerate up steep mountain passes even in Eco mode. Our overall total mileage is 20.3 mpg after 6100 miles. I drive the vehicle pretty hard, and we have done a lot of highway and interstate miles, a bit of higher elevation driving during our three weeks out west often at 75-85 mph on roads in the Dakotas and Montana. We have done very little city or suburb driving so far though that will change. I had her in Normal mode for the first half of the big trip and switched to Eco mode for the second half just to see how it would drive which was fine! It is hard to say if she would have had much higher mileage if all the driving was in Eco mode.

My lone item to recommend to Toyota is that because of the small fuel tank, I would really appreciate a dash message reminder or dash alarm for less than 100 miles left in the tank. When I was covering 400+ miles in a day, it was easy to forget the fuel level and there are definitely some places out west where there’s no fuel service for 50 or more miles. And we stayed almost all on paved road.

We did not really use the cool box and would have preferred more storage space. A printed tray like we have seen on some posts here would be useful.

I connected the Toyota app when I picked up the vehicle with the help of the sales person. However, the digital key did not load properly, and I did not have time to get this addressed until I got back after our extended first big trip. To get the digital key working, we had to re-connect the phone using Bluetooth holding it next to the start button which took several tries. The digital key works pretty nicely but I do not depend on it. It’s great to know it’s there in case I forget the key or forget to bring it with me as a convenience when I need something in the car.

Even after getting the digital key connected, however, the Toyota app left me hanging in “Remote Activation Pending” mode. My local dealer rep who was relatively savvy about the app told me to call Toyota’s support number directly. Toyota answered within a minute and quickly solved the problem. Interesting, I mentioned to support that I had trouble setting up my wife’s app connectivity. The Toyota support person told me just use the same app login user credentials and do not create another log in. We have not tried this yet for driver settings, so we are wondering how we will get her profile settings customized.

On our trip out west, I spent a lot of time fooling with the dash settings and concluded, as mentioned elsewhere on the forum, that the Toyota features like map and music sources are not well integrated or even simply switchable with CarPlay. The most egregious is SiriusXM and CarPlay which we used day-in and day-out for three weeks. It takes at least 3 plinks of your fingers on some mechanism like the screen or the mode to switch to Sirius from Carplay.

We got the Toyota Integrated Dashcam which isn’t really integrated with anything from an application perspective. It surprisingly takes up a lot of windshield space. After a little bit of directly messing around the storage card, I learned you can screw the app up by deleting files directly. I had to re-format the drive to get it working again. Since the Toyota Integrated Dashcam app and the Toyota application (for iPhone) are not integrated, the key to pulling video files is to make sure the Toyota app wifi setting on iPhone is not set to auto connect. Otherwise, whenever I successfully connected to the Dashcam using the Dashcam app via wifi, within several seconds, my phone would reconnect to the Toyota system since the vehicle has to be powered on to use the Dashcam. The Dashcam app has a clunky user interface which requires selecting the video files you want and then downloading to the app. Then, you have to select the video files in a separate part of the Dashcam app to share them to your phone. I have not found a way load them to the Apple photo app directly. Ugh

One more thing - you cannot swap in a larger micro-SD card since it is directly attached to the plug device. Does Toyota wants you to buy larger cards directly from them? That’s ridiculous.

The dash cam takes up a lot of driver-side windshield which I found occasionally irritating when rounding sharp turns. Someone on IH8Mud moved his to the passenger side so that seems like an option.

Next steps are getting some new all terrain tires since we get some tricky weather here in Virginia, and we often are driving down to the mountains in south west Virginia and to North Carolina. Lots more on the back burner after that.View attachment 9673View attachment 9674View attachment 9675View attachment 9676View attachment 9677View attachment 9678
PM if you want a printed tray. I am shipping about 40 per week. Should be through the backlog in a few weeks.

PM if you want a printed tray. I am shipping about 40 per week. Should be through the backlog in a few weeks.
I saw your thread some time ago which is why I mentioned it. How do I get in the queue? Btw, I am not sure how private messaging works on this forum. "Conversations" appear to be public by default. Any tips?

I saw your thread some time ago which is why I mentioned it. How do I get in the queue? Btw, I am not sure how private messaging works on this forum. "Conversations" appear to be public by default. Any tips?
PM'd

Next steps are getting some new all terrain tires since we get some tricky weather here in Virginia, and we often are driving down to the mountains in south west Virginia and to North Carolina. Lots more on the back burner after that.View attachment 9673View attachment 9674View attachment 9675View attachment 9676View attachment 9677View attachment 9678
Well written. Much of the same experiences.

Back