I’m ready to pull the trigger on a LC but…..

I am looking to buy and have the same thought. I do feel good about the fact that Toyota is stepping up to own the issue with the tundra 3.5 announcing to replace all the motors. Not ideal, but better than other automakers.

Reactions: MJE
I recommend the Car Care Nut review of the LC. That guy knows what he’s looking at and goes into much detail on the choices Toyota made architecting that engine. It’s a very interesting watch if you’re interested in the material at that level of detail at all.

Spoiler alert, he is very complimentary of the simple and basic approach Toyota used in the powertrain design with the exception of the injector location and a couple small things.

Hello from Hamburg, NY! I too was nervous, but Toyota has been putting hybrids in cars for nearly 20 years. This engine has also been used in many other vehicles and there have been no reports of issues.

Go Bills!

A “v” engine is much more difficult to turbo than an in-line, thus the twin turbo on the v6 , one for each side. Toyota is putting this I force max in several different vehicles it had better be reliable.

This engine was in my 2022 Lexus NX 350 and I loved it. Never had a problem with it like it’s already been said, this engine has been in use for years without any problems whatsoever. It’s improvement in.

A “v” engine is much more difficult to turbo than an in-line, thus the twin turbo on the v6 , one for each side. Toyota is putting this I force max in several different vehicles it had better be reliable.
Not really. It is not a design problem. Engines that they manufacture in Japan are fine. It is the US factories that have issues which historically has always been the case and the reason why people preferred Japanese made models.

The issue with the turbo V6 was mainly the debris form the machining process not being properly cleaned. In my opinion this shows a massive failure of the QC department more than anything else.

I recommend the Car Care Nut review of the LC. That guy knows what he’s looking at and goes into much detail on the choices Toyota made architecting that engine. It’s a very interesting watch if you’re interested in the material at that level of detail at all.

Spoiler alert, he is very complimentary of the simple and basic approach Toyota used in the powertrain design with the exception of the injector location and a couple small things.
I watched it last week. It was great!

I had similar internal debate and questions, but I lean on two thoughts. I have owned three 4Runners that each had phenomenal performance and reliability with miles into 300K+ range and were still going strong when I sold them. Yes they were traditional 6 & 8 cylinder engines. But then there is the long standing globally accepted concept that the Land Cruiser is the vehicle to depend on in some of the toughest conditions in the world when you absolutely have to get there. I do not believe Toyota would throw an engine in this current LC that would not maintain that hard earned reputation.

I'm about to buy one as well. However I can wait. And since I don't want to pay for add on's I don't need I decided to wait. Not sure if I buy one when I find one with my desired feature set or if I wait until they announce 2025 updates. I don't expect any changes for 2025, but rather only minor things like additional colors or variations of the premium package. This then automatically gives me time to look at the early reliability, because people will have driven 20k miles or more, some offroading stress tests, electronic bugs will be fixed.

I was a BETA tester on the 2015 Ford Transit Van, 1 ton. Biggest mistake I have ever made. I blindly trusted Ford. Biggest mistake I have ever made.

I think Toyota is in a whole different league, than Ford. I feel like I made the right choice. Time will tell.

I was a BETA tester on the 2015 Ford Transit Van, 1 ton. Biggest mistake I have ever made. I blindly trusted Ford. Biggest mistake I have ever made.

I think Toyota is in a whole different league, than Ford. I feel like I made the right choice. Time will tell.
After driving a 2015 Chevy Colorado for five years I made the decision to never buy an American made/American built vehicle again. This rules out to comas and tundras for me.

I watched it. Great Video.

Adding to what's already been said. Long term reliability is still a wait and see but it's looking good for the T24A so far. As far as performance, in my experience the Hybrid Max system has been great. Instant torque, smooth transition between gas and electric and the 8-speed is uber smooth. 19.2 mpg isn't great, but when you consider the size, shape and weight of this thing, coupled with how I drive it, that mpg is quite impressive.

Back