I do not recommend Matte Screen protector from StickerFab

AccentedWanderer

📛 Founding Member
Aug 22, 2024
Media
United States
Vehicles
Land Crusier 24
Has anyone bought Paint Protection Film passed as a "screen protector"?

Well, I had. Foolish me to think XPEL offers more than just PPF.

Imagine putting a piece of pre-cut PPF not designed for electronic screen. The light gets depolarized. The film stretches and stick from the heat. Incredible bubbling until you start using vinyl wrap technics.

Honestly this product is not marketable. I will take my fat "L" here but hope to warn others not to fall into this overpriced trap. At least this is not something from AliExpress, with prices jacked up 5 times, like few other items in their store. I do not like drop-shippers and rather pay my patriot tax some other way.

However credit to where credit is due to StickerFab. Some original products are creative and ill give them satisfactory reviews. I enjoyed the vinyl stickers but sadly not this one.

Quote from “XPEL”, same website the vendor is trying refute me - “When applied by a professional installer, the results are virtually unnoticeable.” How am I to find out that this is XPEL steal and not XPEL ultimate plus as demonstrated on their website.

Do we really have to own a wrap shop to get the shown result?

IMG_3229.JPG
IMG_3228.JPG
IMG_3232.JPG

Last edited:
Hello,

The provided install video should get you through a painless install with no bubbles. Allow to dry and then you get the final result.

Xpel Stealth information from Xpel:

Protecting Your Car’s Interior Screens with Surface Protection Films
XPEL self-healing car interior protective films offer versatility. It is ideal for protecting your vehicle inside and out, from paintwork to digital screens. Explore the different variants XPEL has to offer, like ULTIMATE PLUS , STEATH , and ULTIMATE FUSION PLUS PPF, to learn more.

Xpel recommends their products. They used to sell a kit themselves, but I think they've moved on to supporting installers and moving their material in bulk (Screen Only Kit (STEALTH)).

--------------

Here is the install video:

1724330236633.png

We've been offering screen protectors from theocdplug.com for a while. They also use Xpel Stealth and so does Underground Graphics.

For people familiar with Teslas, Abstract Ocean also uses it:

1724331460027.png

Last edited:
No offense. But this is not a “protection” but rather a soft anti-glare layer. Usually protection for the screen includes using a hard layer like those on the laptop. They are pretty stiff and not stretchy at all. I do not like this re-purposes PPF application, I would much rather wait for a real screen protector came to the market. I paid much less than $30 for a protector on my 15 inch laptop and they worked great.

Here’s f
Hello,

The provided install video should get you through a painless install with no bubbles. Allow to dry and then you get the final result.

Xpel Stealth information from Xpel:

Protecting Your Car’s Interior Screens with Surface Protection Films
XPEL self-healing car interior protective films offer versatility. It is ideal for protecting your vehicle inside and out, from paintwork to digital screens. Explore the different variants XPEL has to offer, like ULTIMATE PLUS , STEATH , and ULTIMATE FUSION PLUS PPF, to learn more.

Xpel recommends their products. They used to sell a kit themselves, but I think they've moved on to supporting installers and moving their material in bulk (Screen Only Kit (STEALTH)).

--------------

Here is the install video:

View attachment 9087

We've been offering screen protectors from theocdplug.com for a while. They also use Xpel Stealth and so does Underground Graphics.

For people familiar with Teslas, Abstract Ocean also uses it:

View attachment 9089

Here’s also from the website fr Xpel that you quoted.

“When applied by a professional installer, the results are virtually unnoticeable.”

I guess everyone has to own a shop to get this result huh?

Luckily I do my own vinyl wrap but I think repurposing is disingenuous.

No offense. But this is not a “protection” but rather a soft anti-glare layer. Usually protection for the screen includes using a hard layer like those on the laptop. They are pretty stiff and not stretchy at all. I do not like this re-purposes PPF application, I would much rather wait for a real screen protector came to the market. I paid much less than $30 for a protector on my 15 inch laptop and they worked great.
Bingo. Hope others don’t make the same mistake I did

In this case we're not talking about drop protection. It's more of an anti scratch protection.... Before it was common to have tempered glass screen protectors for phones, all of them were of a film type material....

Maybe I'm too old and no one else remembers those 🤣. ZAGG anyone?

I actually have a video installing one of those:

-------------------------

My only "professional" training was as an Infantryman. I don't think you need to be a professional to watch our Youtube video. If I thought it was a difficult install, I wouldn't sell the item honestly.

There are quite a few install videos for similar products.

1724335552133.png

Wouldn’t this be a far better “anti-scratch” solution? It’s 9H hard. It stops any force right on that glass rather than stretch it into the real screen. and it is far cheaper as well.

IMO stretchy material only makes sense to non-flat surfaces

Wouldn’t this be a far better “anti-scratch” solution? It’s 9H hard. It stops any force right on that glass rather than stretch it into the real screen. and it is far cheaper as well.

Sure if you don't want anti-glare, matte material.

Different people have different goals.

We offer glass screen protectors as well.

Sure if you don't want anti-glare, matte material.

Different people have different goals.

We offer glass screen protectors as well.
My screen protector is also matte that provides anti-glare. I understand you have a business to run but shouldn’t you provide right product to your customer, especially you also provide glass screen protectors? Don’t mislead your customer into thinking glass protector can’t be anti-glare. For this type of screen on LC I don’t understand why PPF should have its place at all. It’s simply not a proper solution.

My screen protector is also matte that provides anti-glare. I understand you have a business to run but shouldn’t you provide right product to your customer, especially you also provide glass screen protectors? Don’t mislead your customer into thinking glass protector can’t be anti-glare. For this type of screen on LC I don’t understand why PPF should have its place at all. It’s simply not a proper solution.
I guess I didn't know that it was a proper solution for every vehicle but the Land Cruiser exclusively?

It's still in ours...

My wife drives it more than me and that is my test because she'd say something if it bothered her 😂. Maybe someone else can relate. 🤷‍♂️

I'm sorry. I put out videos to be transparent, no pun intended, about how my products work. If I struggle with them, I don't list them.

I'm not trying to be a faceless vendor. These are my own vehicles, and my family uses them daily. It gives us a lot more insight and ideas.

Last edited:
L
I guess I didn't know that it was a proper solution for every vehicle but the Land Cruiser exclusively?

It's still in ours...

My wife drives it more than me and that is my test because she'd say something 😂.

the glass protector is rigid so if a car has a curved screen that is where I think PPF has its place. Otherwise I couldn’t think of a single reason why PPF is better than glass protector.

A product is to provide solution to a problem, not the other way around.

L

the glass protector is rigid so if a car has a curved screen that is where I think PPF has its place. Otherwise I couldn’t think of a single reason why PPF is better than glass protector.

A product is to provide solution to a problem, not the other way around.
Honestly I don’t recommend because of two things.

1. PPF is NOT screen protector.

There’s film specially designed as matte screen protector. They are rigid in a way that does not flex like ppf or vinyl. But provides protection and does not require professional install.

Just because you can write on cardboard as poster doesn’t mean it’s good for it. Cardboards are better as boxes. For posters, use posters paper instead.

2. Lack of transparency on original description on what the material actually is. - I am aware what XPEL does and used them. But if I were to know those are repurposed PPF. I wouldn’t stay away and put my $24.95 else where.

Excellent point on “A product is to provide solution to a problem, not the other way around.”

Unsurprisingly the aliexpress glass protector was excellent. I wonder why we get all things from China

Last edited:

It's still in ours...

My wife drives it more than me and that is my test because she'd say something if it bothered her 😂. Maybe someone else can relate. 🤷‍♂️

I'm sorry. I put out videos to be transparent, no pun intended, about how my products work. If I struggle with them, I don't list them.

I'm not trying to be a faceless vendor. These are my own vehicles, and my family uses them daily. It gives us a lot more insight and ideas.

As someone that has sold printed products including stickers, decals, signs, banners, etc... for more than 20 years, it's impossible to please every customer every time, and we are in the business of trying to please every customer. It always sucks when someone attacks you in a public forum, especially when they may or may not have watched and/or understood the install process... I can't tell you how many screen protectors I've personally trashed trying to install screen protectors on my phones... At the end of the day, if you know the product is quality, don't let public "beraters" bother you. I would never knowingly sell an inferior product and having seen StickerFab on multiple forums, I know you don't either. Not everyone is able to install a vinyl-based product without bubbles, especially if you don't have much/any experience doing it. I always prefer to do a wet install to minimize bubbles on larger decals because I still stink at installing them...

Just my 2 cents worth.

attacks you in a public forum

It is indeed impossible to please every customer. At the end of the day, the customer is the one deciding which product is better at the end. Without customer, how are vendors to make a living, right?

This is what I had on my F150 and was the result we are expecting. As a customer who bought from multiple vendors, I know which product is worth my penny after trial and error.

Attack is a big word to use. I may be as strong worded as the vendor to address my dissatisfaction on the film quality itself, but since we mentioned other things, might as well ask those questions too.

Are many products offered on their website not 'drop-shipped'? Those are from "City of Industry, CA" and not Fort Meyers FL. I admit i have sentiments against drop shipping, but this is not the core which I am not satisfied with, just the quality of the film.

Are those films not PPF and a dedicated, rigid, un-stretchable screen protector material similar to products offered by "Screen ProTech" (mentioned then because they are US based and I used them) or other companies? XPEL ultimate plus is not XPEL stealth and I think this is important to mention, since I have only used XPEL ultimate before for other purpose.

Last edited:
Rather than treating my challenges as attack, you failed to use it as a good opportunity to convince, not me, but all your customers why your PPF stands out from the far more popular glass protector solutions that has been well proven in the market. If I am selling glass protector, I can simply list the selling points here:
  1. 9H Hard surface, the glass will break before the energy can be transfer to your precious screen
  2. Originally design for smart phone and laptop, it is highly light trsansmissive (99.xxx %)
  3. Hydrophobic, cleaning the surface with various beverage residual will be easy
  4. Anti-glare
  5. Cheaper than other alternatives
  6. Easy to install. No professional installation is needed
Now your have a great opportunity to convince people reading this thread why PPF stands out from alternatives. Every product needs a value proposal to sell. This is sales 101.

Selling product for 20 years is not a legitimate or relevant reason why PPF is worth considering. It is why people should buy product from you after you convince people PPF is the right product for screen protection.

Last edited:
Myself, I don't see his response as an attack on the customer.
I do think there is a certain energy rising on this thread perhaps linked to the active debate going on.

I personally don't think we need repeated posting on the matter. State the review. Provide answers/feedback.

Next topic please.

Back