Howdy from Golden

b407driver

๐Ÿ“› Founding Member
Jun 7, 2024
Media
Colorado
Vehicles
2024 LCP Trail Dust
Currently on my second 4Runner (2016 Trail PP w/KDSS) and have been impatiently waiting for the hybrid update for ~4 years, and then... they showed pictures of it. Backtracking now and also considering a GX550 Overtrail. Lots of questions on these new vehicles, so here I am.

Welcome aboard! In the same boat, also seriously considered the GX. However, our Lexus dealer is distant, and even they have recalls, especially in the first year. So, anxiously awaiting a Land Cruiser, with the Premium package. Also, another consideration was the V6 in the GX. One sweet powertrain, but oh so crammed tightly in there. Any turbo service would be a nightmare.

Hey thanks! I'd actually wait the GX out for whatever hybrid they have in store, wouldn't touch the V6 TT (mileage woes, not scared of recalls). I'm really perplexed by Lexus' decision to produce such an inefficient engine in this day and age, might as well have just kept the V8 in it.

Hey thanks! I'd actually wait the GX out for whatever hybrid they have in store, wouldn't touch the V6 TT (mileage woes, not scared of recalls). I'm really perplexed by Lexus' decision to produce such an inefficient engine in this day and age, might as well have just kept the V8 in it.
Noticed a powertrain animation on YouTube showing the GX with the same hybrid as the LC. Of course that could change. Have you noticed the LC hybrid calls for premium fuel?

Yeah, that really bums me out as well, but with all the self-adjusting electronics in these engines these days, I have a hard time believing that you couldn't put mid-grade (or lower) and be fine, especially since the Tacoma and 4Runner use the same engine. Also, the wording in the manual is somewhat inconsistent. Despite the gas cap saying 'required, the manual apparently says different ('recommended for best performance', or some such).

Have you accepted delivery yet?

"Did you try it? I'm not gonna try it, YOU try it! Hey, let's get Mikey!" ;)

Nope, have not taken delivery. In the queue.

My theory is the call for premium is to meet an EPA MPG goal, and that mid-grade will suffice. According to a post by a Toyota insider with engineering contacts, this appears to be the case. I agree, today's engines with knock sensors and variable valve timing should be able to adjust for 87 octane. Now, if putting it to the test, such as pulling a trailer on the pass out of Denver to SLC, or today in Baker, CA, then yes, probably a bit of premium.

ME try it? :) Well, easy does it, especially on a vehicle the price of the LC.

If it matters - Iโ€™m hearing from my Lexus guy (Greenwood Village) that Lexus underestimated demand for Overtrails. Heโ€™s seeing orders 3:1 for that model versus any other and Lexus is sending him 1-2 per month.

Iโ€™ve never seen an Overtrail in the wild in Denver yet. I put a deposit down in January and I donโ€™t have an allocation number; I suspect it will be next spring, by which time I might have bought a Land Cruiser instead.

Nope, have not taken delivery. In the queue.

My theory is the call for premium is to meet an EPA MPG goal, and that mid-grade will suffice. According to a post by a Toyota insider with engineering contacts, this appears to be the case. I agree, today's engines with knock sensors and variable valve timing should be able to adjust for 87 octane. Now, if putting it to the test, such as pulling a trailer on the pass out of Denver to SLC, or today in Baker, CA, then yes, probably a bit of premium.

ME try it? :) Well, easy does it, especially on a vehicle the price of the LC.
IIRC, any vehicle qualifying for sale as new in the US must be able to run on 87 octane fuel. Albeit maybe with some knocking and a performance degradation.

If it matters - Iโ€™m hearing from my Lexus guy (Greenwood Village) that Lexus underestimated demand for Overtrails. Heโ€™s seeing orders 3:1 for that model versus any other and Lexus is sending him 1-2 per month.

Iโ€™ve never seen an Overtrail in the wild in Denver yet. I put a deposit down in January and I donโ€™t have an allocation number yet; I suspect it will be next spring, by which time I might have bought a Land Cruiser instead.
Presuming you are aware the Overtrail went skimpy on the HVAC? No rear controls, or roof vents. Most likely had to meet a price point. Hopefully the capacity of the unit was not also trimmed.

Presuming you are aware the Overtrail went skimpy on the HVAC? No rear controls, or roof vents. Most likely had to meet a price point. Hopefully the capacity of the unit was not also trimmed.
Yeah, itโ€™s a weird modification that creates manufacturing cost and variance across models that one would think theyโ€™d avoid. They also only offer the small sunroof on the OT versus the panoramic on the others - which to me points at weight reduction being a goal.

Iโ€™ve never seen an Overtrail in the wild in Denver yet. I put a deposit down in January and I donโ€™t have an allocation number; I suspect it will be next spring, by which time I might have bought a Land Cruiser instead.
Well they are really the only game in town when it comes to luxury off readers. Seems they found a bit of an untapped market, I wonder if that demand continues. & if so, surely they must adjust production numbers accordingly?

Well they are really the only game in town when it comes to luxury off readers. Seems they found a bit of an untapped market, I wonder if that demand continues. & if so, surely they must adjust production numbers accordingly?
Well, there is the G-Wagen and Range Rover, possibly the Land Rover. However, cannot beat Toyota/Lexus for reliability. Strange that Lexus offers six GX trim levels, and Toyota 2 (the FE is a one-time thing). I am sure Toyota/Lexus has it all planned out, and in the case of the LC, somehow it will have to coexist in the marketplace with the 2025 4Runner.

Reactions: MJE
Along with the lack of Overtrails, I finally gave up waiting on a Meteor Shower LCP, and accepted delivery of a Trail Dust a few days ago. Color is growing on me (initially thought pictures seemed on the yellow side). 285s installed on '24 Tacoma TRD wheels, with a 275 for spare. Just need some sliders before I can really take it out, but the season is winding down...

Attachments

• IMG_5225.jpg
    IMG_5225.jpg
    586.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5233.jpg
    IMG_5233.jpg
    489.9 KB · Views: 13
Well, there is the G-Wagen and Range Rover, possibly the Land Rover. However, cannot beat Toyota/Lexus for reliability. Strange that Lexus offers six GX trim levels, and Toyota 2 (the FE is a one-time thing). I am sure Toyota/Lexus has it all planned out, and in the case of the LC, somehow it will have to coexist in the marketplace with the 2025 4Runner.
Iโ€™m sure Toyota will be able to sell all they can produce. I wonder though if they might have additional options and/or special packages after the FE goes away. With 2 versions of LC & the 1958 they might about have enough configurations, leaving lower price points or even more off road versions to the 4R.

True, I forget there are other high end luxury brands that have something in this space too. The Defender might be about the closest GX competitor down to price as well, since I believe the G-Wagen is quite a bit more money.

Back