How is the backup cam and or digital rearview mirror at night?

Uncle_Spike

đź“› Founding Member
Apr 8, 2024
Media
TN
Vehicles
2022 Jeep Wrangler 4XE, Land Cruiser 2024 FE
My 4XE Wrangler has amazing backup cam quality, However it goes from the 500K quality daytime picture to looking like a $30 walmart trail cam at night. Is the LC backup cam halfway decent at night? and what about the digital rearview mirror at night?

I too am curious about the rearview mirror in camera mode at night.

Has anyone tried that out?

Wow goose egg for me? Lol Guess no one is driving them after dark.

It doesn't get dark until way past 9pm around here and I have two young kids. When winter comes I'll be out in the dark much more. The couple times I've had it out I didn't pay much attention but had no complaints about the camera. I could still see everything around me.

We are all old. We go out for dinner at 4 PM and home by six. We don’t go out after dark. 🤣🤣🤣🤣
I think its probably because in the owners manual its says to only run 91 octane after dark and I bet no one has found the auxilary tank switch yet . So everyone is running around on the low octane reserve tank. :cool:

It doesn't get dark until way past 9pm around here and I have two young kids. When winter comes I'll be out in the dark much more. The couple times I've had it out I didn't pay much attention but had no complaints about the camera. I could still see everything around me.
thanks hopefully if you didnt notice it that means at the least its adequate.

I've fooled around with the mirror-cam a little - it's definitely bright at night, but I don't think I could drive around with it in digital mode. It gives me instant motion sickness.

A nice feature, but don't use it on our Highlander. However, if I had the vehicle full of cargo, a different story.

I've left mine on since I brought it home. I thought I wouldn't like it but I actually like it a lot. Biggest complaint from me is that when someone is 5-10ft from your rear end in traffic it looks like they're already colliding with your vehicle. Very off putting if you've ever been rear ended in traffic before.

I only use the digital rear view when ihave gear loaded in the back or someone’s head in the way, works perfectly for that.

In my experience it’s been pretty bad at night to the point where I switch to the normal rear view mode. In digital mode it just gets wonky for me at night time. When there’s no illumination at all, I get this weird double image where I have the digital image but also get the normal rear view visible and that really throws me off.

The rear view camera is serviceable in the night for me. Coupled with the surround view I’m able to confidently use it.

So, unless I'm missing some settings/configurations, the digital rearview mirror will be useless for me 99.9% of the time. They physics are interesting and not something I would have even thought about but my old eyes will not focus on the digital screen in the same that I can focus on a regular rearview mirror. Essentially, what is happening is that with the camera, everything in the "screen" of the digital mirror is in focus at one particular point in space about 24" from your face. Whereas, with a regular mirror, the focus point is actually 20+ feet behind you hopefully and your eyes aren't focusing at 24", they are focusing on an object 20+ feet away. I have excellent distance vision and have no trouble seeing a (large)bug crawling across the road when I'm doing 60, but now at 55 years of age, I need reading glasses to see my phone easily.

Just something to think about for folks contemplating the digital rearview mirror, either OEM or aftermarket.

So, unless I'm missing some settings/configurations, the digital rearview mirror will be useless for me 99.9% of the time. They physics are interesting and not something I would have even thought about but my old eyes will not focus on the digital screen in the same that I can focus on a regular rearview mirror. Essentially, what is happening is that with the camera, everything in the "screen" of the digital mirror is in focus at one particular point in space about 24" from your face. Whereas, with a regular mirror, the focus point is actually 20+ feet behind you hopefully and your eyes aren't focusing at 24", they are focusing on an object 20+ feet away. I have excellent distance vision and have no trouble seeing a (large)bug crawling across the road when I'm doing 60, but now at 55 years of age, I need reading glasses to see my phone easily.

Just something to think about for folks contemplating the digital rearview mirror, either OEM or aftermarket.
I just turned it on for the 1st time this afternoon. I have an errand to run tomorrow and check it out. I wear the spectacles as well

Yes! I’ve experienced this too. Its a little disturbing for my brain to adjust to the unexpected focal point

I was thinking i would love this feature but honestly i don’t think I’ll use it unless i have lots of gear or passengers in the back as others have said. And even then im not sure if i can tolerate it for long drives. Tbd

It very much takes some getting used to, it was distracting at first but totally used to it now after a couple weeks, and I too have middle aged eyes, a stigmatism and diabetes likes to mess with my vision regularly.

Back