Highlander has this automatic hand brake that is such an innovation, and is super convenient.

FarooqMCSE

📛 Founding Member
Sep 11, 2023
Chino, CA 91710
Vehicles
Land Cruiser year 2000
Handbrake on Highlander is automatic. You shift to Drive and brakes disengage automatically, with an LED reminding you that handbrakes are disengaged. Then when you shift to Park, handbrakes are automatically deployed. Love this idea. You can never drive with brakes engaged. Have made this mistake dozens of times of driving in a hurry with hand brakes deployed.
Hope this convenience will be standard on 2024 1958. A 2023 Honda has this feature that there is no gas cap to remove before refueling. Did forget my gas cap at the pump a few times. The design of fuel receptacle is simple but requires no cap to remove

A slight downside to the automatic parking brake has been noticed following driving in wet conditions, the brake pads "stick", i.e. after being parked, typically overnight or longer, putting the vehicle in gear (reverse, exiting the garage) results in a pronounced "snap", presumably detaching the pads from the rotors.

There is still a manual finger switch in every current Toyota that has the auto-engage/disengage parking brake. So you still have the ability to control when/if the parking brake is engaged if you don't want the factory pre-programed auto setting.

Handbrake on Highlander is automatic. You shift to Drive and brakes disengage automatically, with an LED reminding you that handbrakes are disengaged. Then when you shift to Park, handbrakes are automatically deployed. Love this idea. You can never drive with brakes engaged. Have made this mistake dozens of times of driving in a hurry with hand brakes deployed.
Hope this convenience will be standard on 2024 1958. A 2023 Honda has this feature that there is no gas cap to remove before refueling. Did forget my gas cap at the pump a few times. The design of fuel receptacle is simple but requires no cap to remove
My new Rav4 has the same setup.

Back