Hey from the Hocking Hills, SE Ohio

cmikewil

📛 Founding Member
Oct 22, 2024
SE Ohio
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler, BMW GS, 2024 Land Cruiser
Hello all, and thanks to you for the many threads I’ve read over the last several months leading up to my purchase of a mid–level LC with a premium package….and unfortunately the prerequisite 20’ wheel package. It is blue & grey, about identical to the model on the forum banner.

I’m moving over from a Wrangler, which treated me just fine over the last 6 years. My “family” grew from 2 dogs to 3 unexpectedly a month ago when we adapted my Mother-in-Law’s dog. My wife & I’s recreation/vacation activities usually include the pets, so the Jeep was becoming a bit cramped.

Our favorite trip is a drive to the Outer Banks; we frequently stay in the 4x4 area there, so a vehicle capable of safely navigating over loose, sometimes deep sand was the most important factor to me when considering what to replace the Wrangler with. Dependability is also extremely important to me; I’m nearing the end of my career and may not have the funds to purchase another vehicle that is, if I’m honest, a non-essential recreational extra for us. The Toyota name seems to fit that bill, and the Land Cruiser is legendary for the reputation it has earned.

It’s a leap of faith, in many ways. This brand new design has yet to prove its mettle. The hybrid power train is a first for me, and really pretty new to the class of vehicle. The turbo is added complexity. And premium fuel??? I’m almost ashamed of myself. 😬😬

So, this thing succeeds many previous Toyotas & Hondas, a few Chevys, a couple of Dodges, a pair of Subarus, and a trio of Mazdas in my driveway. It will join my wife’s Honda Passport, my Silverado work truck and an old Miata. Unless you are counting motorcycles… there are a few of those hanging around the garage with the autos!

We bought it on the 23rd, put some quick miles on it to get familiar with the controls, and drove 600 miles to the Outer Banks this past weekend. So far, I’m cautiously optimistic, and even pretty impressed. The street oriented tires made for a smooth ride down, but are woefully inadequate for the sand I’ll be driving in. I’m hoping for a set of 18’ takeoffs to appear in the Classified on the forum, but will have to make a wheel/tire investment one way or the other.

Welcome aboard! I purchased the same vehicle about two weeks ago and have been loving it. I agree about the OE tires and if a perfect world I'd go to 18" wheels and tires. However the 20" wheels are growing on me; Friday I pick up a set of Nitto Terra Grappler G3s. They are also new on the market but from what I have read and seen I think they will be a good fit for my use cases (mostly pavement with some light/modereate off-roading).

Back