HELP! How do you disable safety features

jeffd

📛 Founding Member
May 22, 2024
Anchorage, AK
Vehicles
'20 4Runner OR ‘24 LC 1958
I am having a devil of a time in disabling the reverse/rear assist braking when I attach my trailer hitch mounted bike rack. I’ve gone through the menus under PDA and turned SA, DA and OAA all off, and turned Parking Assist off. And still, my passenger and I get jolted by a sudden panic stop as we go down our 20% steep driveway.
Anyone else experiencing this or generally related issues? Anyone maybe discovered a solution(s)?

I am having a devil of a time in disabling the reverse/rear assist braking when I attach my trailer hitch mounted bike rack. I’ve gone through the menus under PDA and turned SA, DA and OAA all off, and turned Parking Assist off. And still, my passenger and I get jolted by a sudden panic stop as we go down our 20% steep driveway.
Anyone else experiencing this or generally related issues?
If you have something installed on the rear hitch, turn on tow/haul mode to disable the rear sensors. You should be able to leave everything else on

I figured this out today. I had the same issue. On the left side of the steering wheel there is a button next to the interior lights. Push it. It kills the 'auto braking'. The truck will still yell at you, but won't slam on the brakes. You can turn off the yelling in the dash settings. I forget the name exactly, I think it's Parking Assist.

I bought an empty hitch plug thinking I would just plug that in when I put on the bike rack. The manual says that would work. It did not. Maybe the 7-pin needs to see current.

I figured this out today. I had the same issue. On the left side of the steering wheel there is a button next to the interior lights. Push it. It kills the 'auto braking'. The truck will still yell at you, but won't slam on the brakes. You can turn off the yelling in the dash settings. I forget the name exactly, I think it's Parking Assist.

I bought an empty hitch plug thinking I would just plug that in when I put on the bike rack. The manual says that would work. It did not. Maybe the 7-pin needs to see current.
Great post! And yeah, I don’t care at this point if all it does is yell at me, lol. Trial run later today, fingers crossed.

If you have something installed on the rear hitch, turn on tow/haul mode to disable the rear sensors. You should be able to leave everything else on
Trial run later today. 🤞

I did this with my Audi when I have a bike carrier attached. I needed to use a 7-pin trailer adapter with a tester (like this one Amazon.com). With this plugged in the car goes into tow mode and the sensors don't go off. I think the tester is enough for the car to see a current.

Curious to hear how it goes for you. I like to leave my bike rack mounted during the non-winter months.
Used the button to the lower left of the steering wheel that turns off the rear park assist braking. And just as previously posted, it still hollers at you but no unexpected panic stopping.

My concern about using a couple of these options is whether the truck thinks it’s actually towing something. I’m not a mechanic or automotive engineer so I don’t know the right words to use but I believe it changes some thing so that truck stays in lower gear for longer thinking it needs more torque to get moving. I know that when I hit the tow/haul mode on my LX570 and Tundra before that, it was almost like a turbo boost and helped with acceleration. Maybe someone can help translate that to “auto-speak”.

If you're asking about "Tow/Haul" mode....

It firms up the shifts....

In overly simplified lay terms: When in normal driving mode the transmission shift curve is long and smooth thus improving fuel milage. as an example (for the haters..... just an example the numbers are made up) shifts into 2nd gear at 1500 RPM, 3rd at 2000 RPM, 4th at 2200 RPM, 5th at 2500 RPM etc...... Highest MPH at the lowest RPM

In Tow Haul mode the transmission doesn't care about fuel mileage, it cares about power/torque (again just an example) it shifts into 2nd at 1600 RPM, 3rd at 2200 RPM, 4th at 3000 RPM, 5th at 3500 RPM, etc

It holds it in a lower gear longer at a higher RPM thus providing maximum power/torque for the amount of work it's doing at a given speed. When loaded and needs plenty of power to maintain a certain speed, it will do it in normal drive mode but will most probably be hunting gears (shifting into a higher gear and on slight incline increase, shift into a back into a lower gear, repeating that process annoying so.... etc) when in tow haul mode, it maintains the lower gear and higher RPMs for longer.

"hunting gears" basically that means the transmission is shifting to find the best RPM to maintain the MPH asked of it by the driver. The 2020 Tacoma has a crapbox transmission and is always looking for a gear even when empty and going up even modest inclines. I sometimes manually lock it into 6th when traveling in hilly highway terrain.

Back