Ham Radio Operators...

carlfs3

๐Ÿ“› Founding Member
May 5, 2024
Vehicles
2020 Toyota Supra GR Launch #1395, 2023 Toyota Tundra Capstone
Greetings everyone. Curious if anyone on the forum is an amateur radio operator and do you plan on installing a radio in your LC?

Mine is enroute, Wind Chill, moving from a Tundra Capstone, always wanted an LC and the pickup phase is somewhat out of me. I haven't installed a radio in a vehicle for 30 years, concerned about all the electronics in the LC, grounding, power, considering a Comet luggage mount, and running the coax either through a passenger door, or the rear hatch. Finally always wanted to install an HF mobile rig, however the antenna situation is too complex. Any thoughts, with my thanks, Carl...

Greetings! The Wind Chill should be awesome.

I'm working on getting my Ham Radio license so I can take it to the road. I know the manual has warnings about interference with the LC electronics but I'm sure it can be done. Looking forward to some experienced operators to chime in.

Greetings! The Wind Chill should be awesome.

I'm working on getting my Ham Radio license so I can take it to the road. I know the manual has warnings about interference with the LC electronics but I'm sure it can be done. Looking forward to some experienced operators to chime in.
PixelMagic:

Thank you, was lucky (at least I believe) to be able to secure the wind Chill with virtually everything I wanted on it allocated, it is in production and should ship by the end of the month.

At any rate, amateur radio is a fantastic hobby! Good luck getting licensed. Huge amount of practice testing on line. I as well, feel there has to be a simple way around all the electronics for a radio install. Our police dept just bought 4 new Chevy Tahoe's, there must be 3 or 4 antennas on the new units, onboard pc, and about 3 different permanent police radios. I may talk to one of the men on who they use to install, etc., and attempt to get some advice...

As well, I hope some operators, even CB jump in here, I do know that a number of FJ owners have radios installed, however the FJ was a more simple set up at least electronics wise.

Iโ€™m an amateur radio operator but am really hesitant to modify the (in my opinion) almost perfect layout and ergonomics of the interior. I picked up our 1958 last week and have been super impressed with just about everything.
Amateur radio is a great hobby. Iโ€™ve been interested in it since I was a teenager.

I am a ham operator as well and am curious as others are as to how well the LC can accommodate a HF antenna.
I run ham on a Tundra and a Jeep Gladiator.
The antenna I run on the Tundra is made by Tarheel and uses the trailer hitch for mounting the antenna.

Can you measure the distance from the top of the hitch straight up to the top edge of the roof of the LC?

Yeah, I will be installing my HAM radio once Toyota Canada decides to wake up.

I am a ham operator as well and am curious as others are as to how well the LC can accommodate a HF antenna.
I run ham on a Tundra and a Jeep Gladiator.
The antenna I run on the Tundra is made by Tarheel and uses the trailer hitch for mounting the antenna.

Can you measure the distance from the top of the hitch straight up to the top edge of the roof of the LC?
52"

With the height of the hitch to the roof, indeed an antenna, if indeed, you run an HF rig in your LC, 52" with some tuning I believe could work, with little interference?

I was contemplating a Comet Roof Rail mount, that lowers if needed for VHF/UHF operations.. Currently I operate an F-400 Yaesu in the shack, which has a detachable head, I believe the FT-300 is still in production, which has a smaller detachable piece, which could be more aesthetically pleasing, and does have digital capabilities..

With the height of the hitch to the roof, indeed an antenna, if indeed, you run an HF rig in your LC, 52" with some tuning I believe could work, with little interference?

I was contemplating a Comet Roof Rail mount, that lowers if needed for VHF/UHF operations.. Currently I operate an F-400 Yaesu in the shack, which has a detachable head, I believe the FT-300 is still in production, which has a smaller detachable piece, which could be more aesthetically pleasing, and does have digital capabilities..
Looking forward to hearing about your build-out!

I plan to mount my antenna on the hood with a lip mount bracket.

Well, I spoke with my dealer yesterday, and the unit allocated for me arrived in port.

I finally saw two in person this past week, stating that there looks to be a bunch of creative ideas in regards to antenna mounting/radio placement. I am going to wait until I (God willing) actually have the LC to decide on what to frankly do.

I am a bit concerned about all of the electronics, grounding/interference etc., as I haven't installed a radio in any vehicle since the very first SUV I had in my avatar, the 1987 4Runner, which was obviously a totally different animal so to speak.

I am talking to a gentleman who installs fire department/police department radios in "new vehicles" for some advice on that matter.

Anyone else with advice, please chime in... Regards, Carl...

Here is my Icom ID-5100 setup in my LCP
IMG_0853.JPEG

IMG_0854.JPEG
IMG_0855.JPEG

Currently running a Tram 5" Mag mount with a COMPACtenna. It's low profile enough that I can get into the garage without hitting. I'd really like to find something that could mount to the roof rack or the hinge on the hatch since there's not really any good lip mount options.

Back