GX550 or LC

I picked up my LC last night. I'm coming from a Tacoma but in sport mode it actually surprised me how quick it is. It has absolutely no problem passing. No way I would describe the drivetrain as "clearly struggles"

I drove a GX first and it nearly caused me to not buy either one. It felt lumbering and laggy and not at all fun to drive. I took it on the highway and never saw the MPG gauge go above 11 mpg. I started shopping for other vehicles and happened to try out the LC just for fun. Responsiveness felt more 'instant' with the hybrid. It felt just as quick and powerful as I wanted. If you're shopping by 0-60 times as a high priority, you shouldn't be looking at this segment.

Im co
I drive a lot of 2 lane highways, passing opportunities can be short, and there are a lot of dawdling tourists and slow drivers. When opportunities to pass present themselves a vehicle that can get with the program is greatly appreciated. The faster a vehicle can accelerate the more opportunities there are to safely make a passing maneuver.

A 0-60 time is a decent enough indicator of acceleration ability, and in this day and age 8+ seconds is glacial. The 50-80 time probably also will suck, and that’s not going to work for me.

The GX550 with its higher continuous power output is clearly significantly more capable of meaningful acceleration. It’s too bad Toyota is choosing to dumb down the Land Cruiser with a Tacoma powertrain that clearly struggles. If this was a $45K 4Runner I could accept it, but this is a $60-$70K premium offering.

If a Lexus dealer were closer this wouldn’t even be a contest.

Toyota should offer the LC with the V35A-FTS/10 speed and E-KDSS. The hybrid seems to not live up to expectations anyway so it is pointless.
have you driven the new Lc? I’m coming from back to back Audis and this car is as quick as both of them. Not as nimble but power not an issue. I’m also averaging about 20-21 mpg at 1200 miles. Have seen many new gxs averaging 14-15, so I’m 50% better - to me that lives up to expectations.

I drive a lot of 2 lane highways, passing opportunities can be short, and there are a lot of dawdling tourists and slow drivers. When opportunities to pass present themselves a vehicle that can get with the program is greatly appreciated. The faster a vehicle can accelerate the more opportunities there are to safely make a passing maneuver.

A 0-60 time is a decent enough indicator of acceleration ability, and in this day and age 8+ seconds is glacial. The 50-80 time probably also will suck, and that’s not going to work for me.

The GX550 with its higher continuous power output is clearly significantly more capable of meaningful acceleration. It’s too bad Toyota is choosing to dumb down the Land Cruiser with a Tacoma powertrain that clearly struggles. If this was a $45K 4Runner I could accept it, but this is a $60-$70K premium offering.

Toyota should offer the LC with the V35A-FTS/10 speed and E-KDSS. The hybrid seems to not live up to expectations anyway so it is pointless.
Nothing about this set up struggles, it is awesome. It is more than enough power to pass on steep grades like nothing and accelerating on ramps and passing normally is nothing for it. It towed up Ike gauntlet like nothing at all with a 5,000 lb. load and two big guys and a cameraman, probably 700 lbs. with gear in TFL review. And it appears to be a great off-road setup too with the instant torque. The 2.4l isn’t taxed at all with the electric motor assisting it and I suspect will last a long time because of it, so long as people take care of regular maintenance, especially regular and high quality oil changes because of the hybrid setup - stop/start and condensation/water dilution.

Last edited:
Strangely, the GX Overtrail omits 3-zone HVAC, and the overhead vents. Probably would not risk the V6 at this juncture. However, do like the suspension, i.e. front and rear disconnect, for serious off-roading.
Great points. Also, you get a 2400 watt inverter with LC. And LC actually flexes better than 550 w/ ekdss.

Similar mindset… I told my wife, if I do this we’ll my 16 month old will drive the LC as her first car!
This seems to be a common theme with those shopping Toyota. The expectation of keeping a car a decade or more. Certainly aligns with my goals for my next car. But not only do people say they’re shopping for a long term car, many here live it as they’re trading in decode old 4R’s & even 2000’s FJs.

This seems to be a common theme with those shopping Toyota. The expectation of keeping a car a decade or more. Certainly aligns with my goals for my next car. But not only do people say they’re shopping for a long term car, many here live it as they’re trading in decode old 4R’s & even 2000’s FJs.
I owned my Audi for 10+ years and dealt with some major headaches. If this car lives up to the Toyota reliability we all know then I can see me owning this until it stops running!

Reactions: MJE
Nothing about this set up struggles, it is awesome. It is more than enough power to pass on steep grades like nothing and accelerating on ramps and passing normally is nothing for it. It towed up Ike gauntlet like nothing at all with a 5,000 lb. load and two big guys and a cameraman, probably 700 lbs. with gear in TFL review. And it appears to be a great off-road setup too with the instant torque. The 2.4l isn’t taxed at all with the electric motor assisting it and I suspect will last a long time because of it, so long as people take care of regular maintenance, especially regular and high quality oil changes because of the hybrid setup - stop/start and condensation/water dilution.

I have jaded standards of “acceptable” performance. I drive a 2007 Tundra with the 5.7L V8, and consider it to be merely adequate and it accelerates harder than a 2024 Land Cruiser according to testing by MotorTrend all those years ago.

Our other vehicle is a 2015 Chevrolet SS (the 4 door rebadged Holden Commodore) with a 6.2L LS3 putting out a claimed 415hp in a car that weighs a bit under 4000lbs. It gets with the program, easily hits triple digits when desired for passing 3-4 slow pokes at a time.

Both the Tundra and the SS do pretty well in the 50-80MPH range, speed limits on our two lanes in SD are 65MPH but everyone drives 70MPH. A passing speed of at least 80MPH is strongly preferred and the quicker the vehicle can get up to speed and perform a pass the better.

It’s too bad Toyota didn’t just give us the 300 Series with the V35A-FTS. I’d have saved up more money and bought one. Alternatively they could have pulled their heads from their butts and put a proper Torsen equipped transfer case in the Sequoia. I could accept the compromised rear cargo and 3rd row, along with marginal visibility if the Sequoia TRD Pro had full time 4WD because the iForceMax and 10 speed were impressive to drive.

I was lucky enough to drive the LC and GX back to back last week. I had previously only driven the GX OT(last month). Initiall impressions on the GX are it mates well with the 10 sp tranny and had adequate off the line torque and more than adequate mid to top end. Very smooth and quiet internal cabin. Very refined suspension over rough road conditions. Overall very impressed. Fast forward to the back to back comparison and I was very pleasantly surprised at the bottom end torque on the LC. It's deceptive how much torque it has off the bottom. The electric motor really boots this thing off the line and my perceptions are that it allows the engine itself to "relax" it bit more. You get the sensation the vehicle is moving out much quicker than the rpm's or engine note signals. Overall ride impressions are the GX OT spec. w/kdss offers significant ride refinement and plusher /controlled feel over rougher conditions. My test drive loop intailed broken asphalt and a few curb drops and step ups. Nothing wrong with the LC but it doesn't measure up to the KDSS in the GX. I'm split on which aspects I like better in each but in the end I've decided to go with the GX Overtrail myself. It's a tough "first world" decision and can't go wrong with either...

I was lucky enough to drive the LC and GX back to back last week. I had previously only driven the GX OT(last month). Initiall impressions on the GX are it mates well with the 10 sp tranny and had adequate off the line torque and more than adequate mid to top end. Very smooth and quiet internal cabin. Very refined suspension over rough road conditions. Overall very impressed. Fast forward to the back to back comparison and I was very pleasantly surprised at the bottom end torque on the LC. It's deceptive how much torque it has off the bottom. The electric motor really boots this thing off the line and my perceptions are that it allows the engine itself to "relax" it bit more. You get the sensation the vehicle is moving out much quicker than the rpm's or engine note signals. Overall ride impressions are the GX OT spec. w/kdss offers significant ride refinement and plusher /controlled feel over rougher conditions. My test drive loop intailed broken asphalt and a few curb drops and step ups. Nothing wrong with the LC but it doesn't measure up to the KDSS in the GX. I'm split on which aspects I like better in each but in the end I've decided to go with the GX Overtrail myself. It's a tough "first world" decision and can't go wrong with either...
Congratulations! One thing I will say, I haven't drove a GX, but tires make a huge difference. It was night and day when I upgraded the tires on my LC in how well it soaked everything up versus the stock tires. Given the GX OT has the custom Toyo Open Country AT I imagine that makes a huge difference compared to the LC on highway tires.

Last edited:
Both are great trucks. We now have 3,700 miles on my wife’s (she claimed it) LC FE and it is great. We live in Vermont and have a summer cottage in what’s called the Northeast Kingdom. Mostly gravel roads which due to excessive rain are a mess. The LC is perfect up there (wish gas mileage was better but traded a MB SL63 AMG so about the same!). I’ve owned a lot of cars, trucks, SUV’s, and so far we love banging around in the LC.

That said, I put a refundable deposit down on a GX550 Overtrail about 8 months ago and the dealer just called to say they have the exact colors I wanted (Nori Green and Chateaux) coming in next month. So, I am going to buy it…. Stay tuned for an objective comparison review.

I find it amazing the obsession nowadays with 0-60 times, and not just referring to the LC. Geesh, it is primarily an off-roading vehicle. Maybe a Rivian? Agree re the optioning, probably not wishing to impact the announced 2025 4Runner.
Exactly! If 0-60 Is the yardstick by which you pass judgment on a Land Cruiser powertrain the the land cruiser is not for you.

It sounds like a land cruiser is not for you. You should realize that This is a global platform and 90+ percent of these are going to be sold with a diesel. That is what they are trying to replicate with the hybrid. Ultra high low end torque is the design need not highway passing power.

Which review is “8+ seconds 0-60” coming from? I see ranges from mid 6.x (Car & Driver and Edmunds) to 7.7 (Motor Trend) but I don’t see anyone testing it above 8 seconds.

I have a deposit down on a GX but I expect I’ll end up in a Land Cruiser. I like the LC ethos a little more and to me the price difference between a LC Premium and a GX Overtrail is for stuff I wouldn’t value much day to day.

I also have a Porsche; I don’t need the LC to be fast. My daily right now is a 2016 Tahoe which at my altitude probably does 0-60 in around 8 seconds. TBH, it’s fine.

I do like the GX colors a little better, I will concede that. Also the Lexus service experience is much better. Distance to each dealer is roughly the same for me.

Last edited:
I have a deposit down on a GX but I expect I’ll end up in a Land Cruiser. I like the LC ethos a little more and to me the price difference between a LC Premium and a GX Overtrail is for stuff I wouldn’t value much day to day.

I also have a Porsche; I don’t need the LC to be fast. My daily right now is a 2016 Tahoe which at my altitude probably does 0-60 in around 8 seconds. TBH, it’s fine.

I do like the GX colors a little better, I will concede that. Also the Lexus service experience is much better. Distance to each dealer is roughly the same for me.
For whatever it’s worth, my wife has a LC First Edition in MS and I just got a GX Overtrail in Nori Green. Really enjoying both trucks but have to say the GX is a great drive and the looks have quickly grown on me. We are each happy with our new rigs!

For whatever it’s worth, my wife has a LC First Edition in MS and I just got a GX Overtrail in Nori Green. Really enjoying both trucks but have to say the GX is a great drive and the looks have quickly grown on me. We are each happy with our new rigs!
Great set up - I have an MS FE and love the nori green overtrail.

I asked my wife if she would be down for the gx but she’s more of a crossover gal (x5, cayenne, etc)

Very Nice. How would you compare cabin noise between the two?

A rating site I saw showed them having about the same dB level, but not clear if the conditions were exact ... e.g. roof rack, tires, road, etc etc (carconfections.com)

Very Nice. How would you compare cabin noise between the two?

A rating site I saw showed them having about the same dB level, but not clear if the conditions were exact ... e.g. roof rack, tires, road, etc etc (carconfections.com)
Very difficult to tell as I like windows open. FE has the roof rack but it doesn't seem noisy and I deleted the GX roof rack because everyone on that Forum complained about noise from it.

Answered a similar question on reddit.

Easy choice for me. I wanted a Land Cruiser (maybe a 300 in a perfect world, but the 250 will do). Not a GX. Yes, I know they are essentially the same. No disrespect, but I'm just not a Lexus guy. I went to see the GX, but it would have taken a lot to sway me from the LC and it just wasn't there. The Land Cruiser name has always and will always carry more weight than the GX.

I think the front end of the Lexus is much worse looking than the Toyota. The GX front end is overstyled and just too much with that ridiculous grill. The Toyota heritage grill is pretty much perfect. Parts of the GX already feel dated while the LC was designed to feel like the past, in a good way. I think it will age better. I have a white LC and there is a white gx550 down the street from me. There is no question as to which one looks better. The Toyota by a mile.

Also prefer the interior of the LC. Physical buttons for the climate stuff instead of them being on the screen which I hate. The GX has slightly nicer materials overall, but I prefer the LC interior. It's cleaner, more logical, and just simpler which I think is better. The dials on the GX are nice though. Our other two cars are Mercedes and in general I don't like the middle ground Lexus usually fights in when it comes to luxury and materials. The GX feels like a half hearted "we HAVE to make this seem more luxurious" rather than something that was designed to be luxurious.

Will say the light bar on the GX looks nice. That's the only thing I might swap if I could, but the LC rear lights have grown on me.

The LC isn't perfect and despite my love for it after 1000 miles, I could easily come up with a long list of changes I personally would make. No real dealbreakers, but I'm just a critical person by nature. With that said, this is the happiest I've ever been with a new car. Hope it stays that way.

Back