Ground Clearance, WTH?

DaChronisseur

📛 Founding Member
Jul 21, 2024
Media
Colorado
Vehicles
LC Premium Heritage Blue
I just measured the ground clearance on the 250 and the front skid sits .75" lower than the rear diff (8.5" vs 9.25"). What gives? Every IFS/live rear axle vehicle I've ever owned before has had higher front ground clearance than rear, which makes sense to me since the front drops when the suspension compresses but the rear diff is relatively static.

I honestly won't even consider off-roading this truck until I can put 1/4" steel skid plates on it to protect the incredibly expensive underbelly. I will also definitely be putting the same 1" rear, 2" front lift that I put on my Tacoma as soon as it's available.

Just seems crazy that Toyota would make a Land Cruiser so low to the ground. Also, plastic is what the oil pan gets for protection. Why put anything at that point?

A little positive rake never hurt anybody’s mpg
For sure, but given that my 4runner, Tacoma, and Frontier all had rake and had their rear diffs as the low point, I have to assume that Toyota could have figured out how to keep rake without making the front end the low point. I mean, when I lift it, it'll still have rake, it'll just be less rake and the entire truck (minus the rear axle) will be higher.

Last edited:
It's a comfy cruiser SUV that can go on moderate rocky fire roads, but not to rock crawl gnarliest of sierras or deepest of the snows, or go drive across Mongolia stock (stock 100 or 200 can't either), 33" tires and 9" clearance can get you quite a few places, it's about proper suspension flex, generous down travel gives you grip off-road when flexed out, you're much better off putting 35" tires on it than some digressive lift kit that will completely ruin your front end articulation off-road, yes it will feel like you clearing more stuff than stock, but in serious obstacle situation you will be all tippy and rigid and ready to roll over especially with 1958 with fixed sway bar.

Here is example of killing your suspension travel with pricy 3" lift (probably great on freeway) kit and getting smoked by stock vehicle with smaller tire size.

For ifs systems, just get bigger tires, and lift maximum 1" with stock control arm with softest possible shock tune to match factory.

Back