Fitting 35s with no rubbing on full compression

surf fishing offroader

๐Ÿ“› Founding Member
Jul 14, 2024
Media
Houston
Vehicles
1958 Land Cruiser
So I thought I'd share my setup and what I did to fit 35s on the 250. There is zero rubbing at all, full compression; and all that was required was trimming on the front

I'm running 35x12.5x17, with Methods on a +25 offset, with westcott preload collars. So just know that anything smaller than this tire size or offset will likely have no rubbing issues from the get go.

1000005432.jpg

For me, I went with the 12.5 wide tires for more float on the sand, but 11.5 is probably what I'd go with if I didn't have to deal with sand. Below is one of the deeper areas, the sand in cooler weather is a bit more packed, in the summer, it's about twice that depth

1000005539.jpg

To fit these tires I had to trim the front slightly, and move the liner forward. Below is what I trimmed off. Very minor. If you go with +35 offset, likely don't have to trim that

1000005537.jpg

Below is the bolt to adjust for the liner. Simply un-screw, then push liner forward, and re-screw it in in that pushed forward position

1000005538.jpg

And now those wondering about rubbing on compression, this is it stuffed in there, up against the bump stop. Got about half inch of clearance remaining

1000005535.jpg

1000005540.jpg

Attachments

• 1000005540.jpg
    1000005540.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
  • 1000005535.jpg
    1000005535.jpg
    295.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Did you have the other tire in the air for the 'fully compressed' shot? Your tire is ~0.5" larger diameter than mine, and my 285/70r18s stuff up inside the top of the wheel well when fully compressed (and would first hit the fender flare with a lesser-offset wheel). My impression is that the front is much more likely to contact first when turned significantly and fully stuffed (still assuming a proper-offset wheel, of course). Not saying your tires rub, just that your image doesn't show whether they would or not (especially since it's the rear).

[EDIT: You didn't mention a lift, is your truck lifted in any way?]

IMG_6694.jpg

Did you have the other tire in the air for the 'fully compressed' shot? Your tire is ~0.5" larger diameter than mine, and my 285/70r18s stuff up inside the top of the wheel well when fully compressed (and would first hit the fender flare with a lesser-offset wheel). My impression is that the front is much more likely to contact first when turned significantly and fully stuffed (still assuming a proper-offset wheel, of course). Not saying your tires rub, just that your image doesn't show whether they would or not (especially since it's the rear).

[EDIT: You didn't mention a lift, is your truck lifted in any way?]

View attachment 15341
I'll try and grab a photo of the bump stop next time. I don't know why they don't stuff up there like smaller diameters, but it's fully up against the bump stop, so it's not going any further...

Got the westcott preload collar installed

Ah. So if your truck is lifted, the whole 'fitting 35" tires" needs to be qualified with the fact that the truck is lifted. Completely different scenario than stock suspension.

Ah. So if your truck is lifted, the whole 'fitting 35" tires" needs to be qualified with the fact that the truck is lifted. Completely different scenario than stock suspension.
Thought that requirement was obvious... but yeah, I'll clarify that, not supposed to be stock suspension

Thought that requirement was obvious... but yeah, I'll clarify that, not supposed to be stock suspension
You said you got the Westcott preload collars in your initial post.
Thanks for posting those details about where to trim. Cool to know.
Your truck looks awesome!

Back