First Roadtrip with my Land Cruiser

KurtW

📛 Founding Member
Oct 9, 2024
Media
WV
Vehicles
Landcruiser LC
I have a Land Cruiser base trim with the premium package. After competing an engine break-in period, I just completed a 1,800 mile roadtrip from WV to NM. Overall I was very pleased with the performance and comfort of the Land Cruiser. I thought I’d share some observations.

The Good

Seat comfort was outstanding! The first day I spent 14 hours behind the wheel. It took a little experimentation to find the right seat adjustments but once I did I really enjoyed the seats. Starting out in the chilly morning the seat warmer, even on it’s lowest setting, provided a nice warmth to my back. Later in the day the ventilation fan kept me from feeling all sweaty. The biggest surprise was the pull out extender on the seat. Extended, it provided just enough additional support for my upper legs to reduce the stress I have felt on other long drives

Similarly, to me the suspension on the Land Cruiser is definitely tuned more for ride comfort than off-road. Driving across multiple states, with multiple different types of pavement, it smoothed out the road more than I expected.

I wasn’t sure what to expect with that 2.4L hybrid but there was plenty of power throughout the speed range. A couple of time I had to accelerate hard to pass idiots and the LC has power to spare. In fact I didn’t even feel how fast I was going until I looked at the HUD and then looked at the gauge to verify I was going that fast (no, I’m not telling you!).

Electronics: I am in love with traffic jam assist! I hit stop and go traffic a couple of time in TN, and boy did TJA make a difference in my comfort. I am not a patient person in stop and go traffic, however with TJA turned on I found I could relax because I wasn’t constantly juggling the brake and accelerator. I also got to know and appreciate the brake hold function, lane change assist, and the various warning sensors. Lastly, Toyota’s navigation system is not as refined as google maps however I love that it displays the navigation information on the HUD. Not having to look away from the road to see where I need to turn is very nice!

HUD: I wasn’t sure if I’d find the HUD useful. After 1,800 miles it is now an almost key feature. I found that I didn’t look away from watching the road, hazards (aka crazy drivers) and just the beauty of our country) as I used to have to do.

At night the front headlights provided plenty of illumination. This is my first vehicle with LED headlights and these are a vast improvement over my previous cars. The digital (camera) rear view mirror took some getting used to, then I found out how useful it was in judging where cars in my rear quarters and came to appreciate it over the “traditional” glass mirror.

Cameras, oh my 😊. The parking assist cameras are great. I almost always back into parking spots so having the different views was night. This morning I pulled front-ways into a parking space and the front camera came on automatically when I got close to the bollard (which I couldn’t see over the hood) so I knew exactly when to stop.

The bad

This thing sucks gas! Yes, I knew buying it that it didn’t have high MPG and a small tank. I planned a stop every 250 miles to gas up, stretch and deal with any other needs. That was a good distance and timing, and will do that on future road trips. I believe I understand, or at least accept, the need for premium gas. But the extra cost hurts. I estimate that I spent about $100 extra on premium gas.

I still haven’t cracked the code on maximizing MPG. On my first day I averaged about 69 mph and by the end of the day was getting about 22mpg. One the second day I averaged 74mph and was getting about 17mpg. I’m guessing MPG goes way down above 70mph but I am not sure yet.

I love the HUD and wish I could have more control over the information displayed. For example, I’d like to see how many miles to the destination or waypoint on my route and gas gauge.

I had a lot of fun experimenting with customizing the multi-information display however in the end I felt that it was lacking in overall customization. I’d love to have little tach, hybrid and turbo gauges in one cluster.

I actually appreciate the nanny camera however it needs some ability to be tuned. Look away for a couple of seconds to grab a water bootle, or bring the bottle up to your mouth to drink and you get a warning. Look away outside and you get a warning! If it wasn’t necessary for some of the other driver assistive technologies that I use I’d disable the darn thing!

From my experience on the road and around town I don’t think Toyota has optimized the hybrid batter/motor enough. Monitoring the hybrid gauge it appears that it only operates under very limited circumstances and for brief periods. I know the battery is small however I’d like to see it used further for low speed driving. For example, when I slowly pull away when the light turns green it starts with the electric motor. Within a few seconds the engine kicks on and takes over. I’d like to see the timing changed so more work is done by the electric motor.

Lastly, why are the fog lights tied into the low beams? I need them more when using high beams and I’d like to be able to use them independently of the headlights.

I suppose some folks will find the cool box useful but for me it is not a “wow” accessory. I’d have much rather had the regular storage compartment. I packed along my small BougeRV refrigerator to hold my drinks and other supplies. I have a small Ecoflow river 2 battery pack which is plugged into the 12volt cigarette plug, with the refrigerator plugged into the battery. Overnight the battery keeps the cooler running (The 256wh river2 will run it for about 1 ½ days straight). In it was able to keep much more than could fit into the cool box.

I hope you find my observations useful. After a two day, 1,800 mile trip, I can say I am very happy with my purchase. She ran beautifully, kept me safe and comfortable

Next for me are new tires. I’m pretty well sold on Geolander A/T G015s however I don’t know if I want to stick with my 20” wheels or get some 17” or 18” wheels and tires.

Interesting thoughts on the HUD. It's an eye-strain exercise whenever I use the one in my wife's car, but that's also 9 years older. Gotta check out the newer implementations, I suppose.

Great write-up and review.

Re fuel economy. Anyone who purchased a new Land Cruiser thinking it would be getting 20-25 mpg on average isn't intelligent enough to get to the point in life to buy a new Land Cruiser. The dry weight of a Land Cruiser is over 5,000lbs. There is not an aerodynamic piece of metal on it. It has a 326 HP engine that pushes it along rather quickly.
Yes. It is going to use some fuel......

Great write-up and review.

Re fuel economy. Anyone who purchased a new Land Cruiser thinking it would be getting 20-25 mpg on average isn't intelligent enough to get to the point in life to buy a new Land Cruiser. The dry weight of a Land Cruiser is over 5,000lbs. There is not an aerodynamic piece of metal on it. It has a 326 HP engine that pushes it along rather quickly.
Yes. It is going to use some fuel......
Thanks for the comments and LOL I agree with your statement about mileage! Especially the aerodynamic part :) That styling is part of it's charm for me.

I knew that going into the purchase and it was never a deal breaker for me. Highway driving will never be where it shines in terms of mpg. I still think the battery motor integration could be improved for city driving.

Back