First Mod I do to a Brand New Car... Cover Door Sill Protectors

Watufaka

📛 Founding Member
Sep 3, 2023
Media
Bay Area
Vehicles
FE Land Cruiser Owner
No matter how careful you are, it will get scratched up real fast. I do this immediately to all my brand new cars, so I don't have to worry about it anymore.

I plan to put a strip on the paint below it too.

Attachments

• 20240911_161544.jpg
    20240911_161544.jpg
    394.8 KB · Views: 244
Hi! What part or piece is this? And where to order from?
Basically covered these including the side foot panel. These are the areas that will get scratched and scuffed easily. Ordered from Amazon.

This stuff is great. Use a hairdryer to make it form fit. I used this stuff all the time.

I'm also putting some on the rear seat floor panel, below the rear AC controllers.

Attachments

• 20240911_173147.jpg
    20240911_173147.jpg
    297.9 KB · Views: 185
  • Screenshot_20240911_173313_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20240911_173313_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 184
You are talking about covering the painted part, correct? Do you have any template measurements? I bought some 3M PPF off Amazon with plans to do the same. I just need to buckle down and get it done.

You are talking about covering the painted part, correct? Do you have any template measurements? I bought some 3M PPF off Amazon with plans to do the same. I just need to buckle down and get it done.
For now just the foot sills, including the surrounding plastic trim near the footwell. This is where it will easily scratch and scuff. I made a template for the Toyota illuminated light. Working on the rear right now but it's getting dark.

The stainless steel look is nice, but not with scratches and scuff marks. Do it now before you need to buy a replacement which is $$$.

The best thing is it has almost the same texture as the plastic trim.

Attachments

• 20240911_183533.jpg
    20240911_183533.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 163
Ok dumb question, how to install this? I have never tried something like this before and it looks like a really great idea especially on sill plates. Advice, tips, pointers will be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance!

Ok dumb question, how to install this? I have never tried something like this before and it looks like a really great idea especially on sill plates. Advice, tips, pointers will be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance!
I'm no expert too. Just learning as I go. Here are my tips since I've done a few cars already. Again, the great thing about this stuff is it matches the interior trim.

• Get enough material. I knew I was going to use the stuff in other areas too so I got the 9"x30' roll.
  • Have a sharp xacto knife and scissors.
  • Use a hair dryer to soften it up so you can stretch the stuff around the edges and corner and use your fingers to flatten them to whatever you are covering. Heat up the edges to as you tuck them in the side moldings.
  • Don't try to cut them up in exact measurements. Just lay on them over with enough space around and cut. If you have bubbles, heat it up and flatten.
  • Trace a template over the Toyota illuminated plate if you have one. Then place it over the material and cut with exacto knife. Then trim around the edges and tuck in.
  • Lastly be careful when you cut with an exact knife that you do not cut any rubber trim around the lower door frame.

You will be surprise on how professional it will start to look. After you do one door you will be an expert on the rest of the doors.

Cool thank you so much! Another mod to add to the list! 🍻

Cool thank you so much! Another mod to add to the list! 🍻
Did the passenger side today. Definitely getting better and faster with the second door sill. Couple more tips. Soften the material before cutting, makes it like cutting butter including the edges to tuck it. I use a plastic trim remover to flatten the edges after heating it up. Work angles and corners first before the flat areas. Lastly, you will need two pieces for the side foot panel. You can overlap, just heat it and it's not noticeable.
Its a fun project and dont take long to do.
20240912_091010.jpg
20240912_093156.jpg
20240912_094932.jpg
20240912_102018.jpg

WOW that looks friggin AWESOME! Definitely adding this to the list!
Thank you so much for the information!

Back