FINALLY HERE!

A 1958 LC reserved for me arrived last week. Beautiful but I was disappointed with it.

I had a short test drive on highway and then back to City streets. The vehicle looked bigger/heavier than I expected given the 4cyl powering it. Granted, it was peppy after the salesman pushed the "sport" mode on dash, but limited after he pushed it back into regular mode. It was a short drive, no off-road runs. I know the hybrid capability gives it some extra hp, but I had second thoughts about this vehicle's ability to meet my needs over the long-term. Finally, if I was going to take it home, I was not excited about the prospect of paying a $5,000 premium over MSRP for the privilege. I asked the manager to waive the extra profit, but he turned me down.

I thought about how excited I was to buy the 1958 LC, the anticipation was palpable. I realized it was the hunt that excited me more than the capture.

I wanted re-live my memories of driving a 1970s FJ-40 with the original straight-6 through California Redwood logging trails 40 years ago. That vehicle was indestructible. I expect no less from a $60,000 to $80,000 successor vehicle. I walked away to give myself more time to consider whether this is really the way to go. An oversized, yet under powered Landcruiser? The excitement of anticipation dissipated with that test drive. Perhaps an older FJ Cruiser instead?

All the best in searching for your perfect ride for 4-wheel drive nirvana adventures...

Attachments

• 20240518_152453.jpg
    20240518_152453.jpg
    292.5 KB · Views: 86
  • 20240518_152550.jpg
    20240518_152550.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 85
  • 20240520_185913.jpg
    20240520_185913.jpg
    322.9 KB · Views: 80
Where did you pick it up that it takes 12 hours to get back home? Mine is in port in NY/NJ and supposed to be delivered by 5/20 but dont have much faith in that date! Thanks.
NJ and I live in GA

A 1958 LC reserved for me arrived last week. Beautiful but I was disappointed with it.

I had a short test drive on highway and then back to City streets. The vehicle looked bigger/heavier than I expected given the 4cyl powering it. Granted, it was peppy after the salesman pushed the "sport" mode on dash, but limited after he pushed it back into regular mode. It was a short drive, no off-road runs. I know the hybrid capability gives it some extra hp, but I had second thoughts about this vehicle's ability to meet my needs over the long-term. Finally, if I was going to take it home, I was not excited about the prospect of paying a $5,000 premium over MSRP for the privilege. I asked the manager to waive the extra profit, but he turned me down.

I thought about how excited I was to buy the 1958 LC, the anticipation was palpable. I realized it was the hunt that excited me more than the capture.

I wanted re-live my memories of driving a 1970s FJ-40 with the original straight-6 through California Redwood logging trails 40 years ago. That vehicle was indestructible. I expect no less from a $60,000 to $80,000 successor vehicle. I walked away to give myself more time to consider whether this is really the way to go. An oversized, yet under powered Landcruiser? The excitement of anticipation dissipated with that test drive. Perhaps an older FJ Cruiser instead?

All the best in searching for your perfect ride for 4-wheel drive nirvana adventures...
Thank you for posting an honest review and your experience in the test drive! Any one of us that have owned a beast that can do it all (for me last generation LC) it’s good to hear everyone’s take on the new edition!

I did the same. Purchased, drove it home in rain for 20 miles, sat for a few days and the 950+ miles.
Currently in VA from WI at a tournament, but definitely want to post my opinions!!

Back