Extended Warranty

Extended warranties have paid for themselves on two of three vehicles I purchased them on. One was $2300 and ended up paying out over 8K, the other was $3500 and ended up paying out 6K. The 3rd one was $1100 and never got used. All repairs were well out of the manufacture's warranty time frame, as I rarely exceed the mileage limitations.

I do plan on purchasing an extended warranty, Toyota's is pricey but with the new model it may be worth it to avoid hassles with after-market justifications.

(edit) Route 66 is an outstanding warranty, and I always used the dealer for repairs. Using the dealer incurs a $75 deductible vs Joe shade tree was free.

Last edited:
Extended warranties have paid for themselves on two of three vehicles I purchased them on. One was $2300 and ended up paying out over 8K, the other was $3500 and ended up paying out 6K. The 3rd one was $1100 and never got used. All repairs were well out of the manufacture's warranty time frame, as I rarely exceed the mileage limitations.

I do plan on purchasing an extended warranty, Toyota's is pricey but with the new model it may be worth it to avoid hassles with after-market justifications.

(edit) Route 66 is an outstanding warranty, and I always used the dealer for repairs. Using the dealer incurs a $75 deductible vs Joe shade tree was free.
Having never purchased an extended warranty, is there an advantage to purchasing it when taking delivery? The vehicle is covered bumper-bumper for three years. At the three-year mark can warranty providers see your vehicle repair history and adjust upwards accordingly? Is an extended warranty transferrable to a new owner?

Having never purchased an extended warranty, is there an advantage to purchasing it when taking delivery? The vehicle is covered bumper-bumper for three years. At the three-year mark can warranty providers see your vehicle repair history and adjust upwards accordingly? Is an extended warranty transferrable to a new owner?
There's is no real advantage of buying on day of delivery, the warranty starts the day of 1st service (1st day sold) regardless if you buy it day one or three years later.

I doubt very seriously if a dealer will take into consideration your service history..... but maybe.

Yes the warranty is transferrable to a new owner.

No idea if its the same in the US as in Canada, but with my 4Runner, the cost of the extended warranty was negotiable.. Mine included service for the length of the warranty purchased and I believe I got it for $500 over the cost of the services. Finance Managers likely wont tell you that right off the start..

Anyone thinking about getting an extended warranty? If so...how much did or are you willing to pay?

I have been looking on-line and it seems there are offers for 10yr 100,00 mile (close to with.. $100.00 deductible ) bumber to bumber warranty at around $2500.00. Now I have never gotten one on a Toyota... Yet... have on several other cars that actually paid for themself and way... more! Given the newness of every freaking component on this LC. I'm thinking it may be worth it? Now... I keep my cars 10yr or more... so that plays a factor for me....

My goal is to tract the cost of different dealers that are charging for an extended warranty from Toyota. Info to be use/shared to bargin for a reduction in cost... if overcharged! we can provide to those dealers using this site....

Trying to save money!!!
It may just be a personal preference of mine at this point, but on new vehicles that I intend on keeping for a long time I started getting the extended warranties. That said I got the hundred K warranty on my Land Cruiser when I went to pick it up a few weeks ago for that extra piece of mind. It paid for itself on my wifeโ€™s vehicle literally right after her mfg warranty expired last year. Hope that helps!

Toyota Financial Services extended warranty is transferable to a new owner (no dealer involved). I waited until last few months of 3 year warranty to purchase an extended warranty.

It may just be a personal preference of mine at this point, but on new vehicles that I intend on keeping for a long time I started getting the extended warranties. That said I got the hundred K warranty on my Land Cruiser when I went to pick it up a few weeks ago for that extra piece of mind. It paid for itself on my wifeโ€™s vehicle literally right after her mfg warranty expired last year. Hope that helps!
How much was your 100,000 mile warrenty ? Is it truly bumper to bumper? Obvious wear items are not included- ex tires

How much was your 100,000 mile warrenty ? Is it truly bumper to bumper? Obvious wear items are not included- ex tires

I paid $1700 when taking delivery vs waiting to add one later just so itโ€™s already there when the time comes. I believe it is normally $3,200 but Iโ€™m fortunate enough to have gotten the โ€œfriends and familyโ€ price which is also a reason I got it now and didnโ€™t wait. I believe it is indeed bumper to bumper and transferable but I have to go glance back at everything to read the details. Tires and wheels have their own coverage but I didnโ€™t get that in this one although itโ€™s been very useful on my wifeโ€™s Denali lol.

The hybrid makes it a bit different ballgame . I know the hybrid portion is extended , but ac and alternator , starters are different now and are into the thousands to replace . That is the part that scares me . I was quoted $2800 for 7 years 90k miles toyota warranty at time of purchase? Havenโ€™t taken it yet

Ther were several posts concerning shopping around for discounted VSAs.

I'm curious if they were 3rd party or TFS.

I have inquires in at two local dealership with no response yet on the TFS warranties.

Why would you buy an extended warranty on a new vehicle now instead of waiting till the end of the factory warranty?

Why would you buy an extended warranty on a new vehicle now instead of waiting till the end of the factory warranty?
I agree, even though I plan on keeping this vehicle for 10+ years, you know what they say.... man plans, god laughs. So why sink the cost now.

It makes no difference when you buy it from TFS, the plan start date is the date the vehicle is 1st sold period. You can buy it day one or 3 years from now, still starts first use date. IMO if you can afford to do it day one, why not.

On my Tacoma I bought it day one and never had any issues with anybody at the dealership concerning anything. Even when the battery went south and technically I should have paid..... free. Oil change, washed and vacuumed every time. Radiator cap started leaking.... free. Issue with a tire not wanting to balance, again new free tire.

So in my case, I'll be purchasing day one or very shortly there after (depending if there's a cheaper TFS deal at another dealer). Buts that's just me.

IMO if you can afford to do it day one, why not.
What I mean by why sink the cost, is although I plan to keep the vehicle, you never know what life brings. So if it doesnโ€™t matter when you buy the warranty in the first 3 years, Iโ€™ll put that money out later when Iโ€™m sure Iโ€™ll still have the vehicle. Also not a big fan of paying anyone 3 years ahead of time, got better uses for that money now.

What I mean by why sink the cost, is although I plan to keep the vehicle, you never know what life brings. So if it doesnโ€™t matter when you buy the warranty in the first 3 years, Iโ€™ll put that money out later when Iโ€™m sure Iโ€™ll still have the vehicle. Also not a big fan of paying anyone 3 years ahead of time, got better uses for that money now.
I get it, why buy something you might not own in three years, better things to do with your money right now etc.....

But for me, it makes sense to purchase early. I own many vehicles, never seem to sell anything, but defiantly, I need to.

Any suggestions on a good dealer to buy an extended warranty from (now or later)? I tried Big Two Toyota in Chandler and basically haven't gotten any response(*see below...). There was another dealer who used to do this years ago but I get no reply when I try to email him, he must have retired.

(* It seems a lot of Toyota dealers, including one of my local ones, are turning their communications over to bots and automation and it's easy to just get stuck in a loop trying to communicate with them. For Chandler I just keep getting an email asking how they should contact me, I answer, then get the same email again. I'm stuck in a similar loop with a local dealer I once asked long if they had any LCs on their lot, and the bot can't answer that question so it just keeps asking me some other question over and over instead of forwarding the question to a human.)

The dealership Iโ€™m getting mines from advertises on their website a lifetime warranty for all new and certified preowned cars sold by them. As long as you keep up with the manufacturer suggested maintenance and keep track of it. You can have it serviced anywhere in the United States.
Which dealer?

If it was anything other than a Toyo, Especially anything Ford, GM or Stellantis then it is a no brainer.. Otherwise, no. But then again, I will probably get rid of this one within a year and get either the new 4Runner or the GX550 Overtrail +

Back