Electric motor maintenance question

berry802

๐Ÿ“› Founding Member
Jul 15, 2024
Media
Owls Head, NY
Vehicles
2024 LC FE
At the bottom of the electric motor housing there seems to be a small oil pan with the ability to drain and refill, does anybody have any insight as what type of fluid/ how often it should be serviced info? The video below mentions it at the 20:50 mark (K0 clutch and electric motor).

It probably does not require maintenance. Electric motors do not need regular maintenance since they have very few moving parts that "rub" into each other and since it is a closed system that does not contaminated with fuel, exhaust, moisture etc, and generates little heat. Even on Rav4 prime with a much stronger electric motor (232 hp), the motor does not need maintenance.

I have an electric fan that is probably more than 60 years old, the motor is runs like new.

The drain pan is probably for the clutch.

It probably does not require maintenance. Electric motors do not need regular maintenance since they have very few moving parts that "rub" into each other and since it is a closed system that does not contaminated with fuel, exhaust, moisture etc, and generates little heat. Even on Rav4 prime with a much stronger electric motor (232 hp), the motor does not need maintenance.

I have an electric fan that is probably more than 60 years old, the motor is runs like new.

The drain pan is probably for the clutch.
I think your correct, the fluid would more than likely be for the clutch. The next time I'm at the dealer I'll be interested in what the tech has to say.

Circling back- Had a discussion with a Toyota tech at the dealership (certified for the LC250, I guess not all go through the training) he did confirm the fluid is the same as the transmission, World Standard (WS) although he was not sure how often or the procedure in which it should be done without doing some research as he has never done a service on one yet.

Back