Does Anyone Use the Brake Hold Button?

Haven’t tried it yet. There’s something in my monkey brain that says no no no brake is on don’t press that pedal - even though I know it was designed that way.

I use it in the drive thru.
This. In this and similar situations, I turn it on. Crawling in traffic however, I'd rather have the quicker and more nuanced response of just releasing the brake pedal to move.

I just started using this feature, having disabled/ignored it from every car we've had since 2017. There is a use case for it, I'm sure of it, but will take a minute to fully integrate into my driving.

My most frequently used feature in city driving. I have also used it when stopped by highway construction flaggers, and even used it recently when paused on a rural drive to watch the birds.

I find I don't use it much in highway traffic, because with adaptive cruise the car will stop and hold itself anyway. I did find the brake hold useful this past weekend when I was queuing on a steep hill. Switching back and forth from park to drive while on an incline feels a little rough on the transmission.

I use it in traffic regularly. My BMW had it as an all the time function which was nice. On the LC you have to turn it on each time. I get it was created for rock crawling etc., but I use it for traffic jams.

I use Brake Hold nearly every time I drive. It's not necessary when I drive on the highway, but sometimes you run into traffic and it's perfect for stop and go.

I occasionally used this function in my E63S wagon, although you set the brake hold on a case by case basis by firmly depressing the brake pedal once the vehicle was stopped. Now that I read this thread over the weekend, I’ve started using it in my Land Cruiser in downtown traffic and when starting and stopping on steep hills in traffic. Frankly it’s more useful than what I remembered.

I do use it for city driving and when stuck in traffic (and drive-thru’s), but I’ve noticed on mine that it doesn’t always hold at the initial stop. I’ve had the truck keep moving after I thought it would have engaged. Let me tell you when you’re thinking you’re stopped, paying attention to something else, and your front impact warning starts going off, it’s a panic moment! Anyway, just make sure the hold light comes on before letting off the brake, I guess is my PSA.

Back