Diesel/Petol

alain.mlmn

๐Ÿ“› Founding Member
Jan 18, 2024
Bredene
Vehicles
Peugeot 3008 1.2
Hi LC-Lovers,
My Land Cruiser 250 arrives in August and it will be my first diesel. What is the difference between driving a petrol car and a diesel car? What do I need to know?
Tnx so much...

In the distant past, did own a Toyota diesel (and several diesel Fords). No big difference, I think. In the past the caution was not to apply full load until at operating temperatures, which is still good advice, and to give the turbo a couple of minutes to spool down before shutting down, but allegedly that is not true with the modern turbos. However, I would.

Is there a problem if you drive short distances?
In my opinion, obviously not the best practice, as engines tend to accumulate sludge with repeated very short trips. I would do more frequent oil changes than the minimum recommended by Toyota. Luckily it is a diesel, so no catalytic converter to worry about, as they tend to clog with short distances. Disclaimer, not a mechanic, but have maintained a lot of vehicles over my 65 years or so as a driver and 2+ million miles.

Hi LC-Lovers,
My Land Cruiser 250 arrives in August and it will be my first diesel. What is the difference between driving a petrol car and a diesel car? What do I need to know?
Tnx so much...
Congratulations man! Switching to a diesel vehicle like the LC 250 brings a few differences compared to petrol cars. Diesels typically offer more low end torque, making them great for towing and off road adventures. You'll notice a different sound and feel while driving due to diesel engines' unique combustion process. You should also keep in mind that diesel fuel tends to have better mileage but can be a bit pricier. Enjoy the new experience, it's a fantastic choice for durability and power!

Yes, in the United States. Some other countries are fortunate to have the diesel.
Toyota has chosen not to mess with the EPA and other alphabet agencies to certify a diesel in the U.S. Not worth the hassle. Toyota does just fine.

Back