Dash cam

kildair

📛 Founding Member
Jul 13, 2024
Media
dubai
Vehicles
prado 250 glx
My LC250 GCC specs same with reverse camera.
Anyone know if and how to fit dash cam.
I had one that was supplied by lighter plug but don’t have one of these in the front of my car (one in rear) and I am keen to avoid lots of wires
Thanks

Yes. Unfortunately mine did not have an option on my car
I would say that is fortunate, imo factory dashcam is an afterthought on the part of toyota. Not sure if you can get Viofo where you live but they are worth checking out. With any brand I would make sure the DC has a capacitor and not a battery. I would also lean towards models that have the newer starvis 2 sensor.

I would say that is fortunate, imo factory dashcam is an afterthought on the part of toyota.
Agreed. The Toyota-installed OEM dash cam is a lawsuit waiting to happen. Since it's mounted right at eye-level, it obstructs the view enough where pedestrians, stop signs and other items cannot be seen by the driver.

Dash cam Land Cruiser.jpg

So, whatever dash cam you end up installing, I would highly recommend that you install it on the passenger side of the rear-view mirror.

Thank you. Good to know. Have a dashcam but needs cigarette lighter which I only have in back so I think I will need to get a new one

Have a dashcam but needs cigarette lighter which I only have in back
If you're planning to install your aftermarket dash cam next to your rear-view mirror (preferably on the passenger side), there is already a 12 Volt DC harness inside of the mirror's backside enclosure. The cover for this enclosure (which sits up against the windshield) snaps off with a little bit of careful coaxing.

That 12VDC harness has been placed there to accommodate a Toyota dash cam in the event of someone purchasing a factory dash cam as an option. And, there shouldn't be any reason why that same power source couldn't be used to power a 12V aftermarket dash cam.

That power harness (photo below) has three wires that provide:
Red = Constant 12 Volt
Black = Switched Ignition 12 Volt
White = Ground

If you happen to have a volt-ohm meter, it wouldn't hurt to verify the status of each of the above three wires prior to installation.

Dash cam 12V harness.JPG

Back