TrailWhale

📛 Founding Member
🏆 LC of the Month
Apr 25, 2024
Media
Idaho
Vehicles
2024 Land Cruiser "Land Cruiser"
I'm thinking about doing some longer backcountry routes and given our tiny tanks and mediocre gas mileage, carrying some extra fuel seems like a Good Idea™️.

Figured this would be an interesting thread for folks to share their exterior (or interior?) gas can mounting ideas, etc. Whether it's a basic scrappy idea, or a fancy over the top overlanding kit. Let's see it!

I'm thinking about doing some longer backcountry routes and given our tiny tanks and mediocre gas mileage, carrying some extra fuel seems like a Good Idea™️.

Figured this would be an interesting thread for folks to share their exterior (or interior?) gas can mounting ideas, etc. Whether it's a basic scrappy idea, or a fancy over the top overlanding kit. Let's see it!
I am going to be installing the Westcott Designs roof rack + their rear-window molle panels for this very mission. I go on an annual fly-fishing trip that requires an hour and half of transit up unimproved mountain roads and then daily fishing excursions so having the Rotopax cans on each side will effectively give me another 50% of range, which should allow me to comfortably return to civilization.

2024 Toyota Land Cruiser Full Length Modular Roof Rack - by WD (westcottdesigns.net)

2024 Toyota Land Cruiser Molle Panels - by Westcott Designs

You could fabricate a hitch mount jerry can holder pretty easily. (not my rig)

1722023066532.png

A few ideas I've had:

1. Add the "cargo add-on" to my 1Up rack - Cargo Add-On and strap a couple cans on there.
1.1_Cargo_Add-On_-_Silver_-_Display_P__13557.jpg

2. Yakima t-slot rotopax mount on roof crossbars - RotopaX™ Mounting Kit - although a little sketchy IMO to mount tanks on their side and might be a fair bit of weight for a single attachment point?

Screenshot 2024-07-26 at 1.56.42 PM.png

A few ideas I've had:

* Add the "cargo add-on" to my 1Up rack - Cargo Add-On and strap a couple cans on there.

* Yakima t-slot rotopax mount on roof crossbars - RotopaX™ Mounting Kit - although a little sketchy IMO to mount tanks on their side and might be a fair bit of weight for a single attachment point?
Rotopak are nice but way too much for a plastic container IMO. I have used them and they are secure, but glad I wasn't the one who had to buy them (work related).

Does anyone know of rear window panels that can have a universal mount? i.e. something that could attach to any generic roof rail? I'm not 100% on doing a wholesale roof rack replacement with a full length rack just yet, but I do think those rear window panels would make for a great spot to attach some fuel on longer adventures.

Back