Awesome mountain driving until....

Don

📛 Founding Member
Jul 27, 2024
Media
Chicago
Vehicles
LC250
...... the hybrid battery is full. Then its at 6000 lb brick with a four banger for engine braking.

Using cruise control on downhills the vehicle beautifully manages regen and then gears to keep speeds precise. On uphills it uses the electric motor extensively to "make space" in the hybrid battery. But once the battery is full the cruise control rides the brakes to an extent that makes me uncomfortable. So I switch to manual which allows rpms to about 4000 max.

The battery gauge shows when the downhill vehicle control will degrade.

I wondered why the vehicle shows the brake lights on the dash, but now I know. There's really no way to differentiate the feeling between regen and mechanical brakes without the lights.

...... the hybrid battery is full. Then its at 6000 lb brick with a four banger for engine braking.

Using cruise control on downhills the vehicle beautifully manages regen and then gears to keep speeds precise. On uphills it uses the electric motor extensively to "make space" in the hybrid battery. But once the battery is full the cruise control rides the brakes to an extent that makes me uncomfortable. So I switch to manual which allows rpms to about 4000 max.

The battery gauge shows when the downhill vehicle control will degrade.

I wondered why the vehicle shows the brake lights on the dash, but now I know. There's really no way to differentiate the feeling between regen and mechanical brakes without the lights.
Have you tried tow/haul mode? On steep downhills at highway speeds and light load I’ve used tow/haul and it adapts about as good as my hybrid F150, which will do everything heavily loaded, towing, empty etc. Conversely you can turn off tow/haul mode while towing if conditions allow it and get higher MPG.

Back