Auxiliary heat

KyLandcruiser

📛 Founding Member
Jun 14, 2024
Media
kentucky
Vehicles
99 landcruiser, 19 4Runner
I wonder if these LC have auxiliary heat for when engine isn’t warm enough to provide heat. I had a 19 4Runner and it had auxiliary heat called a PTC heater. The PTC relay spot on these is empty.

Hmmm, I aways thought a PTC heater, a resistance heater, was primarily applicable to EV's, not IC or hybrid vehicles. However, it is my understanding with the LC, and other hybrid vehicles, one can leave the ignition on, and the engine will start/stop as necessary to warm the vehicle. This is the way it functions with our Highlander hybrid. Of course I suppose Toyota could incorporate a PTC heater into the LC if they wished, but it might drain the relatively smaller (than an EV) battery fairly rapidly.

On the 4Runner the PTC was only used when engine wasn’t at operating temp. When the vehicle was warmed up the PTC turned off. If the T24A warms up quick then a PTC won’t be needed. The 4Runner engine wasn’t quick at reaching operating temp in the winter.

My guess, for what it is worth, the engines are becoming "thin-skinned" compared to the past, i.e. not as much metal/mass to heat up to operating temperature. Nowadays, many have electric water pumps, so zero circulation when warming up the engine. However, and not sure about this until we receive our LC, I think the LC has a traditional belt-driven water pump, which may force a bit of coolant past the thermostat, even when cold.

The T24A doesn’t have a traditional thermostat. It uses some type of recirculating valve to help with warm up. I’ve noticed on mine the engine does warm up fairly quickly. The water pump is indeed belt driven. This is the only belt driven accessory on the engine.

What’s the problem with a belt driven water pump?
Well, belts do last a long time, but still a failure point. As long as it utilizes a tensioner, and not a stretch belt. On the positive side, a traditional water pump is most likely less expensive than electric.

This is disappointing. Would sure like to know the logic behind this decision.
Mnimum load, probably. With the exotic transmission/generator the engineers certainly didn't leave it belt driven for tradition. The drive train is a very cool design. Hope its trouble free

Back