AUX switches?

Garmin has a switch box that is compatible with CarPlay now. Probably a good clean option for the LC given the limited real estate. Probably what I’ll do if/when I add any accessories.

Ooohh.....while it is expensive, I do really like the thought of using CarPlay to control stuff. However, that may also pose some cons in that you'd have to have the car on and phone connected in order to turn something on. Hmmmm.....tradeoffs.

Ooohh.....while it is expensive, I do really like the thought of using CarPlay to control stuff. However, that may also pose some cons in that you'd have to have the car on and phone connected in order to turn something on. Hmmmm.....tradeoffs.
On second thought, I guess you don't necessarily need to have the truck on and CarPlay set up since it's running on an app on the phone. I guess as long as power is driven from an Accessory power source (via relay), you could stand outside the truck with your phone and turn the light bar on or whatever. That could be handy with a compressor as well.

How long have these been out? Any data on durability?

On second thought, I guess you don't necessarily need to have the truck on and CarPlay set up since it's running on an app on the phone. I guess as long as power is driven from an Accessory power source (via relay), you could stand outside the truck with your phone and turn the light bar on or whatever. That could be handy with a compressor as well.

How long have these been out? Any data on durability?
Just came across them, so no idea on durability. Garmin is pretty solid though and I’ve never had issues with my other Garmin products 👍🏼

Just came across them, so no idea on durability. Garmin is pretty solid though and I’ve never had issues with my other Garmin products 👍🏼
Yeah, I have had an InReach Mini for several years and it seems pretty solid.

Are you looking for this? The switches are exactly the same as the Tacoma's

This is totally wireless. Push a button and it sends a signal to the trigger unit under the hood. I’m not sure if it’s Bluetooth or Wi-Fi. You don’t even have to use these switches. You could just use the app on your phone.

It comes with a little magnetic plate. I use double-sided tape and mounted the magnetic plate to my dash in my 4runner and just slap this switch back onto it.
Someone commented on the image of this solution (versus the thread) and I had to do a deeper dive. I didn't realize the switch controller is battery-poweredand not hardwired into the truck's power. So, there is potentially definitely going to be times when I haven't charged the battery and I need it. That is a definite non-starter, at least, it is for me.

Someone commented on the image of this solution (versus the thread) and I had to do a deeper dive. I didn't realize the switch controller is battery-poweredand not hardwired into the truck's power. So, there is potentially definitely going to be times when I haven't charged the battery and I need it. That is a definite non-starter, at least, it is for me.
From the Trigger website: For replacement cells please purchase CR2025 for the 4 Plus controller, CR2032 for the 6 Shooter controller…these are readily available at most brick-and-mortar and online shops.

Just carry a spare coin cell.

Also, you can use the app on the phone, android or iOS. The app has added functionality.

Back