Apple CarPlay is Garbage- Did we get the Beta version?

I had this problem on a long trip, 1700 miles in 2 days type trip. What I found out with my iPhone Xr is:
  • Hard connected or not didn’t have an effect, didn’t matter
  • The phone did get pretty hot, it was warm
  • Where I placed the phone did seem to matter, in the hard console or on the seat.
  • Shutting down the car and back on didn’t make a difference
  • Shutting down the phone and back on again worked EVERY TIME, I think it might have been a phone issue. I did it this while driving on the highway and the phone always reconnected.
Not saying the integration is not the problem, just what worked for me. Upgraded to an iPhone 15 since my Xr was pretty old and not a great battery.

Last edited:
I finally took mine in to have the tech look at why CarPlay refused to function correctly. It seems they are well aware of this issue. I was told at the dealer and to “be patient and await an update.” To be frank Toyotas Apple Car play software is total garbage. It has more glitches than features and doesn’t connect more than half the time. It recently totally packed up on me on a 4 hour trip and I drove on in silence. Well not total silence, just wind noise from the mirrors. The software code must be riddled with errors as it never behaves the same way twice. Google maps audio drops, then it’s back. Amazon Music freezes completely then it says search unavailable. iPhone randomly disables itself as CarPlay device, then readable all by itself. Don’t get me started on Siri…

Anyone have any ideas on a solution ?

Not that this helps you but i havent had any issues other than the iphone not connecting automatically if i remote start. I wonder if you have a bad head unit?

Edit: i have an iPhone 15 pro (new hardware & software)

Last edited:
I had this problem on a long trip, 1700 miles in 2 days type trip. What I found out with my iPhone Xr is:
  • Hard connected or not didn’t have an effect, didn’t matter
  • The phone did get pretty hot, it was warm
  • Where I placed the phone did seem to matter, in the hard console or on the seat.
  • Shutting down the car and back on didn’t make a difference
  • Shutting down the phone and back on again worked EVERY TIME, I think it might have been a phone issue. I did it this while driving on the highway and the phone always reconnected.
Not saying the integration is not the problem, just what worked for me. Upgraded to an iPhone 15 since my Xr was pretty old and not a great battery.
I’ve often wondered if it was an iOS issue. Maybe we should be talking to Apple Support, instead of bitching about it here. (?)

I’ve often wondered if it was an iOS issue. Maybe we should be talking to Apple Support, instead of bitching about it here. (?)
Re-starting the phone may be the short term solution for some, worked for me. Maybe the phone was sensing overheating and shut down services.

I have had no problems at all with an iphone 16 pro during a 4500 mile trip that ran maps constantly.

Apple maps/ Siri is still garbage, however. But no carplay problems. OP likely needs a new phone.

I do run wired carplay when using starlink. However I have many wireless hours too. Wired is probably easier on the battery during all day drives as the phone doesn't cook on wireless chargier for many hours.

iphone 16 pro max.

Last edited:
More frustration today with CarPlay. It connects, but won't let me actually do anything because it thinks a phone call is in progress. Happened multiple times today :( I tried it both wired and wireless and have experienced this issue both ways.
I've had this happen too. I mentioned it to the service advisor and he said there are usually some CarPlay issues with new vehicles.

I wrote an email to the brand engagement folks at Toyota and got a form letter in response. I knew that was going to happen, but I wanted to get it on the record.

I think if you're having this issue too, you should write to them, and mention it to your local service department.

Not that this helps you but i havent had any issues other than the iphone not connecting automatically if i remote start. I wonder if you have a bad head unit?

Edit: i have an iPhone 15 pro (new hardware & software)

I have 15 Pro as well.

In the last six months, I’ve rented a Porsche, a Mercedes and a Jeep and got a a loaner Lexus. All 4 of them worked exactly as advertised with wireless CarPlay. Paired immediately upon starting and stayed paired throughout the trip. All exact phone and exact iOS that seems to give the Land Cruiser OS fits.

In the last six months, I’ve rented a Porsche, a Mercedes and a Jeep and got a a loaner Lexus. All 4 of them worked exactly as advertised with wireless CarPlay. Paired immediately upon starting and stayed paired throughout the trip. All exact phone and exact iOS that seems to give the Land Cruiser OS fits.
Agree, using my old iphone XR CarPlay in my wife's German car was never a problem. The 250 does have issues with that integration..

I had issues with both the 15 and 16 pro phones with the lates IOS. It doesn't always connect on entry. I have to manually do it and toggle the CarPlay on.

The bad head unit is certainly a possibility. I had no problems with my 13 pro prior to getting the iphone 16.

While its probably been discussed up thread, if I was having problems I would turn of Limit IP Tracking for the connection to vehicle wifi. I would also download the digital key in the Toyota app. Having the digital key seems to keep the Toyota servers happier.

Also, the best channel for this sort of problem is the Toyota help line, not the dealer service rep.

Last edited:
Back