Anyone considering the 2024 Tacoma?

I think the 4Runner will be assembled in Mexico similar to Tacoma ( no longer in Japan) and similar to Tacoma if to use t fulll time awd will have to get the limited hybrid option . Likely the lc250 will cost quite a bit more than this trim .

Does anyone else know more details of where 4 runner will be made in future ?
It will be built in Japan. The Mexico plants are bursting at the seams as is now that Texas plant isn’t building Tacoma. The LC250 is going to steal some sales from 4Runner. Maybe combined they are looking at 160k units which is in the ballpark of what Toyota can build in Japan for 4Runner currently. Just makes sense to put the 4Runner, LC250, and GX all in Japan for now.

As far as full time 4WD, right now you have to get the Limited to get the center differential. So I expect that this will carry over to the 6th gen. Just another item to create a gap between 4Runner and LC250.

JMO, as a former Subaru nut and current 4Runner owner, Outback and Ascent aren’t really even close at all to a Land Cruiser. They are going to do very different things well. Outback has big ground clearance but it has little suspension travel and relies on braking for any traction once that tire comes off the ground. The CVT is an albatross around one’s neck for long term durability, too. Hopefully they get the 2 motor style eCVT when they go hybrid. The Land Cruiser is going to be substantially more durable if you are actually taking it off road. It is also going to cost a LOT more money for the same feature set. I’d really think about how you are using the vehicle to narrow down to a segment versus comparing the cars straight up.

Last edited:
Holy smokes! That's...an impact!! I love my V6 subie, it's not on deathdoor yet, I have time. It's the value for the buck scenario. The price of the LC with the bells that I want will be the first hurdle, driving it will be the 2nd. Sounds like there are quite a few hybrid models hitting the 2025 model year for consideration.
Do you have a V6 Subaru ? Are you sure ?

Anyhow Landcruiser is a different breed. Simply because it has some extra offroad features by default. Body on frame, rigid axle, rear suspension, differential locks (center and rear), low gear. Some other features are coming on the upper trims.... e.g. SDM

Not really interested in the Tacoma as I really like having a covered cargo area and my bikes go on a rack on the hitch anyway. Plus, I can sleep in an SUV really well while a 5' bed is going to be a difficult fit. The Tacoma promises to be a lot like the next 4Runner, though, so worth watching to see how the 6th gen 4Runner will be. I'm really down to the '25 4Runner and the Land Cruiser. I currently have a '23 4Runner that is on a 2 year lease through work. Great vehicle, but this is my 3rd 4Runner with the 1GR and I'm ready for some turbo torque. I'm about 75% certain I want the hybrid, so that leaves the Land Cruiser and various 4Runner trims. Luckily I have until next year to figure it out.
That's the only reason I'm really looking at the Tacoma now as well - it just happens to be the first one out that'll be sharing at least a driveline with the 4Runner and Land Cruiser.

Not really related to what you're mentioning but I know people are currently up-in-arms regarding how quickly the Tacoma swells to mid-$50k for a kitted-out TRD Off-Road but I don't think Toyota has had as significant improvements or updating from gen-to-gen as they've had w/ this new Tacoma. It looks to be a significant jump and dealt w/ most of my prior issues w/ the Tacoma (fully boxed frame w/ reinforcements while addressing the corrosion issue, new transmission, larger Tundra rear end, 4 wheel discs, coil rear suspension, sway bar disconnect option, larger cv half-shafts, and the utility of a Hybrid is just icing on the cake, IMO). I know folks say "why get a Tacoma when you could just get the 1958 Land Cruiser at $55k?" The issue is that the Tacoma, taking options into account, is more equivalent to the Land Cruiser Mid-Trim (prob ~$60k comparison) at that point (bigger piggy-back shocks, sway bar disconnect, heated/ventilated seats, moonroof, 14" screen, 360 multi terrain monitor camera, etc, etc which the 1958 does not have). I think an argument could be made that Toyota may be on a trajectory of going too far w/ their Mid-Size trucks (Tacoma & 4Runner). It's no longer a "economy mid-size truck" with all the mechanical upgrades and tech that's been put into it for this next generation. Don't get me wrong, I'll take the upgrades but it's a value proposition. If one's looking at just numbers, like some of the youtubers I've seen, they're not getting the whole picture. I think the pricing on these is reasonable considering what you get but I would certainly take some less tech/creature comfort features and I'd take the buffed mechanicals and driveline for a reduced MSRP. Using Tacoma as an example, what Toyota has been doing is getting me pretty hyped to see the new 4Runner and mid-trim Land Cruiser. I do fear the Land Cruiser is probably going to price me out but if a case can be made of mechanicals superior to the 4Runner (the center differential being the current obvious difference), that may move me firmly into Land Cruiser.

Last edited:
Which one is the mid-trim LC ? Because the Landcruiser trim is way above a mid level. There are not many features you can add. First Edition is more about image and cosmetics in my opinion. I will definitely go for the base trim with some package if available. I always buy the car, not the gadgets.
LC is a durable and reliable off-roader. "Keep it simple" is the best rule.
But of course people driving 99% on the highway and selling the car after 5 years will care more about ventilated leather seats, JBL system and colour.

Which one is the mid-trim LC ? Because the Landcruiser trim is way above a mid level. There are not many features you can add. First Edition is more about image and cosmetics in my opinion. I will definitely go for the base trim with some package if available. I always buy the car, not the gadgets.
But of course people driving 99% on the highway and selling the car after 5 years will care more about ventilated leather seats, JBL system and colour.
Base is 1958, mid is LC Grade, upper is LC Premium package. First edition is based on the LC premium package. Since it is limited production and not available the entire model year, I kinda set it off to the side.

Yeah, I'm only using "mid" trim as a handle for the trim between the 1958 and First Edition. Also, I don't think "keep it simple" would really apply to any current land cruiser outside of the 70 series nowadays with the hybrid, internal systems, and current driving aids. I see what you're saying when differentiating the trims but I don't think it's that black and white. Maybe "keep it slightly less cutting edge and extremely complicated" would be a better term? We're way past the "keep it simple" mantra though I would assume the next SR/SR5 4Runner would be comparable in regards to durability while doing simple even better but of course we'll have to hear all about the folks panning the turbo 4 in favor of the old reliability of the 4.0 v6 but I digress. You're probably not looking at 4Runner though so the 1958 would likely fit best for you considering the comment. I suppose I just consider all the trims very gadgeted.

This is the confirmation that the hybrid system (iForce MAX) is meant for extra power, not for efficiency.
The estimated MPG is the same for hybrid and non-hybrid 2.4T. The engine will turn off during coasting only.... and maybe at very low speeds of 5-10mph....

This is the confirmation that the hybrid system (iForce MAX) is meant for extra power, not for efficiency.
The estimated MPG is the same for hybrid and non-hybrid 2.4T. The engine will turn off during coasting only.... and maybe at very low speeds of 5-10mph....
It still says “coming soon” for the hybrid mpg when I click on it.

1703895050833.jpeg
you're right..... it says "available i-Force MAX".

Bumping this older thread...

Had a deposit on a 24' Limited Taco and recently test drove an SR5 trim. I wasn't disappointed exactly, but felt "wanting more" from it. I guess I'm used to SUVs now that any truck drive is not going to be as good as an SUV?? Limited trim should be better though. I have owned/leased a couple Pilots, 1st gen Tundra, RAV4s, and now own 3 CRVs (have 2 college grown kids living at home and newest CRV is my wife's main vehicle) so I'm left with "sharing the 3",... hence why looking at either a Taco, and now just switched my deposit to the LC instead. Not giving up on Taco but the LC or the 6G 4Runner would likely be a better fit for my wants/needs. Gonna be fun choosing!

Bumping this older thread...

Had a deposit on a 24' Limited Taco and recently test drove an SR5 trim. I wasn't disappointed exactly, but felt "wanting more" from it. I guess I'm used to SUVs now that any truck drive is not going to be as good as an SUV?? Limited trim should be better though. I have owned/leased a couple Pilots, 1st gen Tundra, RAV4s, and now own 3 CRVs (have 2 college grown kids living at home and newest CRV is my wife's main vehicle) so I'm left with "sharing the 3",... hence why looking at either a Taco, and now just switched my deposit to the LC instead. Not giving up on Taco but the LC or the 6G 4Runner would likely be a better fit for my wants/needs. Gonna be fun choosing!
Yes, a Tacoma seriously crossed my mind also. However, in my opinion a BIG plus for the LC (and GX550) is they are made in Japan. Over on the Tacoma forum there are already reports of issues, and they are just barely getting out the door.

Back