4Runner delayed due to shared parts shortage

Markarian421

📛 Founding Member
Mar 8, 2024
Media
SFBay CA
Vehicles
2014 FJ Cruiser, 2023 Volvo S60 T8
It seems like we're using up all the parts.

Toyota Pushes Back US Launch of Popular SUV on Shortage of Parts

Toyota Motor Corp. is delaying the launch of an updated version of a popular mid-size SUV in the US market due to supply constraints on key parts shared with other vehicles.

The Japanese automaker had planned to start US deliveries of its latest 4Runner SUV this fall, but now doesn’t expect to begin shipping them until December or early next year, a company spokesman said Wednesday.

The 4Runner has long been one of Toyota’s best-sellers in North America and the highly-anticipated sixth generation of the vehicle was expected to provide an extra boost to the brand’s sales this year. But many of the Japan-built SUV’s key components are shared with sibling models such as the retooled Lexus GX and all-new Land Cruiser, which also are in high demand. That has depleted Toyota’s pooled parts bin, forcing the delay, the spokesman said.

Toyota sold 66,550 4Runners in the US in the first half of 2024, which was up from 50,736 a year ago.

I bet some of those 4R deposits are shifting towards us LCs.

Well they are still not giving much details. Maybe all the QC holds are catching up with them OR demand is actually outstripping supply (for some reason) OR maybe there's issues with key parts and they are redesigning them??

It seems like we're using up all the parts.

Toyota Motor Corp. is delaying the launch of an updated version of a popular mid-size SUV in the US market due to supply constraints on key parts shared with other vehicles.

The Japanese automaker had planned to start US deliveries of its latest 4Runner SUV this fall, but now doesn’t expect to begin shipping them until December or early next year, a company spokesman said Wednesday.

The 4Runner has long been one of Toyota’s best-sellers in North America and the highly-anticipated sixth generation of the vehicle was expected to provide an extra boost to the brand’s sales this year. But many of the Japan-built SUV’s key components are shared with sibling models such as the retooled Lexus GX and all-new Land Cruiser, which also are in high demand. That has depleted Toyota’s pooled parts bin, forcing the delay, the spokesman said.

Toyota sold 66,550 4Runners in the US in the first half of 2024, which was up from 50,736 a year ago.
And yet they want us to believe the headlights are different wire harnesses.. ok …

And yet they want us to believe the headlights are different wire harnesses.. ok …
Seems it came directly from Toyota that the headlight assemblies would be easily interchangeable? Not so?

This is VERY good news. Toyota is doing the right thing. Now we need to know the criteria to have the engine replaced.

This is VERY good news. Toyota is doing the right thing. Now we need to know the criteria to have the engine replaced.
You should read that thread. I'd guess they'll start with failures first, and progress through the higher-miles units, end with the hybrids. Pretty sure they're expecting most to fail, with a current mean at ~30k miles. May even affect most or all 2024 deliveries.

They should have some extra parts lying around next year!

You should read that thread. I'd guess they'll start with failures first, and progress through the higher-miles units, end with the hybrids. Pretty sure they're expecting most to fail, with a current mean at ~30k miles. May even affect most or all 2024 deliveries.

They should have some extra parts lying around next year!
I did not have the time to read all the posts, but thank you...

Makes sense the 4Runner is delayed if they need to produce 98k new engines.

A big shake up is going to happen at that Alabama factory…

Last edited:
Makes sense the 4Runner is delayed if they need to produce 98k new engines.

A big shake up is going to happen at that Alabama factory…
Thought 4Rs are Japan built?

Yes, 4Runners have been built in Japan. Not sure about the 2025's, as they are basically a Tacoma. They could possibly end up being built in Mexico for the U.S. Hope not.

Saw an interview with the lead engineer on the Land Cruiser this week. He said most land cruisers were made in Hino because Tahara was at capacity, but that the 2025 4Runners would be made in Japan.

My guess is that Toyota is trying like hell to keep calling this the 2024 Land Cruiser and it takes precedence over the 2025 4Runner and that the QC hold delayed the roll out some so they are going to focus on the LC for now.

Saw an interview with the lead engineer on the Land Cruiser this week. He said most land cruisers were made in Hino because Tahara was at capacity, but that the 2025 4Runners would be made in Japan.

My guess is that Toyota is trying like hell to keep calling this the 2024 Land Cruiser and it takes precedence over the 2025 4Runner and that the QC hold delayed the roll out some so they are going to focus on the LC for now.
Mine was made in Takara based on Toyota specifications sheet. I assumed most were made there, but it makes sense that they pulled Hino in.

I think Toyota has everything going as planned. Any leaks that get out are purposely leaked. This “delay “ planned from the start. Look at the dealerships, 2024 4Runners all over the place.

Back