1958 - 275 70 R18 change in mpg

Yeah, if these numbers are correct, I'm thinking of bringing mine into the dealer to have them see if something's up.

14 mpg was a dissapointment. Not so much the MPG, but the fact that the fuel tank was made smaller because of the supposed fuel efficiency. My range on the highway was only around 250 miles or so.

Not trying to start shit at all, but you’re not getting 23-27 with those. Even over inflated. I don’t care where you live. Must have reset that on a hill and it was a short trip or something. For example, Mine says 30 mpg right now because I reset it at 10’000 feet elevation and went back to 5,000. If I had reset just before going up there it would be 17 at the top. But cool truck! Just don’t want people to get there hopes up 👍
That’s what I thought. I am only getting 20 average with the stock tires on my 1958. I am at almost 2k miles

Did you do the spare tire as well?

If so, did it fit in the wheel well under the vehicle
I have K03 275 in the spare, a very perfect tight fit. 275/70R18. I love these tires so far!

Attachments

• IMG_20240824_150121718.jpg
    IMG_20240824_150121718.jpg
    424.3 KB · Views: 23
I’m averaging (with heavy-ish AT tires):
15-17MPG city
19-22MPG 2-lane highway (50-65mph)
17-19MPG interstate (70-85 mph)
45-60MPG down the mountain
This is exactly what mine is getting, in the exact same situations. 18 city
20-22 two lane 50mpg
18-20 @ 70-80 mph
No downhill mountain but any real downhill drive at all 23-26 (which is almost never)
Stock tires at 33psi.

Yeah, if these numbers are correct, I'm thinking of bringing mine into the dealer to have them see if something's up.

14 mpg was a dissapointment. Not so much the MPG, but the fact that the fuel tank was made smaller because of the supposed fuel efficiency. My range on the highway was only around 250 miles or so.
Mine took a while to move off 17 with stock everything. 2500 miles so far with a mix of all conditions-Are you in Eco mode mostly ? And you have reset each fill up the cluster gage and the infotainment center, clear data ?
Each fill up on mine averaging let’s say 19/21 now says 315 to empty- and no I don’t do calculations- just going off all the data the LC shows. 14 mpg seems pretty low..

Mine took a while to move off 17 with stock everything. 2500 miles so far with a mix of all conditions-Are you in Eco mode mostly ? And you have reset each fill up the cluster gage and the infotainment center, clear data ?
Each fill up on mine averaging let’s say 19/21 now says 315 to empty- and no I don’t do calculations- just going off all the data the LC shows. 14 mpg seems pretty low..

I only drive in eco mode.

Going to Colorado, I reset the trip meter and it was giving me 13.9ish.

Coming back from Colorado, I didn't use the carputer at all but rather manually calculated myself and got in the low 14s.

Stronger headwind going to Colorado. Slight headwind coming home a week later.

Tire PSI was probably a little high: around 39 to 40 psi.

I'm hoping it's something that will improve over time. That said, in retrospect I would have gone with the Toyo AT3s in the same size, which according to specs weigh about 10 lbs less per tire.

Last edited:
I guess I’m in paralysis over which tire to choose. I have it narrowed down, but I am concerned about a decrease in MPG.. I do also get in the infotainment center and I do reset and clear all of the data. It’s just another place to let you kind of look at what’s going on. And headwind is definitely a thing.

Can't un-see the tiger stripes on that third pic of the KO3... lol
Oh geez I wish you hadnt said that, previously I was hung up on it looking like a chevron on a road sign marking a curve, now I got Tony the tiger stuck in there too! Doh. I couldn't unsee that pattern, had to go with Mickys

On topic .....800 miles on a FE still getting 16mpg 100% city driving rarely get above 50mph oh well just like my trusty ole FJ cruiser.

Oh geez I wish you hadnt said that, previously I was hung up on it looking like a chevron on a road sign marking a curve, now I got Tony the tiger stuck in there too! Doh. I couldn't unsee that pattern, had to go with Mickys

On topic .....800 miles on a FE still getting 16mpg 100% city driving rarely get above 50mph oh well just like my trusty ole FJ cruiser.
Good choice. ;)

See so many of these tires on SR5s around here, I really think many buy them because of their aggressive (now rather feline) look.

Back