18’’ or 20’’ for winter?

I am not buying separate wheels this time around but have done so several times and bought wheels, TPM sensors, and tires from Tire Rack and they always calibrated fine.

There are some advantages to just doing seasonal swaps on one set of wheels:

• Easier storage, tires are much lighter without air/wheels!
  • Don't need to buy second set of wheels
  • Don't need to buy/set up second set of TPMS
  • Winter tires can wear fast so you'll be installing a new set every ~4 years anyway
  • Support a local business that already fixes your flats for free.

Purely from a financial point of view, you'll of course come out ahead doing it yourself with the second set of wheels, but beyond just the total cost over a long period of time, it's not crazy to just do old fashioned seasonal swap.

Considering the same- dedicated winter wheels and tires- but concerned about tire pressure monitors. I know on my 100 series LC the sensors are inside the wheel, and I assumed it was the same on my 250. While the monitors are a luxury- I can certainly check my own tire pressure- I'd like to maintain the system for any new wheels I buy.

Is anyone adding new sensors when you buy new wheels? What does that look like when your wheel swap takes place going from summer to winter wheel/tire setups? Does it require calibration or does the car automatically pick up the new sensors?

Also, sensor part numbers would be great if you've bought them. Thanks!
I’m ordering these:
OEM TPMS sensor part# 42607-76020. Got them with 32% off from Toyota vendor online. Will let you know about my experience swapping wheels.

There are some advantages to just doing seasonal swaps on one set of wheels:

• Easier storage, tires are much lighter without air/wheels!
  • Don't need to buy second set of wheels
  • Don't need to buy/set up second set of TPMS
  • Winter tires can wear fast so you'll be installing a new set every ~4 years anyway
  • Support a local business that already fixes your flats for free.

Purely from a financial point of view, you'll of course come out ahead doing it yourself with the second set of wheels, but beyond just the total cost over a long period of time, it's not crazy to just do old fashioned seasonal swap.
I think you have some good points. Though I was planning to get a new set of 18’’ rims anyway (my LC came with pre-installed 20’’) as I’m planning to do more off-road next spring/summer. So now I’m debating whether I should just get a set of A/T with 3-peak rating vs winter tires, likely the latter as performance in snow/ice is so much better. And as you mentioned, having a second set will probably be more cost effective in the long term.

I just bought some LCLC take offs with original sensors in them. I have read that our vehicles can store two sets of TPMS codes so I guess I will find out if that is true or not.

Attachments

• IMG_0084.png
    IMG_0084.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
So now I’m debating whether I should just get a set of A/T with 3-peak rating vs winter tires
I’m giving it a shot this winter with the Falken wildpeaks. Ask me how it worked out next spring!

For reference I ski ~50 days up the #2 sketchiest road.

(It’s not actually that sketchy 99% of the time, but it was funny to see it in an article)

I’m ordering these:
OEM TPMS sensor part# 42607-76020. Got them with 32% off from Toyota vendor online. Will let you know about my experience swapping wheels.
Great info- thanks, crazycruiser! Eager to hear how it goes.

My preference is certainly going with two sets of wheels/tires- I do that with my BMW- which 1) allows for the proper tires on the road in both bad weather and good weather seasons, 2) uses up the 40,000 or so miles the OE Dunlop GrandTreks have ahead of them, and 3) puts a set of 18’ wheels in the garage along with the 20s the LC came with, which provides options for the future.

I just bought some LCLC take offs with original sensors in them. I have read that our vehicles can store two sets of TPMS codes so I guess I will find out if that is true or not.
Where did you find the take offs with TPMS sensors, batchelor22?

Great info- thanks, crazycruiser! Eager to hear how it goes.

My preference is certainly going with two sets of wheels/tires- I do that with my BMW- which 1) allows for the proper tires on the road in both bad weather and good weather seasons, 2) uses up the 40,000 or so miles the OE Dunlop GrandTreks have ahead of them, and 3) puts a set of 18’ wheels in the garage along with the 20s the LC came with, which provides options for the future.

Where did you find the take offs with TPMS sensors, batchelor22?
Local owner who upgraded to Tacoma 18” wheels and larger tires. Pure luck and timing. $400 for the set of 4

We may be only 2 of 3 LC owners in our small city.

Back