Unfiltered..... All New 2024 Toyota Land Cruiser LC400 Top Option Luxury Review Walkaround

I like it! That looks like a J250 First Edition for markets without the LC300 (hence the missing Prado badge on the back). Two tone Trail Dust is my new color; it looks better and better every time I see it. My 23 year old Jeep Wrangler TJ still looks great in Solar Yellow which is similar to Trail Dust.

I like it! That looks like a J250 First Edition for markets without the LC300 (hence the missing Prado badge on the back). Two tone Trail Dust is my new color; it looks better and better every time I see it. My 23 year old Jeep Wrangler TJ still looks great in Solar Yellow which is similar to Trail Dust.
Do you expect to be in a position to possibly be able to buy the two-tone? I had read those would be limited in numbers.

Do you expect to be in a position to possibly be able to buy the two-tone? I had read those would be limited in numbers.
Apparently 5000 for all of North America. Someone here did the math and that works out to 2 or 3 per dealer, I think (all things being equal). I suspect they will go to the highest bidder, but who knows.

Also, FWIW I don't think that's the Trail Dust colour. I believe Trail Dust may be exclusive to North America, and the one in Europe and elsewhere is more yellow. This one, Germany I think, is apparently called "Sand":

Last edited:
I don't expect I'll have an opportunity to buy a First Edition trim. I will not pay over MSRP because this would be a big problem if everybody did that. Iโ€™ve been watching color changes on the Rav4, so I expect Toyota will change the LC 250 color options from year to year. Yes, this implies Iโ€™m willing to wait a long time to get the LC 250 I want.

I switched my deposit from a Tacoma to a LC. My dealer stated LCs will be at MSRP including the First Editions. Just have to wait on pricing before any decisions are made. Iโ€™m #6 but 3 of the 6 started they wanted the 1958, so maybe Iโ€™ll get lucky.

Dealers will order some specific trims and colors based on your preference or they will get whatever Toyota will ship to them ?

Dealers will order some specific trims and colors based on your preference or they will get whatever Toyota will ship to them ?
No special/custom orders here in the USA for Toyota and Honda. If you get in line, I assume you can pass on trims/colors you don't want and wait for your preference to show up in the pipeline allocated for that dealer. There are no down payments at my local dealer until the vin number shows up in the pipeline. There are no dealer trades either I've been told.

My local dealer is requiring a $500 refundable deposit now to get on the wait list. You can give color and trim you want. You can pass and wait until what you what you want becomes available.

No special/custom orders here in the USA for Toyota and Honda. If you get in line, I assume you can pass on trims/colors you don't want and wait for your preference to show up in the pipeline allocated for that dealer. There are no down payments at my local dealer until the vin number shows up in the pipeline. There are no dealer trades either I've been told.
Is the "no dealer trades" protocol a function of the fact that all dealers will be able to sell whatever colors/trims the dealer receives?

Is the "no dealer trades" protocol a function of the fact that all dealers will be able to sell whatever colors/trims the dealer receives?
I suspect yes. The restriction is in place here locally for high demand vehicles.

I plan to do all maintenance and repairs myself including warranty work when possible, so I'm having a hard time with the idea of paying a dealership to limit my access to the LC 250 I want.

I plan to do all maintenance and repairs myself including warranty work when possible, so I'm having a hard time with the idea of paying a dealership to limit my access to the LC 250 I want.
This is kind of extreme because you may loose the warranty for good and risk to pay lot of money. Are you sure you can play with the hybrid system ?

This is kind of extreme because you may loose the warranty for good and risk to pay lot of money. Are you sure you can play with the hybrid system ?

Thanks, this is a really good point. Some here may have noticed Iโ€™m an anomaly; I could write a book on the subject. First, itโ€™s very important to not modify your vehicle in a way that could void the warranty. Second, you have to follow all manufacturer and supplier data for replacement parts and assembly processes. And last but not least, donโ€™t break anything. Repairability is a critical requirement for me, and I expect you will here more from me on the subject as I complete my initial repairability assessment of the Land Cruiser 250. The level of DIY Iโ€™m suggesting here is only appropriate for those who are sure they can do the work at a higher standard than the dealership.

It was very interesting for me. In US the basic maintenance (e.g. regular oil change) is very cheap compared to Europe. I did it for $18 for a regular SUV and for $27 for a V8 truck. At the dealership. America ! And they make a multipoint inspection you cannot DIY.
Another issue: in case of trouble how can you prove you did the maintenance correctly (right time/mileage, right procedure, right fluids....)?

Good question.

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (MMWA) applies here in the USA; passed by Congress in 1975 - Section 102(c), 15 U.S.C. 2302(c).

โ€œThe MMWA prohibits tying arrangements that condition coverage under a written warranty on the consumer's use of an article or service identified by brand, trade, or corporate name unless that article or service is provided without charge to the consumer.โ€

Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (MMWA).

I keep a complete maintenance log including part numbers and fluid types for all my vehicles. My goal is zero warranty claims, however the warranty keeps customers happy and is good for the industry.

This is even more interesting. Manufacturers and dealers must trust you DIY the right things when maintaining your truck, locomotive, marine engine or F-16 .... and cover the warranty for whatever may go wrong.
I doubt this is the purpose of that law. You can use a different authorized workshop/company or certify your own employees, but DIY as a person all along the warranty period is hard to believe.
On my EV they provide 6 years bumper to bumper warranty and 8 years on the battery. I bet it is lost if I do not visit a dealership yearly for inspection. Not much to do, but they check everything and maybe they update some software.

This is even more interesting. Manufacturers and dealers must trust you DIY the right things when maintaining your truck, locomotive, marine engine or F-16 .... and cover the warranty for whatever may go wrong.
I doubt this is the purpose of that law. You can use a different authorized workshop/company or certify your own employees, but DIY as a person all along the warranty period is hard to believe.
On my EV they provide 6 years bumper to bumper warranty and 8 years on the battery. I bet it is lost if I do not visit a dealership yearly for inspection. Not much to do, but they check everything and maybe they update some software.

The big print giveth and the little print taketh away :)

Back