Small Off-Road Adventure Trailer Talk

supersix

Administrator
Staff member
📛 Founding Member
Jul 7, 2023
Vehicles
2014 4runner, 2021 Bronco
As we await more news on the Land Cruiser,, I thought it would be beneficial to create a dedicated thread for discussing compact off-road trailers that are well-suited to the towing capabilities of the 2024+ Land Cruiser.

Bushwhacker-120k-specs.jpg

BRAXTON CREEK TEAR DROP-BUSHWHACKER 12ROK SPECS​

• Exterior Length
15' 9''
  • Exterior Width
6' 9''
  • Exterior Height
6' 10''
  • Axle Weight
1760 lbs
  • Interior Height
46''
  • Unloaded TT Weight
1940 lbs
  • Dry Hitch Weight
180 lbs
  • Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR)
3180 lbs
  • Cargo Carrying Capacity
1040 lbs
  • Fresh Water Capacity
24 gals

Last edited:
This new Winnebago Hike 100 FLX looks pretty cool!

Full walk-through of Winnebago's Hike 100 FLX travel trailer. This lightweight travel trailer boasts all Truma appliances (VarioHeat, AquaGo water heater and Aventa A/C) with lithium batteries and solar power so you can stay off-grid. This small camper trailer also has off-road suspension, a water recycling system and a bunch of other goodies. The back can be converted into a toy hauler or used to sleep friends and family.

As we await more news on the Land Cruiser,, I thought it would be beneficial to create a dedicated thread for discussing compact off-road trailers that are well-suited to the towing capabilities of the 2024+ Land Cruiser.

Great idea for a thread! Seriously contemplating a new small trailer to tow behind my new Land Cruiser.

While not necessarily an “adventure trailer,” Forest River makes some nicely configured popup campers with plenty of ground clearance and rugged tires. There are sold as the Rockwood ESP or Flagstaff SE series campers.

Here is our Rockwood 2280BHESP (which is definitely NOT short but still less than 3,500lbs. Private party these are going for around $10000-12000.

Attachments

• IMG_5451.jpeg
    IMG_5451.jpeg
    799.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_5450.jpeg
    IMG_5450.jpeg
    407.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_5398.jpeg
    IMG_5398.jpeg
    843.4 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_8151.jpeg
    IMG_8151.jpeg
    361.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_5340.jpeg
    IMG_5340.jpeg
    670.3 KB · Views: 33
While not necessarily an “adventure trailer,” Forest River makes some nicely configured popup campers with plenty of ground clearance and rugged tires. There are sold as the Rockwood ESP or Flagstaff SE series campers.

Here is our Rockwood 2280BHESP (which is definitely NOT short but still less than 3,500lbs. Private party these are going for around $10000-12000.
It's nice how compact it can be when trailering. How does your Gladiator do while towing it?

It's nice how compact it can be when trailering. How does your Gladiator do while towing it?
Gladiator does really well, it pulls it effortlessly. The trailer has brakes plus we use the weight distributing hitch when we are taking it on road trips. My only complaint is that the Jeep has infamously numb steering and it tends to wander on the road without ever moving the steering wheel, so I may need to make some minor suspension upgrades this summer. For that reason alone I tend to avoid road trips longer than 2-3 hours as road fatigue sets in quickly due to the constant fighting. I anticipate the LC being able to tow it just fine and hopefully the steering will be just as tight and responsive as I've come to expect from Toyota.

Nice little unit, and a decent compromise, but I hated having to pop it up in the garage to dry if it rained on the last day of camping (I swear 60% of the time) , plus the necessity to belly crawl in to access the fridge and not having the use of the kitchen while travelling, or the storage space or warmth in shoulder season of a full-sided trailer. Great for towing, but once you own a hard-side trailer, it's like power windows - you'll never go back in my opinion.

Largely depends on your climate, I suppose.

Those are all very valid points. We accept the compromises because we enjoy tent camping, just not the ground. This gives us a little bit of luxury while still feeling fully immersed in the woods. The power crank really makes raising the roof no big deal, but you’re right that it’s a pain unless you have a garage or covered space to air it out. Having been to a few RV shows now, I really don’t see us upgrading to anything other than maybe a hybrid trailer in the future. Mayyyybe an adventure trailer, but he likes his creature comforts. 😂

One of my LC200 friend have a BOREAS Camper XT, and we did a quick walkaround of it last year, it is a great offroad oriented camper, may have less comfort features than say an more luxury camper but it is going to be more durable off the beaten path.
Check it out.

Latest Discussions

Back